Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 09:41
SITE STAFF
Thanks. Feb 8

Michele Fauble wrote:
Maybe rethink the name.

Nope. The team and I like the name. As do the people who have used it so far.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Really? Feb 8

Tanya Quintieri wrote:
Really? So when you wrote the following, three days ago, you weren't talking about me (or my peers)?

Here we go again. Now you’re suggesting I’m lying.

Is this the positivity you want in the forums?

I apologised for my remark and the apology was accepted by the person it was aimed at. I’ve gone out of my way to make peace with you even though I wasn’t speaking to you. Why are you doubling down rather than building bridges? I really don’t understand your hostility.

Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
OK, here Feb 8

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I will just refer to an event posted by Tanya. I opened the event and there was no single intro, information, nothing about the event. Just the title. How am I supposed to make an informed decision about coming/not coming to an event that is so mysterious and lacks even a minimum intro or description? Don't take this as criticism but a friendly and logical piece of advice. Sorry can't remember the title, it was something about ProZ mentorship I believe. I was standing there in disbelief, there is an event invitation without any explanation whatsoever.

I don't prepare these events, I just give the team the details. Obviously, I would want and expect the info that I've spent time on putting together to be there. If you tell me a bit more, I can go back to the team and ask what happened.

I somehow dug it out, here it is:

https://live.remo.co/e/build-your-mentoring-program-20/register

An event with just a title and no intro, description or explanation. Try to put yourself in a visitor‘s shoes (as a web designer, you should be great at this) and see how much a clueless visitor will be informed about the event‘s content.

Angie Garbarino
Tanya Quintieri

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ha ha Feb 8

Michele Fauble wrote:

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

But I will say this about Pastey: It is NOT an AI tool per se. It is a companion app for desktop environments that allows users to leverage AI (ChatGPT) to the extent the human translator wants to combine their human expertise with artificial intelligence. You add your text by copying it into the tool and then pasting the output back into the source (hence the name). That can be a segment in your CAT tool or any text source you can edit (Word, browsers, Excel, chats, etc.).

Maybe rethink the name.

“Pasties (singular pasty or pastie)[1] are patches that cover a person's nipples and areolae, typically self-adhesive or affixed with adhesive. They originated as part of burlesque shows, allowing dancers to perform fully topless without exposing the nipples in order to provide a commercial form of bare-breasted entertainment.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasties

Reminds me of Clippy. (but with an unhealthily pale complexion)

Remember him/her? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant

Clippy

Christopher Schröder

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Yes, agreed Feb 8

Lingua 5B wrote:
I somehow dug it out, here it is:

https://live.remo.co/e/build-your-mentoring-program-20/register

An event with just a title and no intro, description or explanation. Try to put yourself in a visitor‘s shoes (as a web designer, you should be great at this) and see how much a clueless visitor will be informed about the event‘s content.

Thanks for digging, I appreciate it. You’re right, not good.

I did see that the Remo link didn’t have description, but I was under the impression that there was a landing page before that. However, it can’t be like this when we give out the direct link.

I’ll make sure to talk to my colleague about it and how we can handle this better for future events.

Again, thank you!

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
This is the only one I could find Feb 8

The event on ProZ was published without a description too, but I can‘t track the page now. Perhaps it was just an accidental omission. Was looking round and round to find out more about the event, but could not find anything but the title.

Tanya Quintieri

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
FWIW Feb 8

Lingua 5B wrote:

The event on ProZ was published without a description too, but I can‘t track the page now. Perhaps it was just an accidental omission. Was looking round and round to find out more about the event, but could not find anything but the title.

This was the description:

Description
(Part 1: Mentees)

🌐 Harnessing Our Community's Knowledge: With a vibrant community of over 1.4 million users, ProZ.com is a treasure trove of knowledge and expertise. We're excited to channel this collective wisdom into building a revolutionary new mentoring program – but we need your insights to make it truly impactful!

🔍 Your Input is Key: Instead of assuming what's best, we want to hear directly from you. This interactive session is all about uncovering what you, our community, really need from a top-notch mentoring program.

🌟 Focus on Mentees: In this inaugural session, Tanya Quintieri, our new Program Manager, will dive into the specific needs of both potential and current mentees.

✨ Interactive Format: Tanya will present three critical questions, each followed by breakout group discussions. This is where you come in – engage in thought-provoking conversations and then share your group’s insights with the larger audience.

🔔 Limited Seats Available: Participation is capped at 200 members, on a first-come, first-served basis. Be quick to secure your spot – while you can register to be notified about when the event starts, doors close once the 200th participant joins.

💬 Make a Difference: This is more than just an event; it's your opportunity to shape the future of our community. Your voice and ideas can drive the evolution of our mentoring program. Let's collaborate to make a tangible difference!

Don't miss out on this chance to contribute to the growth and development of the ProZ.com community. Register now and be part of shaping your ProZ.com Mentoring Program 2.0!

You're giving me some ideas on how to improve the way we advertise these events. Thanks again! I'm also still learning to navigate all our channels. I promise to do better going forward.

Good night to Bosnia and Herzegovina

Lingua 5B

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Were we supposed to know? Feb 8

Christopher Schröder wrote:
I made no assumptions about you. I didn't even know you existed. Please extend me the same courtesy. Your friend is quite capable of fighting his own corner.

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

Because as far as I know, I am the only one in the group who actually is a web designer. But of course, if you didn't know I existed, then that's just a whole lot of opinion based on very little knowledge, no?

As you said, enough is enough.

As well as we were supposed to know a certain *Susan* as if she were an old acquaintance of ours. Strange things are going on here lately. And I notice, I can't help, an underlying aggressiveness and hostility (see example above). No good sign.

Angie Garbarino
ibz
Grace Anderson
Rachel Waddington
Lieven Malaise
Charlie Bavington
Michele Fauble

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Staff communication 2.0 Feb 8

Christel Zipfel wrote:
And I notice, I can't help, an underlying aggressiveness and hostility (see example above). No good sign.

And coming from the person that was complaining about... "bullying, harassment, and uncalled-for behavior" on Proz. Remarkable. I predict a lot more heated arguments if this is supposed to be staff communication 2.0.

Philip Lees
Michele Fauble
Barbara Carrara
ibz
Christel Zipfel

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Who wrote this? Feb 8

Oh. Mah. Gawd. I would have agreed that ProZ is a 'site essentially for people who have a way with words', but once I see THIS, I am not quite so sure anymore (emphasis is mine):

🌐 Harnessing Our Community's Knowledge: With a vibrant community of over 1.4 million users, ProZ.com is a treasure trove of knowledge and expertise. We're excited to channel this collective wisdom into building a revolutionary new mentoring program – but we need your insights to make it truly impactful!

...Or is this kind of trite marketingspeak used intentionally, the same way as misspellings are introduced into scam e-mails so as only the most gullible and unthoughtful would respond to them?

Charlie Bavington
writeaway
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
ibz
P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
French to English
Just to compare Feb 8

I sent the following prompt to ChatGPT:
"Write me a short paragraph introducing a survey of the perceptions held by the users of a website. The website is intended as community of professionals, so this paragraph should be flattering about their skills and knowledge, how valued their input is, and sound generally upbeat."

The response:
"Welcome to our survey on the perceptions of our esteemed community of professionals! Your expertise, knowledge, and invaluable contribut
... See more
I sent the following prompt to ChatGPT:
"Write me a short paragraph introducing a survey of the perceptions held by the users of a website. The website is intended as community of professionals, so this paragraph should be flattering about their skills and knowledge, how valued their input is, and sound generally upbeat."

The response:
"Welcome to our survey on the perceptions of our esteemed community of professionals! Your expertise, knowledge, and invaluable contributions form the bedrock of our vibrant platform. As we embark on this journey to gain deeper insights into your perceptions, we are immensely grateful for your unwavering dedication and the wealth of experience you bring to our digital table. Your voices matter profoundly, shaping the very essence of our community, and we are eager to hear your thoughts and perspectives. Together, let's continue to illuminate the path forward with positivity, collaboration, and a shared commitment to excellence. Thank you for being an integral part of our community journey!"
Collapse

writeaway
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 02:42
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wow... Feb 8

I'm looking at the number... "1.4 million". Even if only 5% of them (70,000) are actively chasing agencies, that makes a few thousands from each European language pair pushing resumes through the door. Wow!

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:42
Greek to English
I am one Feb 9

Zea_Mays wrote:

ProZ has become almost useless these days and until they change

in order to decide whether or not to discontinue my membership

There have been a number of people who have not renewed their paid membership recently ...

For the record, as some of the regular posters may remember, after 15 years' membership in ProZ I cancelled my subscription towards the end of last year.

Part of the reason was dissatisfaction with some of the issues mentioned during the course of this discussion. However, it was mainly because I found the attitudes and behaviour of some senior ProZ staff members offensive. So I decided that ProZ was no longer an organisation I wanted to support financially.

Now I see the same kind of attitudes and behaviour from other ProZ staff members throughout the current thread. The disease appears to be spreading.

It makes me glad I left.

Lieven Malaise
Barbara Carrara
ibz
Grace Anderson
Dan Lucas
Christel Zipfel
P.L.F. Persio

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:42
Greek to English
Extras for writers Feb 9

Michael Beijer wrote:

Reminds me of Clippy. (but with an unhealthily pale complexion)

http://www.philiplees.com/word/

P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:42
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Me too Feb 9

Philip Lees wrote:

For the record, as some of the regular posters may remember, after 15 years' membership in ProZ I cancelled my subscription towards the end of last year.

Part of the reason was dissatisfaction with some of the issues mentioned during the course of this discussion. However, it was mainly because I found the attitudes and behaviour of some senior ProZ staff members offensive. So I decided that ProZ was no longer an organisation I wanted to support financially.

Now I see the same kind of attitudes and behaviour from other ProZ staff members throughout the current thread. The disease appears to be spreading.

It makes me glad I left.

Me too. Not only because of the attitudes and behaviours of some Proz moderators / staff members but also because in spite of all the nice words and big plans, lots of questions remain unanswered and technical problems are not solved.
I'm referring to the threads in the Site Forums, AI for translators and interpreters, ProZ.com suggestions.

So after many years as a paying member, I also decided to cancel my automatic membership renewal.

Lieven Malaise
Philip Lees
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara
Thomas T. Frost
Michele Fauble

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »