Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 11:23
SITE STAFF
Enlighten me Feb 7

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

... he decided to open a different one where he would share his advice for a fee.

How is that wrong? And if you're throwing it out there, just for the sake of a complete picture: He didn't charge for his advice. He charged his members for curating and creating content.

Funny that it's only those who never opted for membership complaining. I don't hear the same from people who have benefitted from the spaces he created...

And yes, it is off-topic. So perhaps we can stop it.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
French to English
You did say "Enlighten me" Feb 7

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

How is that wrong? .... And yes, it is off-topic.

I genuinely think you must be surely unaware of an earlier backstory here that some of us know about, pre-dating TM on FB. I did email you with a view to enlightening you earlier in the day. I won't persist because it is, as you say, OT.

Angie Garbarino
Christopher Schröder

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Nope Feb 7

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Tanya Quintieri wrote:

How is that wrong? .... And yes, it is off-topic.

I genuinely think you must be surely unaware of an earlier backstory here that some of us know about, pre-dating TM on FB. I did email you with a view to enlightening you earlier in the day. I won't persist because it is, as you say, OT.

I’m not unaware. I was there. Didn’t receive any email, by the way. But it’s not necessary either.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Well... Feb 7

Tanya Quintieri wrote:
Odd... I would say a lot of what happens could be seen as abusive. There's subtle and not so subtle bullying, harassment, and uncalled-for behavior.

Bullying, harassment, violence... Aren't you a little bit exaggerating?

Philip Lees
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Zea_Mays
Angie Garbarino
Michele Fauble
Robert Rietvelt

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 04:23
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Ahem... [a little off topic] Feb 8

There was a period of 11 years supporting five people (two of them with full living expenses for a while). My youngest daughter "clocked me" at some point 7 weeks without leaving the front door (delivery was bringing me cigs). About 4 hrs sleep, and impossible quantities of coffee.
During that time I also quit Proz, Facebook, etc., anything that was an interruption or a temptation.
When everyone was fine and back on their feet, I kept on (inertia...) for one more year, until the news
... See more
There was a period of 11 years supporting five people (two of them with full living expenses for a while). My youngest daughter "clocked me" at some point 7 weeks without leaving the front door (delivery was bringing me cigs). About 4 hrs sleep, and impossible quantities of coffee.
During that time I also quit Proz, Facebook, etc., anything that was an interruption or a temptation.
When everyone was fine and back on their feet, I kept on (inertia...) for one more year, until the news came from... the dentist: "your BP is too high for any operation" (190-200, not a typo). The exam that followed revealed a long list of things, which I now carry proudly ("can you believe I was still alive?").
Then I started sleeping and turning down projects, as a result work slowed down significantly over time (given the MT/TM combo as well, plus the admission of thousands of "covid-era" new translators).
So I started complaining - "I want my atherosclerotic chains back". That was my first wake-up call. I had no reason to complain, mission had been accomplished, so why I was pissed off... did I want to continue working like that until I die, and then enjoy life? Lots and lots of people are in the same trap, it's human nature to be insecure.
Then the second wake up call came today - when Dan wrote "I and many others pay a substantial sum for the service" - so I said to myself "what, $10-15/month is substantial? I smoke that money every single day before it's even noon!". I need to reduce smoking. Substantially.
Yeah, for a few years I had a serious reason, but afterwards I didn't have a reason. So I came back at Proz without a reason, and I didn't expect anything. It's cheap, why not, I thought... I noticed the forums have changed, nowadays they turn negative very quickly.
The thing is that with so many members, it's impossible for any platform to provide anything that would fully satisfy even 20% of them. I'm not even sure what I'm doing here, other than trying to feel the "pulse" of one side of the market, perhaps? To witness the explosive growth of available translators? Well, the tech forums are good, I guess...
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
ProZ perceptions Feb 8

I did my share, too. ProZ has become almost useless these days and until they change - I suggested they go out and look for decent offers rather than wait for bottom payers to send them offers. Maybe even make it a paying platform - nobody does anything worthwhile for free!

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 04:23
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
That is a huge topic Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote:
As a member of a BUSINESS, you will NEVER be aggressive with CLIENTS, even if they are. Because they pay your rent (or your Porsche).
You'll rather try to understand what problem they are experiencing and how you can solve it. This is called customer care.

I'm sure you mean within reason.
Because the client is not paying your rent. You pay each other. You are paying him too (your work is money, he's not getting it free elsewhere).
Your work is paying his rent and the rent of his office buddies (without your work, he wouldn't have clients either). Do you know how many people are getting paid commissions of commissions of commissions in the upper echelons of the large translation agencies? It's your agreed rate that provides them with multi-level compensation systems, health insurance, paid vacations, company parties etc. This is all deducted from your rate.
Polite behavior is included in the standard price from both sides. If one side wants to be rude, that's extra charge (that's the point where the "huge conversation" starts - how much for how bad).
People who bend too much may have a competitive advantage, but they can't enjoy it (because of the bending).
It's a huge topic.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
@Tanya Feb 8

Thank you for your reaction!

I don't see bullying, violence and abusing behaviour, but what I do see (and experience myself) is growing frustration about the non-reaction of ProZ to many suggestions, inquiries and complaints.
Many of us have participated in fora, voiced our opinion, discussed and made suggestions for improvements (time invested by us!), but nothing ever happened. So why asking for our perception and experience again?

We have been telling you about
... See more
Thank you for your reaction!

I don't see bullying, violence and abusing behaviour, but what I do see (and experience myself) is growing frustration about the non-reaction of ProZ to many suggestions, inquiries and complaints.
Many of us have participated in fora, voiced our opinion, discussed and made suggestions for improvements (time invested by us!), but nothing ever happened. So why asking for our perception and experience again?

We have been telling you about bugs that are here for months (missing notifications and others), but also discussed fundamental questions such as the (in-)famous inclusion of ChatGPT into KudoZ or its profile, the use of so-called statistics or the restricted format. Questions raised in these discussions are very rarely answered by ProZ, instead moderators tend to disappear. This is my experience during the last few months, not satisfying at all.

[Edited at 2024-02-08 09:11 GMT]
Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2024-02-08 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Barbara Carrara
Lieven Malaise
Jennifer Levey
Tanya Quintieri

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spokesperson? Feb 8

Tanya,

A question for you, after you barged in (still clueless as to why, since you had no part in the conversation), Andrew Morris has disappeared from this thread. But, I have to add, with no difference in terms of the abrasive quality in the ProZ-staff posts, Jared's one being the exception.
So, are you here as Andrew's spokesperson?

Since your recent appearance as a new staff member on the ProZ stage, in your capacity as 'program manager', you alternatively in
... See more
Tanya,

A question for you, after you barged in (still clueless as to why, since you had no part in the conversation), Andrew Morris has disappeared from this thread. But, I have to add, with no difference in terms of the abrasive quality in the ProZ-staff posts, Jared's one being the exception.

Since your recent appearance as a new staff member on the ProZ stage, in your capacity as 'program manager', you alternatively introduced yourself in your profile page and the fora (including this one) as a 'web designer', in charge of 'various programs for our members', running 'tech and post series' (whatever that is), 'TM as a sister space forum', the Pastey (yuck!) thingy and the mentoring program (BTW, there are still people in one of your duplicate threads waiting for a reply).
Do all the above fall into your multi-hat-wearing role as 'program manager'? What exactly does that entail?
Can you please clarify the above for me?
Thanks.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Lieven Malaise
Jennifer Levey
ibz
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
variety is the salt of life 🙏 Feb 8

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Tanya Quintieri wrote:
Odd... I would say a lot of what happens could be seen as abusive. There's subtle and not so subtle bullying, harassment, and uncalled-for behavior.

Bullying, harassment, violence... Aren't you a little bit exaggerating?

I was thinking the same. Maybe having issues dealing with rough edges is a generation thing.
I just see a great variety of people, each with their own personality and way of expressing it. 🍀
If it was not like that and everyone was coming across as the same totalitarian toothpaste-advertising-smiling-people, I would be very afraid.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-08 09:00 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble
Robert Rietvelt
Philip Lees
Thomas T. Frost

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote:
If it was not like that and everyone was coming across as the same totalitarian toothpaste-advertising-smiling-people, I would be very afraid.

Exactly. It's actually quite simple: everything that's not forbidden by the forum rules is allowed. And if you can't stand the heat...

Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Back on topic - the survey Feb 8

I have completed the survey too and am giving ProZ credit of good intentions. It seems to me that the people there are really interested in making things better. Perhaps they just have to figure out how to actually do it. If technical problems persist even after years(!), maybe the fixes used are not the right ones.
What I would add to the survey are some additional points like:
- What are the most helpful features of the platform for you? (perhaps adding also the reasons)
- Wh
... See more
I have completed the survey too and am giving ProZ credit of good intentions. It seems to me that the people there are really interested in making things better. Perhaps they just have to figure out how to actually do it. If technical problems persist even after years(!), maybe the fixes used are not the right ones.
What I would add to the survey are some additional points like:
- What are the most helpful features of the platform for you? (perhaps adding also the reasons)
- What are the less useful? Reasons?
- What would you add to the platform?
What would be your responses?
Collapse

Tanya Quintieri

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Charlie Who? Feb 8

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Dear Charlie

I have never met you, interacted with you, or even heard your name in my life.

By contrast, I have worked day in, day out, with Tanya on a huge number of projects for about 5 years.

And yet you purport to be emailing her to dish the dirt on me from something that apparently happened 6 years ago? It would be risible if it weren't actually tragic.

Try letting go, living in this decade, and enjoying your own life to the max.

That's 100% free advice, in case my homie Chris is looking (and apology noted, old chap, and gratefully accepted).

Tanya Quintieri

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Talkin' bout my generation???? Feb 8

Zea_Mays wrote:

I was thinking the same. Maybe having issues dealing with rough edges is a generation thing.

I just love this. I agree with much of what Tanya said... and I'm 60 this year.

Nothing to do with snowflakery. Much to do with professionalism and humanity.

Tanya Quintieri

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
Oooh-la-la Feb 8

Barbara Carrara wrote:

Tanya,

A question for you, after you barged in (still clueless as to why, since you had no part in the conversation),

Wasn't aware that my appearance requires your invitation.

Andrew Morris has disappeared from this thread. But, I have to add, with no difference in terms of the abrasive quality in the ProZ-staff posts, Jared's one being the exception.

Won't answer that. I'll just let it sit there for people to take in...

Since your recent appearance as a new staff member on the ProZ stage, in your capacity as 'program manager', you alternatively introduced yourself in your profile page and the fora (including this one) as a 'web designer', in charge of 'various programs for our members', running 'tech and post series' (whatever that is), 'TM as a sister space forum', the Pastey (yuck!) thingy and the mentoring program (BTW, there are still people in one of your duplicate threads waiting for a reply).
Do all the above fall into your multi-hat-wearing role as 'program manager'? What exactly does that entail?
Can you please clarify the above for me?
Thanks.

I'll ignore your condescending tone. I am here as a human being that happens to work part-time for ProZ.com as Program Manager. Meaning, I am developing programs for our members, including a new mentoring program. And I happen to be an entrepreneur the rest of the time, dividing said time between my own translation and web design business and running a tech company that is totally unrelated to any of the above.

Does that answer your question?

Andrew Morris

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »