Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:24
Greek to English
Positive Feb 5

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I wasn’t allowed to join the group because it’s run and moderated by Andrew Morris, who doesn’t tolerate dissenting opinions.

Presumably then Chris, the "feedback" you were referring to in an earlier post on this thread is uniformly positive.

Christopher Schröder
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Barbara Carrara

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Thank you Feb 5

Found it! BTW: There are 70,000 members there.

Barbara Carrara

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:24
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
- Feb 5

I guess they just want to bring it all together, and to avoid only reacting to the loudest voices.

Tanya Quintieri
Andrew Morris

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
A reaction would be nice Feb 5

Peter Motte wrote:

I guess they just want to bring it all together, and to avoid only reacting to the loudest voices.

The problem is that they don't react to anything. If you have a look at all the threads where problems, bugs and proposals are discussed, you will see that I mean ...

Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Philip Lees
Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another group Feb 5

There’s also the Translation Mastermind group on Facebook, a paid thing which is now some kind of joint venture between ProZ and Andrew Morris. I think you pay to be part of an exclusively positive community of translators and get tips on how to be a successful translator from people who are so successful as translators that they have to branch out into being gurus and web designers and forum curators in order to make ends meet. Obviously I wouldn’t be welcome 😂😂

Both grou
... See more
There’s also the Translation Mastermind group on Facebook, a paid thing which is now some kind of joint venture between ProZ and Andrew Morris. I think you pay to be part of an exclusively positive community of translators and get tips on how to be a successful translator from people who are so successful as translators that they have to branch out into being gurus and web designers and forum curators in order to make ends meet. Obviously I wouldn’t be welcome 😂😂

Both groups may take a very different line on AI to what most on these forums do. Then again, they might not. Henry has been very quiet on the subject since the Zoom meeting but ProZ’s position is pretty clear from their actions, and from a commercial perspective it probably makes sense for them.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Barbara Carrara
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Christel Zipfel
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Charlie Bavington

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
AI is not an argument Feb 5

AI is behind most of today's tools. So if you're not building THE ultimative AI translation tool, you better not brag about it too much.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Wrong Feb 6

I wasn’t allowed to join the group because it’s run and moderated by Andrew Morris, who doesn’t tolerate dissenting opinions.

Way out of date, my friend. I haven't been moderating that group for at least 18 months. Facts are such pesky little things, but they're kinda non-negotiable.

Where you ARE right is that healthy communities tend not to welcome sarcasm, vindictiveness and cynicism, finding such qualities rather toxic. As you so ably and consistently demonstrate.

Tom in London
Jorge Payan
Christopher Schröder

Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
SITE STAFF
I beg to differ Feb 6

Since I am (also) web designer, I beg to differ. I didn't have to branch out. I chose to. Because I could. And because my client base needed more of an integrated approach to corporate communications.

Andrew Morris
Christopher Schröder

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Too right Feb 6

Since I am (also) web designer, I beg to differ. I didn't have to branch out. I chose to. Because I could. And because my client base needed more of an integrated approach to corporate communications.

Besides, this idea of only ever being able to do one thing in life is a bit 1973. We're all plural now. This is the 21st century after all (for some of us).

Yours

A failed translator moonlighting as the coordinator of a global project and all because he couldn't find work. Apparently.

(PS This is fun!)

Tanya Quintieri
Jorge Payan

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
English to German
+ ...
Definition of the word futile... Feb 6

Barbara Carrara wrote:

ProZ have launched a survey called 'Understanding perceptions of ProZ.com' (!) in the New at ProZ.com section of the site,

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z87HPHX

As if we haven't voiced our concerns - pardon me, perceptions - enough in these pages...

Well I participated in the survey anyway and told them my opinion. Hasn't changed since 2006.

Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:24
English to German
+ ...
Proz.com team Feb 6

Andrew Morris wrote:

A failed translator moonlighting as the coordinator of a global project and all because he couldn't find work. Apparently.

(PS This is fun!)

You're on the Proz.com team I see. What significance does this survey really have?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Really speechless Feb 6

Andrew Morris wrote:

Way out of date, my friend. I haven't been moderating that group for at least 18 months. Facts are such pesky little things, but they're kinda non-negotiable.

Where you ARE right is that healthy communities tend not to welcome sarcasm, vindictiveness and cynicism, finding such qualities rather toxic. As you so ably and consistently demonstrate.

... and as a longstanding ProZ member, I find these observations of a ProZ team member very inappropriate or even quite offensive, to say the least.

Arabic & More
ibz
writeaway
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Survey (n/v): investigate the opinions or experience of (a group of people) by asking them questions Feb 7

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

You're on the Proz.com team I see. What significance does this survey really have?

Well, the same as any survey by any company. It's to explore/discover the current state of users' perceptions. Not really rocket science.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Speechless? Really? Feb 7

Christel Zipfel wrote:

... and as a longstanding ProZ member, I find these observations of a ProZ team member very inappropriate or even quite offensive, to say the least.

Well as a longstanding member of the human race, I find your sense of inappropriateness and ability to take offence highly selective, which could in itself be considered offensive.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
@Andrew Feb 7

I find your answer (as well as your previous posts) rather condescending.
Since ProZ likes to quote surveys and statistics to support its own opinion and justify its own actions, the question of what purpose this serves is justified.
What's more, these surveys are interpreted quite liberally, to put it that way.
I like to remind you of the survey on the use of AI by translators. Henry still owes us precise information on these so-called statistics. As goes for other threads wh
... See more
I find your answer (as well as your previous posts) rather condescending.
Since ProZ likes to quote surveys and statistics to support its own opinion and justify its own actions, the question of what purpose this serves is justified.
What's more, these surveys are interpreted quite liberally, to put it that way.
I like to remind you of the survey on the use of AI by translators. Henry still owes us precise information on these so-called statistics. As goes for other threads where critical views are voiced, ProZ remains schtumm or the thread is changed to the restricted format (sorry: it's officially called "inclusive").

To quote yourself:

Andrew Morris wrote:

Maybe you should read your posts again...

[Edited at 2024-02-07 07:13 GMT]
Collapse

Philip Lees
Rachel Waddington
Emily Gilby
Apolonia Dermit
Barbara Carrara
Jennifer Levey
Anna Sarah Krämer

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »