Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Haifa Sep 18, 2023

Haifa Abu Khdair wrote:
It's a literary text in PDF format. The text consists of nearly 2000 words. The deadline is 48 hours from receiving the file. ... I found the job post on Facebook. I didn't find enough information about the company except for the location, which is in Saudi Arabia.

Have they agreed to your rate yet? Have you asked them for their email address, street address and phone number yet? The fact that you don't know who the company is or where they are situated or how to contact them by email or phone is a red flag. An honest company would not hesitate sharing that kind of information with you.

All the time that we spend on getting new clients is part of a gamble, but you should not spend a lot of time on a job that is a big gamble unless it is also a big job with favourable conditions. The fact that they require turnaround in 48 hours is also unusual (unless the client is trying to prevent a situation where a test translator gets his translation proofread by another translator).

expressisverbis wrote:
I wouldn't accept any translation tasks coming from Facebook, WA, or any other media. Work and translation tests only via email.

I agree. Advertising a job via Facebook or having the initial contact via Facebook is fine, but at some point the discussion must turn serious, and then it's email. Also, having a quick chat with the translator via e.g. Facebook Messenger is okay, but any agreements must be confirmed via email.

[Edited at 2023-09-18 06:42 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Haifa Abu Khdair

Haifa Abu Khdair
Haifa Abu Khdair
Jordan
Local time: 20:03
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
rate Sep 18, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

Haifa Abu Khdair wrote:
It's a literary text in PDF format. The text consists of nearly 2000 words. The deadline is 48 hours from receiving the file. ... I found the job post on Facebook. I didn't find enough information about the company except for the location, which is in Saudi Arabia.

Have they agreed to your rate yet? Have you asked them for their email address, street address and phone number yet? The fact that you don't know who the company is or where they are situated or how to contact them by email or phone is a red flag. An honest company would not hesitate sharing that kind of information with you.

All the time that we spend on getting new clients is part of a gamble, but you should not spend a lot of time on a job that is a big gamble unless it is also a big job with favourable conditions. The fact that they require turnaround in 48 hours is also unusual (unless the client is trying to prevent a situation where a test translator gets his translation proofread by another translator).

expressisverbis wrote:
I wouldn't accept any translation tasks coming from Facebook, WA, or any other media. Work and translation tests only via email.

I agree. Advertising a job via Facebook or having the initial contact via Facebook is fine, but at some point the discussion must turn serious, and then it's email. Also, having a quick chat with the translator via e.g. Facebook Messenger is okay, but any agreements must be confirmed via email.

[Edited at 2023-09-18 06:42 GMT]

"The rate is around $3 per 1000 words. I searched for the company on Google but didn't find enough
information, such as a website. Frankly speaking, I accepted the test to add more work to my portfolio. The text was difficult, so i couldn't finish it in two days.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Test sample

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »