Subtitle Edit Software training
Thread poster: KingNate111
KingNate111
KingNate111
United States
Aug 23, 2023

HI. I am just learning about Subtitle Edit and I have the Beta version 3.6.13! I have found no step by step full course on the software yet and that is amazing because the software looks very, very promising. I have found unstructured videos on Youtube that talk about different aspects but nothing that is step by step for beginners of the software. Does this type of course even exist or do you know? thanks

David Kane
David Kane  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:30
Member (2022)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not sure if this helps Aug 23, 2023

I was all happy to respond to you, but when I went to get the link, I was reminded that this course is in Portuguese. So, not sure if it will be of much help for you. But it's a great course.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVNr8HfN0OtaE7vgErJfraPmOknejs5fn

Yaotl Altan

KingNate111
KingNate111
United States
TOPIC STARTER
David Kane Aug 23, 2023

Thank you so much. Funny enough I might have to use Subtitle Edit to add English subtitles to the videos to understand how to operate Subtitle Edit. LOL

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:30
English to Russian
Try this Aug 26, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG8jlFKr-RtdO_r3YAp9cncEEqJRkIltB

And this for Subtitle Edit 4 beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0NcA5opQ0

[Edited at 2023-08-26 00:58 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan

KingNate111
KingNate111
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Aug 26, 2023

Stepan Konev and David Kane. Thank you very much.

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
freeware Sep 5, 2023

subtitle edit, if it is freeware I will tell you now, it's a waste of time!!! Ooona can be accessed for a little as $10 a week.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ooona cost Sep 5, 2023

Brian Joyce wrote:
subtitle edit, if it is freeware I will tell you now, it's a waste of time!!!
Why do you say that if you never tried it?
According to Ooona web site, for $10 per week it can only create and translate subtitles. If you also want to convert audio to text (transcribe), you have to shell out additional $20 per week. If you also want to burn your titles into your video, add $33 per week. 10+20+33 = 66 x 4 = $264 per month. Or you can buy a package for $248 per month.

Subtitle Edit can do all the same for $0.

@David Kane:
BTW Subtitle Edit 4.0 is available: https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases/download/4.0.0/SubtitleEdit-4.0.0-Setup.zip

[Edited at 2023-09-05 22:34 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Milan Condak
expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Libre Sep 6, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

It's not about the price, Stepan. It's about freedom. I wouldn't mind paying an annual subscription fee to use SE, as long as it remains fully libre and open source. Nikse and co. deserve the appreciation.

OOONA doesn't respect Firefox users, anyway.

[Edited at 2023-09-06 11:37 GMT]

Stepan Konev

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Freeware and the time cost. Sep 7, 2023

[quote]Stepan Konev wrote:

Brian Joyce wrote:
subtitle edit, if it is freeware I will tell you now, it's a waste of time!!!
Why do you say that if you never tried it?
According to Ooona web site, for $10 per week it can only create and translate subtitles. If you also want to convert audio to text (transcribe), you have to shell out additional $20 per week. If you also want to burn your titles into your video, add $33 per week. 10+20+33 = 66 x 4 = $264 per month. Or you can buy a package for $248 per month.

Descript can do the transcribing very cheaply, as far as burning goes, my Wonderfox does that and much more for the one off payment of $20. Freeware is a waste of time, fact.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Tutorial Sep 9, 2023

Meh. HandBrake is the far superior media encoder and it respects my freedom.

@KingNate111
In theory, I could make some tutorial videos showcasing my workflow in SE. Auf anglais, of course. But I don't have good audio recording peripherals, and I'm not buying a Blue mic just for this. Would you be OK with a robot voice?

[Edited at 2023-09-09 06:28 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Re: bold statements Sep 9, 2023

Brian Joyce wrote:
Freeware is a waste of time, fact.
First of all, you have never worked with Subtitle Edit but still you judge it. This fact alone is totally unprofessional.
It goes without saying.

Second, even Netflix recommends using Subtitle Edit on their website. If they considered it to be a waste of time, I don't believe they would display any video about Subtitle Edit.

Mr. Satan (X)
Yaotl Altan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Edit Software training

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »