Thread poster: Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 21:39
German to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I\'m having a bit of trouble with PayPal. I operate from at least three addresses, due to tax reasons and the fact that businesses in some countries cannot accept foreign invoices. One is in Turkey, one in Israel and one in Germany.

I subscribed to PayPal about four weeks ago. I entered the site, realised they don\'t list Turkey (or Israel) as a country of residence (why not?) and hence gave them my German address.

In good fait
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I\'m having a bit of trouble with PayPal. I operate from at least three addresses, due to tax reasons and the fact that businesses in some countries cannot accept foreign invoices. One is in Turkey, one in Israel and one in Germany.

I subscribed to PayPal about four weeks ago. I entered the site, realised they don\'t list Turkey (or Israel) as a country of residence (why not?) and hence gave them my German address.

In good faith, I had several hundred $ sent to the account by individuals I had done work for. Since I seemed to have finally found a way of paying for a Platinum membership in Proz, I decided to upgrade my membership here using my funds in PayPal, only to find, that they won\'t let me touch the money unless I have a credit card.

I don\'t have a credit card, mainly because I choose not to have one anyway, but also because a Turkish bank won\'t give me a credit card based on being a foreigner with a freelance income, same in Israel. I don\'t actually have a bank account in Germany, sometimes payments are sent to a friends account.

I told PayPal about the situation and they insist I have to have a credit card, which I can\'t get (and don\'t want to). They never talked about a credit card being required at registration.

I also can\'t transfer it to any German bank account, because again, they insist on having a credit card (in my name).

Is my money lost? What can I do? Has anyone made similar experiences?
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
German to English
+ ...
Keep at them Mar 11, 2003

Hi Klaus,

I have not had problems with PayPal because I have a credit card, but my experience with customer service at companies like this is that you have to be persistent and insist on getting what you need from them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so find the phone no. on the Web site, call them again, insist on speaking to a supervisor, and then keep speaking to the next supervisor and politely insisting until they give you a solution.

Hope it wo
... See more
Hi Klaus,

I have not had problems with PayPal because I have a credit card, but my experience with customer service at companies like this is that you have to be persistent and insist on getting what you need from them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so find the phone no. on the Web site, call them again, insist on speaking to a supervisor, and then keep speaking to the next supervisor and politely insisting until they give you a solution.

Hope it works out!
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:39
Russian to English
+ ...
They had me tearing my hair out... Mar 22, 2003

...with their requests for additional ID and a new credit card - this after I\'d already taken money out and put money in for over a year.

Finally got there, but it took about 5 faxes and one very long and irate phone call which was like talking to a lemonhead on a loop.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 20:39
French to English
+ ...
I don't have a credit card either... Mar 29, 2003

... and had the same problem as you, Klaus, whebn I opened an account. Fortunately, I hadn\'t used the account and so I closed it and went to www.moneybookers.com

Vadim Zima
Vadim Zima  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:39
English to Russian
+ ...
I am sorry for you guys but I like PayPal policies regarding the above mentioned situations Mar 30, 2003

I heard horror stories about PayPal from my Russian clients, working as software engineers here in Seattle area. They had numerous problems with their accounts after trying to log on to them while being in Russia on vacation. PayPal immediately locks them when an attempt is made to enter the system from an IP address, located in a black-listed or unapproved nation.

Even though Russia is my homeland, and I may sound unpatriotic I am very glad PayPal takes such precautions. Th
... See more
I heard horror stories about PayPal from my Russian clients, working as software engineers here in Seattle area. They had numerous problems with their accounts after trying to log on to them while being in Russia on vacation. PayPal immediately locks them when an attempt is made to enter the system from an IP address, located in a black-listed or unapproved nation.

Even though Russia is my homeland, and I may sound unpatriotic I am very glad PayPal takes such precautions. There are way too many people who will get into your virtual wallet if they don\'t enforce strict security.

I LOVE PayPal for taking such good care of my money.

[ This Message was edited by: zima on 2003-03-30 09:55]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
A credit card isn't enough Mar 30, 2003

Hi

I live in Chile and my credit card is from an account that I have in France.

Before opening an account with PayPal I wanted to check that with my French credit card I\'d be able to withdraw my money.

I sent several mails to their client service to ask and I always got standard answers that only showed that they hadn\'t read my mails.

I put in the subject line something like \"READ ME BEFORE ANSWERING\", and it worked (the second ti
... See more
Hi

I live in Chile and my credit card is from an account that I have in France.

Before opening an account with PayPal I wanted to check that with my French credit card I\'d be able to withdraw my money.

I sent several mails to their client service to ask and I always got standard answers that only showed that they hadn\'t read my mails.

I put in the subject line something like \"READ ME BEFORE ANSWERING\", and it worked (the second time).

The answer is that the credit card has to be from the country where you live.

I think this is ridiculous as long as the credit card is an international one, but maybe there\'s a reason I miss.
Collapse

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Need to read May 11, 2003

Dear Klaus,

Correct me if I\'m mistaken but when you registere PayPal does tell you that yoy will need a credit card to withdraw the money. It is a shame that we, translators, sometimes do not read the conditions. I registered with PayPal and everytime I do some work I pray not to be paid through them because I understand that I\'ll have to upgrade my membership(paying of course)and will have to pay commision on the money I receive

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal membership - misleading or what?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »