Court Interpreters
Thread poster: lidiana
lidiana
lidiana
English to Spanish
Feb 16, 2003

Does anyone have any information on being a court interpreter, good and bad?

It is something I would like to study for, but I never see any employement ads for.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

((¸¸.·´ Lily .·´¨¨)) ((¸¸.·´*

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* :¦:-

-:¦:-

Adrian Woods (X)
Adrian Woods (X)
Spanish to English
Court Interpreter - Which country? Feb 27, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-02-16 20:23, lidiana wrote:

Does anyone have any information on being a court interpreter, good and bad?

It is something I would like to study for, but I never see any employement ads for.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Which country are you in?

In Spain, it is the Interprete Jurado who acts court interpreter, although Judges can appoint special interpreters to cover the court\'s needs.

Check with the Oficina de Interpretacion de Lenguas at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madrid, as they examine on a (usually) yearly basis.

The US and UK have different procedures the professional associations there ATA, ITI, IoL should be able to point you toward.

If you work for clients (Law Firms) directly, you should be able to charge recommended professional rates. Working directly for the judicial or governmental authorities can sometimes lead to low, late or non-payment.

Adrian Woods

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Court Interpreters

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »