Ullrich Kern
Spain
Local time: 14:53
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Dec 16, 2001

Hi out there,

After reading the postings in “Dear Henry.....” from Carole Muller I really was surprised about the style this discussion is going on. I don’t think it was a good idea to make this posting public, it’s direct and personal to Henry Dotterer, and the reactions shows that I’m right.

It’s really interesting to discuss market strategies for the pricing in translations, but difficult to do for the whole world. The differences in price are to big
... See more
Hi out there,

After reading the postings in “Dear Henry.....” from Carole Muller I really was surprised about the style this discussion is going on. I don’t think it was a good idea to make this posting public, it’s direct and personal to Henry Dotterer, and the reactions shows that I’m right.

It’s really interesting to discuss market strategies for the pricing in translations, but difficult to do for the whole world. The differences in price are to big and you cannot change them from one day to the other. For example, in Spain, where I live nobody would pay 0.30 € / word for a translation. Last week an agency from Barcelona offered me 9.000 words for 6 ptas./word (0.03 €) what I didn’t accept. But the market price isn’t much higher. I know a lot of Spanish agencies(!!!) working for other agencies in Europe, means you have a client, an agency, another agency and at the end one translator, and both agencies get their part. So it’s difficult to establish a level for a minimum pricing meeting all the opinions. Nevertheless, my recommendation is to establish such minimum price level on the biddings, just to avoid ridiculous prices, which could be established, for example, after a realistic study of the pricing level in the different countries. I think this would help a lot under different aspects:

1. avoiding abuse of a translator who is starting or without work, and who could bid on the minimum price level, without being obliged to work for “free”;

2. better, more professional image for this place; etc.

Another point of discussion is the abuse of KudoZ as a result of promoting this place in Internet, as I described in another posting My (personal) opinion is that in general it was a good idea but should be reconsidered in the way how it was realised. Everybody has seen the increasing number of abusive questions, more and more free translation were asked for, so I think it’s necessary to underline the kind of place ProZ is.

Finally, I should mention that I’m not a paying member but an more or less active user of ProZ. So if this represents a problem to a paying member who may consider himself more important than other members of this place, it’s not necessary to invite me to leave. I grew up in democracy, I say what I want to say, and if the only reaction about anyone’s opinion is

“my friendly suggestion: Cancel your membership and leave! It\'s just my friendly advice to you….”

that’s childish. I mean, one can agree or disagree with the opinion of the other, but the forums are to discuss points of interest. This also means you can be critical, or should everybody leave who disagree with the opinion of one another?

Ulli

Collapse

Dora O'Malley
Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:53
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
dumping? Mar 7, 2002

I think we have to set up decent minimum rates since this has turned into \"dumping\" and that is not legal.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pricing and other comments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »