Thread poster: Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:25
German to English
+ ...
Jan 22, 2003

Some time ago, someone who works with a large international company told me that patent translation pays really well.

Now I have been given my first patent translation to do, at my normal general rates, which are not high. The language used is not difficult and so I have accepted it.

There are still two days to go to the deadline, and I have now been asked by the same firm if I will do a longer, more difficult patent translation, with a fairly tight deadline.

I feel
... See more
Some time ago, someone who works with a large international company told me that patent translation pays really well.

Now I have been given my first patent translation to do, at my normal general rates, which are not high. The language used is not difficult and so I have accepted it.

There are still two days to go to the deadline, and I have now been asked by the same firm if I will do a longer, more difficult patent translation, with a fairly tight deadline.

I feel I am being sucked into something here and wonder if anyone could tell me(privately, if preferred) what a reasonable rate might be. I have two years of experience of translating but have been using both my source languages for around 40 years.

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Collapse

Nicholas-George Piatkowski
Nicholas-George Piatkowski
Local time: 13:25
English to Romanian
+ ...
Rates for patent translations Feb 18, 2003

Dear All,

Please do not forget that free enterprise means negotiation and fixing of prices,depending of the free market !

Of course patent translations are highly specialized and technical, thus allowing higher rates up to 0,1 -0,15 Euro/ word - for a specialized translator in the field ( chemistry, medical, engineering,aso); but this is not the issue :all depends on term, expertise and how much would the outsourcer want to pay!Example :Translation Agencies or Industrial prop
... See more
Dear All,

Please do not forget that free enterprise means negotiation and fixing of prices,depending of the free market !

Of course patent translations are highly specialized and technical, thus allowing higher rates up to 0,1 -0,15 Euro/ word - for a specialized translator in the field ( chemistry, medical, engineering,aso); but this is not the issue :all depends on term, expertise and how much would the outsourcer want to pay!Example :Translation Agencies or Industrial property Agencies(both state and private) are paying 2,5 US$/page to one free

lance translator and billing foreign client 25-30 US $/page!( It happened in Romania, and still in progress) .

Hope you understand my meaning. Ciao
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for Patent Translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »