Trados TM free of charge???
Thread poster: Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Manuela Brehm
Local time: 05:41
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 30, 2002

I have a problem. A customer of mine just came up with the idea that he should have all my TM concerning his work. If I don´t agree with it, he will be searching for another translator.

What should I do? Agree with him and give him the TMs free of charge or charge for them and risk loosing him as customer?

Thanks for your advice.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
This has been discussed many times... Oct 5, 2002

Good afternoon,

Others have encountered your situation, if you perform a search in the forum section with a few key words, you will find more discussions on this topic.

Let me put it this way: Your client already has what he needs to build the TM he wants anyway: He could use Trados\'s WinAlign and align all the jobs that you have done for them...

It takes time to do it, but why antagonise the client (and possibly lose him) by refus
... See more
Good afternoon,

Others have encountered your situation, if you perform a search in the forum section with a few key words, you will find more discussions on this topic.

Let me put it this way: Your client already has what he needs to build the TM he wants anyway: He could use Trados\'s WinAlign and align all the jobs that you have done for them...

It takes time to do it, but why antagonise the client (and possibly lose him) by refusing to give it to him since he can get it either way?

If you have a TM which only contains the work you did for them, and which you have created from scratch yourself (i.e. they did not provide you with an already existing TM), you can tell them that it takes time to maintain and build the TM and that this was not in your original agreement (I assume) to give it to them.

You can perhaps offer to sell it to them, but again, if they think about it, they can align all the previous jobs, and have the TM they want... and hire another translator (if they wish).

Either way, they can get it.

My 2 cents...

Nathalie
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:41
English to German
+ ...
Provide the pre-cleanup files Oct 5, 2002

This is how I work with freelancers - I take the files before they run a cleanup. That leaves me with the choice of running the cleanup myself (and updating my TM in the process), or editing the file first and cleaning up as usual.

As Nathalie said: this is nothing that your customer wouldn\'t have access to anyway - providing pre-cleanup files (as opposed to a TM) has the benefit that you cannot accidentally provide more than what is called for. (Depending on how you struct
... See more
This is how I work with freelancers - I take the files before they run a cleanup. That leaves me with the choice of running the cleanup myself (and updating my TM in the process), or editing the file first and cleaning up as usual.

As Nathalie said: this is nothing that your customer wouldn\'t have access to anyway - providing pre-cleanup files (as opposed to a TM) has the benefit that you cannot accidentally provide more than what is called for. (Depending on how you structure the references in your TM, you might not be able to pinpoint exactly those units belonging to that particular customer.)
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 23:41
English to German
Tardos TM Free of Charge Oct 28, 2002

I agree with Ralf,

because this is the best way to provide the pre-cleanup files. Providing the TM itself requires that you check, which version you and the client have, so there are no compatibility issues. Another (even more) important thing to consider is the fact that the translation are maybe in one big database. I don\'t know how you are set up, but you certainly do not want to give everything (even stuff not from the client) away.

HTH

... See more
I agree with Ralf,

because this is the best way to provide the pre-cleanup files. Providing the TM itself requires that you check, which version you and the client have, so there are no compatibility issues. Another (even more) important thing to consider is the fact that the translation are maybe in one big database. I don\'t know how you are set up, but you certainly do not want to give everything (even stuff not from the client) away.

HTH

Uwe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TM free of charge???

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »