Thread poster: Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 13, 2002

Further to Maya\'s posting: yes Maya, one of our main concerns is to boost the rates being offered by some outsourcers, by (a.o.)sending such offers only to people who have entered such rates and by informing the outsourcer about the many people who didn\'t receive the offer because his/her offered rates are apparently (far) below average.

Other than that, average rates will be posted as well, accompanied by some nice curves.

Just for starters, of course.

... See more
Further to Maya\'s posting: yes Maya, one of our main concerns is to boost the rates being offered by some outsourcers, by (a.o.)sending such offers only to people who have entered such rates and by informing the outsourcer about the many people who didn\'t receive the offer because his/her offered rates are apparently (far) below average.

Other than that, average rates will be posted as well, accompanied by some nice curves.

Just for starters, of course.

But I would be very interested to learn from you what more can be done. We can\'t simply ban low rate offerers, can we? It didn\'t work on other sites...

Anyway, I\'ll keep on sending comments to outsourcers who think we\'re good-for-nothings.

About one hour ago, a Michael Wang/Kent posted the following:

Michael Wang today at 11:03am.

Professional Technical Dutch Translators Wanted

English>Dutch

For LONG-TERM cooperations in translating our User Manuals of digital camera, TV, Video Camera,etc from En to Dutch (first project starting later this month has 20,000 words), we welcome those translators who meet or accept the following requirements or conditions to write in:

1. 5 years of experience in technical translation with an excellent track record;

2. Having Trados or similar memory software used in translation;

3. Accept our standard rate of $0.05/source word,which is for both translation and proofreading;

4. Accept our payment terms: payment being made every three months: 1st of Jan, April, July and Oct. in order to save our remittance cost as well as yours.

5. Please DO NOT use your Proz box to apply, but write in directly by addressing to [email protected]

We also need Italian, Portuguese, Frech, German,etc. translators to do the same thing.

Rgds.

Kent

Pricing:

0.05 USD per word

Now have a look at what they write on their website (a.o.):

-quote-

As the living standard in Greater China and Asia is still much lower than that of the West, you are sure to enjoy our professional service at HALF the price you would pay in the U.S.A. and the Europe.

Our rates range from US$0.07 to US$0.20 per source word depending on factors such as the volume of the total project, the degree of difficulty involved and the lead time required.

-unquote-

I wonder where he\'s going to find excellent experienced translators English-Dutch in Greater China and/or Asia (oh well, there may be a few), but he\'s surely not going to find many bonafide translators over here willing to work at such conditions.

And if he\'s based in Greater China, \'a fact enabling him to charge less\', then he should work with people based over there.

To cut things short, he uses arguments like lower wages, lower living standards in Greater China,... to attract customers, yet looks for translators over here.

Boy, oh boy, how I dislike such behavio(u)r.

[addsig]
Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
A never ending story... but: Jun 13, 2002

Evert, I think it is highly laudable that we are getting to a point were some concret steps are taken. I know it takes time to think about solutions and to implement them. We have had that discussion last year and it looked like nothing would come out of it. Maybe the time was not ripe, the translators not then so desparate.

I do not know if this will work. It does not matter to me if I get an alert or not, I have a look what\'s offered when I have time. And not really
... See more

Evert, I think it is highly laudable that we are getting to a point were some concret steps are taken. I know it takes time to think about solutions and to implement them. We have had that discussion last year and it looked like nothing would come out of it. Maybe the time was not ripe, the translators not then so desparate.

I do not know if this will work. It does not matter to me if I get an alert or not, I have a look what\'s offered when I have time. And not really for bidding, just for bidding in my special way. I have done that since I joined last August and I am glad to see that other people are doing it now.

What more can be done? I am not giving away my idea, but is it a package. It not only concerns rates, but payment practices and payment transfers. Those are the problems. And quality checking. Some candidates may get a \"We are so sorry\" letter and they will not like it, but the qualified members will rejoice. Will it work? It may, if I get help and some proof of solidarity. And people will possibly get a piece of the cake at fair rates which are not yet determined but higher than what one thinks. Nobody will get rich on our labor, since this will be a non-profit association. Too many commercial sites, too many translators turned agency trying to make a quick buck. We need new ideas and a new approach. What proZ does apart from offering jobs at low rates is giving us help and a forum. This is unparalleled in the business and should not be forgotten. If there is an improvement of rates, all the better. But I suspect that this market is definitely killed. I look for other markets.

Hope it works out for proZ, Evert, and thank you for taking the time to explain.

Maya

Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please enter your rates Jun 13, 2002

Eloquently worded by Yolanda Broad:

Please visit your ProZ.com profile and enter your minimum and \"target\"

rates. (A maximum will be calculated based on your minimum.) You DON\'T

need to make your rates public!

Your rates become part of statistical curves available to job posters (and platinum members). Also, job emails that are below your fee range will be filtered before being sent to you.

Aggregated rate data
... See more
Eloquently worded by Yolanda Broad:

Please visit your ProZ.com profile and enter your minimum and \"target\"

rates. (A maximum will be calculated based on your minimum.) You DON\'T

need to make your rates public!

Your rates become part of statistical curves available to job posters (and platinum members). Also, job emails that are below your fee range will be filtered before being sent to you.

Aggregated rate data, shown in graphical form, is one way to let job posters know when they are offering rates that are unreasonable; this type of client education will also help to stabilize rates offered in

the future. When an outsourcer attempts to post a job at a ridiculous rate, it will be possible to inform him/her that no one will be notified, since the amount offered is below every member\'s minimum.

[addsig]
Collapse

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Well Evert, I'd vote for banning low rates Jun 26, 2002

I don\'t know what good can ProZ get from companies or individuals posting \"jobs\" ate rates in the range of 3-8 cents (whether it\'s US Dollar cents or Euro cents).

As far as I know, that doesn\'t benefit _anyone_ in the site, save for the posters themselves.

If such \"job\" providers wish to contact translators and find out if these are willing to work in that price range, let Them do the work, take the time to send emails to their chosen t
... See more
I don\'t know what good can ProZ get from companies or individuals posting \"jobs\" ate rates in the range of 3-8 cents (whether it\'s US Dollar cents or Euro cents).

As far as I know, that doesn\'t benefit _anyone_ in the site, save for the posters themselves.

If such \"job\" providers wish to contact translators and find out if these are willing to work in that price range, let Them do the work, take the time to send emails to their chosen target translators.

Otherwise, all I see ProZ and All that make up ProZ are doing is provide these indesirable \"job\" providers with an easy way to get instantaneous resources for their despicable \"projects\".
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Banning is not going to work Jun 26, 2002

The quote which Evert put up is a case in point:

Quote:

5. Please DO NOT use your Proz box to apply, but write in directly by addressing to [email protected]

Guess why... do you think plainly blocking entries below a certain level is going to stop it? Don\'t forget that it\'s possible to post a job without quoting a price per w... See more
The quote which Evert put up is a case in point:

Quote:

Guess why... do you think plainly blocking entries below a certain level is going to stop it? Don\'t forget that it\'s possible to post a job without quoting a price per word. ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:50
SITE FOUNDER
Still missing the point, Daniel Jun 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-26 20:59, dalcaine wrote:

Wrong, Daniel, this is another critical misunderstanding on your part. The peop... See more
Quote:

On 2002-06-26 20:59, dalcaine wrote:

Wrong, Daniel, this is another critical misunderstanding on your part. The people agreeing to do the jobs are also benefiting, at least according to their own definitions.

So what we have is a situation in which you want to break up--actually, you want ProZ.com to break up, on your behalf--transactions between consenting parties.

What do you think are the chances of success? ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Boosting rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »