Agency Requesting Birthdate to Make Transfer
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2019

I had an odd experience this week with an agency that I have been working with for several years and was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar.

Basically, a payment was due, and I was informed that it had been released. I thus anticipated receiving the payment within a day or two as usually happens.

Instead, the agency's accountant contacted me to say that their bank was requesting my date of birth in order to process the payment. I found this odd and sai
... See more
I had an odd experience this week with an agency that I have been working with for several years and was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar.

Basically, a payment was due, and I was informed that it had been released. I thus anticipated receiving the payment within a day or two as usually happens.

Instead, the agency's accountant contacted me to say that their bank was requesting my date of birth in order to process the payment. I found this odd and said so as I could not imagine how this information would help them in any way. Also, considering the fact that the agency has my social security number for tax purposes, I did not feel good about the possibility of them also having my date of birth, since we are always warned that it is these two pieces of information that fraudsters seek when attempting identity-theft and other crimes.

So, I basically asked for the name of the bank and a person I could contact to discuss the matter further.

I didn't hear back from the agency but instead received my payment two days later with no further comment.

It is a very reputable agency, and I have never had any problems working with them. I am, however, totally perplexed and not sure what to think.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
Stupidity? Feb 13, 2019

I think you are right to be concerned, but I think it's more likely that someone involved in the process just had no clue what they're doing. Keep an eye open but otherwise don't be too concerned unless this happens again.

Josephine Cassar
Morano El-Kholy
Philippe Etienne

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:28
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Speak to a manager? Feb 13, 2019

Maybe that one employee was trying to add a sideline?

Eliza Hall
Morano El-Kholy
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Robert Forstag
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Philippe Etienne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:28
French to English
Social media Feb 13, 2019

Just make sure your birthday isn't out on social media somewhere.

Philippe Etienne

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:28
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The possibility exists... Feb 15, 2019

that the PM was new in the agency and/or the business altogether, and simply didn't know any better. This assumption is supported by the fact that they paid you within a couple of days.

If it doesn't happen again, be lenient. We all had to start learning the trade at one time or another.

Sheila Wilson

D. I. Verrelli
D. I. Verrelli  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:28
German to English
+ ...
And see also... Feb 17, 2019

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/332677-is_this_scam.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency Requesting Birthdate to Make Transfer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »