Thread poster: Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:32
German to English
Mar 4, 2002

Hi all,

I use a well-known TM program. One of my clients (an agency) insists on decreasing payment with increasing fuzzy match value. For 100% matches, I get only 10% of the agreed per word rate, as a \"handling charge\". This client also likes to provide very poor quality TM\'s. Now, if I notice that some of the 100% \"matches\" in this TM are incorrect, what should I do? Ignore them (I\'m not getting paid for them)? Correct them and invoice appropriately? Contact the clien
... See more
Hi all,

I use a well-known TM program. One of my clients (an agency) insists on decreasing payment with increasing fuzzy match value. For 100% matches, I get only 10% of the agreed per word rate, as a \"handling charge\". This client also likes to provide very poor quality TM\'s. Now, if I notice that some of the 100% \"matches\" in this TM are incorrect, what should I do? Ignore them (I\'m not getting paid for them)? Correct them and invoice appropriately? Contact the client to clear up payment modalities? The same applies in proncipal for, say, 90% - 99% matches that contain several mistakes.

You\'re comments would be appreciated.
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
German to English
+ ...
Ask the customer Mar 4, 2002

Alan,

I think you\'ve just hit on the major downside to TM systems! Your only option is to talk to the customer about it. If you\'re lucky, they\'ll thank you for pointing it out and ask you to translate it properly at full whack. If you\'re not, they\'ll say they want it left that way, they\'ve had no complaints before. In which case you just have to grin and bear it! But make sure that you include a statement to the effect that you accept no liability for 100 % matches pro
... See more
Alan,

I think you\'ve just hit on the major downside to TM systems! Your only option is to talk to the customer about it. If you\'re lucky, they\'ll thank you for pointing it out and ask you to translate it properly at full whack. If you\'re not, they\'ll say they want it left that way, they\'ve had no complaints before. In which case you just have to grin and bear it! But make sure that you include a statement to the effect that you accept no liability for 100 % matches provided by them ...

Hope you get the right answer!

Mary
Collapse

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Rates Mar 4, 2002

Hello Alan,

many freelancers apply different rates according to the percentage of the fuzzy matches.

You usually follow this plan:

Repetitions

100%

95% - 99%

85% - 94%

75% - 84%

50% - 74%

No Match

Now, it\'s up to you to decide what discount you want to apply. It could be somet
... See more
Hello Alan,

many freelancers apply different rates according to the percentage of the fuzzy matches.

You usually follow this plan:

Repetitions

100%

95% - 99%

85% - 94%

75% - 84%

50% - 74%

No Match

Now, it\'s up to you to decide what discount you want to apply. It could be something like, for example:

30%

30%

60%

60%

100%

100%

The point is that you say your client\'s TM is very poor and that you disagree on most of the 100% or Repetitions translations.

If I were you I\'d make this point clear with my client. If he pays a mere 10% for 100% and repetitions, it is clear that he can\'t pretend that you proof-read those sentences.

If you can show him that the translation is very poor and that those sentences need to be edited, he will probably agree on changing the rate\'s plan.

I am sure that if you contact him to report this situation he will appreciate it.

I made up by myself an .xls spreadsheet into which you can insert different figures and percentages and see the resulting difference in the invoice.

Using the project word-count you can determine what is the difference if you have, for example, 4,550 repetitions paid at 10% or at 30%. You can play with figures.

According to my experience, usually repetitions and 100% don\'t make a big difference...

Your client could also decide to have the 100% sentences revised by a proof-reader paid on a hourly basis. Who knows...

Hope it helps!

Regards,

FP

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-04 13:01 ]
Collapse

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
TM pricing Mar 5, 2002

Hi Alan,

About 50% of the documents I translate (all the same topic) are run through a translation program. The client pays the same per word rate (translation rate), which is fair. I check all \"matches\" as per the client\'s instructions, and there are ALWAYS changes. I find that most often, it takes just as long to compare, check and enter changes than translate and revise. It would be a good idea to offer to leave the 100% \"matches\" as is, if the client refuses to pay you fo
... See more
Hi Alan,

About 50% of the documents I translate (all the same topic) are run through a translation program. The client pays the same per word rate (translation rate), which is fair. I check all \"matches\" as per the client\'s instructions, and there are ALWAYS changes. I find that most often, it takes just as long to compare, check and enter changes than translate and revise. It would be a good idea to offer to leave the 100% \"matches\" as is, if the client refuses to pay you for your time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment for 100% matches - URGENT

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »