Tópico cartaz: Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
França
Local time: 05:01
inglês para francês
Feb 8, 2002

Hi everyone,

I\'m going for an interview tonight for a job of Interpreter for the Migration....

The salary the offering is very poor: only £13k/year.. I\'m still going to the interview as I\'d like to see if the can offer me more money..I really want to become an Iterpreter.

It\'s for a Charity place tought, do you think that it\'s something to do with the salary???

Can you advice me, please, give me some idea of Intepreter Salary wh
... See more
Hi everyone,

I\'m going for an interview tonight for a job of Interpreter for the Migration....

The salary the offering is very poor: only £13k/year.. I\'m still going to the interview as I\'d like to see if the can offer me more money..I really want to become an Iterpreter.

It\'s for a Charity place tought, do you think that it\'s something to do with the salary???

Can you advice me, please, give me some idea of Intepreter Salary which for me was a lot more than £13k /year..

Thank you all for your time to answer my message

Have a good week-end!

Virginie
Collapse

Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 23:01
francês para inglês
+ ...
Many factors to consider Feb 10, 2002

Virginie, just because the organization is a charitable one doesn\'t mean you should work for peanuts. I don\'t know what the exact conversion is but many translators salary is much more than what you mentioned, and generally interpreting pays more.

However, whether you take the job at that salary or something close to it should depend on a few things. If you are already quite an experienced translator you might not want to take it. However, if you\'re just starting out it c
... See more
Virginie, just because the organization is a charitable one doesn\'t mean you should work for peanuts. I don\'t know what the exact conversion is but many translators salary is much more than what you mentioned, and generally interpreting pays more.

However, whether you take the job at that salary or something close to it should depend on a few things. If you are already quite an experienced translator you might not want to take it. However, if you\'re just starting out it could be a great place to develop your skills in a low-pressure setting. Also, it should depend on the kind of interpreting you will be asked to do. Simultaneous conference interpreting takes a lot of skill and can be quite stressful. Also if you are called to interpret in a legal setting, this can also be stressful. However, many interpreter positions are more informal, you act more as a go-between, either on the phone or in meetings, and there is not so much pressure. These types of assignments generally have a lower pay.

These are things you should consider before accepting. If I were in your shoes and just starting out as an interpreter, I would take the position for 6 months to a year to get the experience and practise my skills, provided my financial situation allowed it. Good luck!

[addsig]
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 23:01
alemão para inglês
+ ...
Investigate the Charity Feb 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-08 09:43, kasia7 wrote:

Hi everyone,

It\'s for a Charity place tought, do you think that it\'s something to do w... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-08 09:43, kasia7 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Can you advice me, please, give me some idea of Intepreter Salary which for me was a lot more than £13k /year..

Thank you all for your time to answer my message

Have a good week-end!

Virginie

It seems they offer a lowest-level position. These days, that usually means: no considerations, pitiful raises only when unavoidable and a bad career start. (A low salary at a current employer is a bad basis for negotiations for the next position.) Your question shows that you suspect the same thing.

About the \'Charity\' status:

Many charities, even large well-known charities, are non-profit organizations, which shovel large incomes into the one place, where profits are allowed to go: salaries.

Charities must publish their financials. Look them up before you give any considerations to their charity status. There is a (fat) chance that a bunch of fat cats want an expert without paying for one.

So, it sounds negative! Experience will do that to people.

Good luck to you! Hang in there, the next offer will be better.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-10 01:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-10 01:52 ]Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreter Salary....???

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »