Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
The perfect monitor for translators! THIS is going on my 'to buy' list!
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Jun 10, 2017

This is certainly going on my next 'to buy' list! No more need for dual screens!

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-qh90-super-ultra-wide-329-monitor-photos-2017-6/?utm_content=bufferffed8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi&r=AU&IR=T/#you-can-split-up-the-layout-of-the-screen-with-the-chg90s-software-as-windows-10-doesnt-have-any-settings-or-support-for-such-a-wide-screen-10

[Edited at 2017-06-10 00:28 GMT]

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:04
Korean to German
+ ...
OMG Jun 10, 2017

OMG, yes, please! Will totally go on my "Buy" list as well. Thank you so much for sharing!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:04
English to Thai
+ ...
Ergonomic design Jun 10, 2017

This is a very good idea.
In fact, translators spend very long time sitting and concentrating on monitor screens. I find this type of monitor tiresome [my experience with monitors for stock exchange sessions].
My neck pain became worse due to a very large screen.
Switching among multiple monitors work better.

In addition, my 7 monitors I has mistaken and bought in 2000 still function well [but they will be sold cheaply] and durable in my workspace. I do not to was
... See more
This is a very good idea.
In fact, translators spend very long time sitting and concentrating on monitor screens. I find this type of monitor tiresome [my experience with monitors for stock exchange sessions].
My neck pain became worse due to a very large screen.
Switching among multiple monitors work better.

In addition, my 7 monitors I has mistaken and bought in 2000 still function well [but they will be sold cheaply] and durable in my workspace. I do not to waste them.
I still insist on the classic multi-monitor work environment.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro Ph.D.
Bangkok, Thailand and Murmansk, Russia
Collapse

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wow! Jun 10, 2017

A deeper desk would be better, though, than the one pictured, so you won't be so close to the screen. The way it's curved looks like it might be ergonomical enough. The best way to know is to stand in front of one "in person"!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
At first blush, it looks super cool, but... Jun 10, 2017

I find some problems with such a large monitor.

1) You need third-party software for Windows to split the screen
2) As Molly indicated, a deeper desk is needed, and not just any desk. This monitor must be very heavy (the website doesn't say).
3) The monitor has a fixed position (on a tripod, as seen on the picture). Bad for ergonomics.
4) The monitor is designed for the gamer, not necessarily for others.

As usual, it helps to see if this humongous moni
... See more
I find some problems with such a large monitor.

1) You need third-party software for Windows to split the screen
2) As Molly indicated, a deeper desk is needed, and not just any desk. This monitor must be very heavy (the website doesn't say).
3) The monitor has a fixed position (on a tripod, as seen on the picture). Bad for ergonomics.
4) The monitor is designed for the gamer, not necessarily for others.

As usual, it helps to see if this humongous monitor ($1,500, ha!) is compatible with your current system.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:04
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jun 10, 2017

I never say "Oh, my God!" and dislike it when people abuse of "Oh, my God!," but nevertheless... "Oh, my God!"

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Impressive... Jun 10, 2017

...but I prefer using 3 separate monitors for the same effect, which can be turned on/off as needed.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:04
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Why the vertical limit? Jun 10, 2017

DJHartmann wrote:
This is certainly going on my next 'to buy' list! No more need for dual screens!

I can attest to the fact that a 49" monitor is worth having - I use a Wasabi Mango UHD490 all day, every day - and for me one large screen is better than two or three small screens, but the Samsung monitor to which you link is limited to 3840 x 1080 pixels. It's been cut in half!

I want to be able to see as many segments as possible at once. Why not go for the full 4K, with 3840 x 2160 pixels, so that you get decent space in the vertical dimension?

Dan

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:04
English to Thai
+ ...
45" TV monitor Jun 10, 2017

After my comment above, I turned on my TV set. The 45" TV monitor was one device I sometimes applied it for translation jobs.
As said before, it is not ergonomic. I do not like it. I prefer regular work desk positions since I can work in longer hours with more productivity than such 45" or 50" TV monitor.

Dr. Soonthon Lupkitaro
Bangkok

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
E-paper Jun 10, 2017

Maybe you can even get a nice tan while working with that setup if you ramp up the brightness a bit... but other than that, paying something like thrice the cost of a double/triple monitor setup with similar real estate seems a little excessive.

I actually look forward to this technology maturing and becoming economically viable.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Economically viable Jun 10, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Maybe you can even get a nice tan while working with that setup if you ramp up the brightness a bit... but other than that, paying something like thrice the cost of a double/triple monitor setup with similar real estate seems a little excessive.

I actually look forward to this technology maturing and becoming economically viable.

At $1,500 for this bleeding-edge technology, I agree, it's excessive, not just a little. More DPI or more definition (4K or whatever comes down the pipeline) does not necessarily mean it's meant for long periods of sitting work staring at a monitor. Speaking of tanning, I think this monitor offers a real possibility: you could use a “Tanning Booth” luminosity and color scheme and stop working in your payamas.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:04
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Define "economically viable" Jun 10, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
...and becoming economically viable.

I think my 49" monitor cost $900 including shipping. For something I use nearly every day of the year and for 12 hours a day that is not a huge amount. One good job will cover that payment and I have monitors here that I purchased a decade ago that still work fine. Even if the big monitor only has a useful life of five years that's less than $200 a year.

Computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, chair - these are all vital tools, as much as the software we use. If you have the money, scrimping just doesn't make sense. Get the absolute best you can afford. (Just for the record I don't think the monitor that is the subject of this thread is the best, but you know what I mean.)

Regards,
Dan

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
"Economically viable" defined Jun 10, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

Define "economically viable"

I was specifically referring to e-paper monitors. AFAIK, a 13.3" e-paper (4-bit grayscale) monitor sells at about $1,300 right now. That's not "economically viable" by my standards, but of course, your and others' mileage may vary.

My idea of economically viable, in general, is (roughly put): similar performance and functionality at a similar or lower price compared to the average for that class of products.

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Here is another good one Jun 10, 2017

http://www.dasung.com/english/

An e-ink monitor that is already on the market. The price is a bit heavy, but I think there is a future in this technology.

There have been a lot of interesting kickstarter projects lately, for example a laptop display that can be extended into three s
... See more

An e-ink monitor that is already on the market. The price is a bit heavy, but I think there is a future in this technology.

There have been a lot of interesting kickstarter projects lately, for example a laptop display that can be extended into three separate displays (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slidenjoy/slidenjoy-double-or-triple-your-screens?lang=de). Imagine you bring this one to a coffee shop.

My favorite is the super ergnonomic keyboard "keyboardio" (https://shop.keyboard.io/). Altough not a monitor it is definitely worth a look.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keyboard.io Jun 10, 2017

Egmont Schröder wrote:

There have been a lot of interesting kickstarter projects lately, for example a laptop display that can be extended into three separate displays (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slidenjoy/slidenjoy-double-or-triple-your-screens?lang=de). Imagine you bring this one to a coffee shop.

My favorite is the super ergnonomic keyboard "keyboardio" (https://shop.keyboard.io/). Altough not a monitor it is definitely worth a look.

Artsy, yes. Cute? Yes. Ergonomic? Let me try one out for 30 days and I'll let you know.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The perfect monitor for translators! THIS is going on my 'to buy' list!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »