Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
The perfect monitor for translators! THIS is going on my 'to buy' list!
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Whoops Jun 10, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
I was specifically referring to e-paper monitors.

And I got completely the wrong end of the stick - I thought you were talking about the Samsung monitors. Apologies. Agreed, e-paper is not remotely ready for prime time for general desktop use.

Dan

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:13
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Why not? Jun 11, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:

Egmont Schröder wrote:

http://www.dasung.com/english/

An e-ink monitor that is already on the market. The price is a bit heavy, but I think there is a future in this technology.

There have been a lot of interesting kickstarter projects lately, for example a laptop display that can be extended into three separate displays (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slidenjoy/slidenjoy-double-or-triple-your-screens?lang=de). Imagine you bring this one to a coffee shop.

My favorite is the super ergnonomic keyboard "keyboardio" (https://shop.keyboard.io/). Altough not a monitor it is definitely worth a look.

Artsy, yes. Cute? Yes. Ergonomic? Let me try one out for 30 days and I'll let you know.

I really think there is an ergonomic advantage is this keyboard. On traditional keyboards, the modifier keys (shif, alt, ...) are set on the left an right side of the letter keys, which results in a continous overstretching of the little finger (e.g. for Ctr+C). After hours and days of work you can really feel it.

I myself have a sore left shoulder, and I am pretty sure that this is the reason.

There are only two keyboards that adress this issue (that means let the thumb work with the modifier keys): Keyboardio and the Kinesis Advantage.

I think this ergonomic feature makes a lot of sense (the layout of keyboards didn't change very much since their invention), so I want to give it a try.

If not it is still a very pretty peace of art:)

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
OT Jun 11, 2017

Egmont Schröder wrote:

Why not?

I think this ergonomic feature makes a lot of sense (the layout of keyboards didn't change very much since their invention), so I want to give it a try.

Well, at $330 (+shipping and taxes outside the US) it seems quite an expensive try, especially if you're not even sure it will actually do you any good. There are much more affordable (although not as artsy) solutions to check whether the angled layout can help you (e.g. http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/comfortable-ergo-keyboard/ ).

As for the different keys layout, perhaps you're right, but IMO changing layout after you learned to blind type with the canonical one could be an issue.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
More than two Jun 11, 2017

Egmont Schröder wrote:
There are only two keyboards that adress this issue (that means let the thumb work with the modifier keys): Keyboardio and the Kinesis Advantage.

Many more than two. The venerable Maltron, the very popular Ergodox (especially the EZ), the Atreus and Atreus62, the forthcoming Ultimate Hacking Keyboard, the Esrille etc. There is a consensus on the important issues, which is that keyboards that split, tent and tilt, and that have straight rather than staggered key columns put less strain on hands, arms and shoulders, and this is supported by a certain amount of research. The Esrille borrows from the work of the TRON project, for example.

Regards,
Dan

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Awful resolution Jun 12, 2017

Only 1080 lines of resolution???? What is this cr*p. Does Samsung want my eyes to bleed

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
You are right Jun 12, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

Many more than two. The venerable Maltron, the very popular Ergodox (especially the EZ), the Atreus and Atreus62, the forthcoming Ultimate Hacking Keyboard, the Esrille etc. There is a consensus on the important issues, which is that keyboards that split, tent and tilt, and that have straight rather than staggered key columns put less strain on hands, arms and shoulders, and this is supported by a certain amount of research. The Esrille borrows from the work of the TRON project, for example.

Regards,
Dan

But they aren't so much cheaper. Anyway, I think I will go on with translations for a long time so I think I should do this investment.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not cheap Jun 12, 2017

Egmont Schröder wrote:
But they aren't so much cheaper. Anyway, I think I will go on with translations for a long time so I think I should do this investment.

You're right on both counts.

You're right about them not being cheaper, because small production runs of structurally complex electromechanical devices with many moving parts cost a lot of money.

My advice to people wanting a more comfortable keyboard is to start off with something like a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 and go from there. Inexpensive, and far kinder on the hands, wrists and arms than a straight board. If that doesn't fit the bill, you may need something different.

And you're right about the importance of investing in a good keyboard too.

Dan

Babelworth
Babelworth
Congo, Democratic Republic
English to French
Did you try it? Please share your experience... May 26, 2018

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
great ! May 26, 2018

2023 samsung monitor prediction :

kd39f6cmgo2z

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Not yet, but I want to! May 26, 2018

I haven’t yet, look forward to trying though!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
But seriously May 27, 2018

I know this is more of a joke thread, but seriously... this is the one all translators ought to have:

square monitor

27", 1920 x 1920 resolution, perfect for both CAT *and* Word/Excel. No more rotating every time you open one of the "other" programs. The price has been creeping upwards at a rate of around $75 per year, though.

[Edited at 2018-05-27 06:43 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Pls avoid innuendos.
Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No need to wait May 27, 2018

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:
I haven’t yet, look forward to trying though!

I'm using a 49" Wasabi Mango UHD 490 here with 4k resolution. Works well. There's a new UHD430 out which is smaller but has a better refresh rate.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The perfect monitor for translators! THIS is going on my 'to buy' list!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »