Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:45
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Mike Jun 15, 2012

Yes, I know that removing codes isn't always a good idea. The reason I am trying to cut up large TMs is only to be able to index them with Copernic Desktop Search. I generally have them all in memoQ anyway, and memoQ can easily handle any size really (together with a decent SSD of course), but I would like to have ALL of my terminology data in one place/index. I keep trying dtSearch, but I basically find the user interface terrible.

Copernic Desktop Search is much more logica
... See more
Yes, I know that removing codes isn't always a good idea. The reason I am trying to cut up large TMs is only to be able to index them with Copernic Desktop Search. I generally have them all in memoQ anyway, and memoQ can easily handle any size really (together with a decent SSD of course), but I would like to have ALL of my terminology data in one place/index. I keep trying dtSearch, but I basically find the user interface terrible.

Copernic Desktop Search is much more logical and useful I think:

Wordbook.nl

However, Copernic Desktop Search chokes on files larger than say 5-7 MBs. Therefore, what I have decided to do is to simply cut up any larger files into smaller chunks, so I can still index them and use CDS's great preview function.

Michael

@FarkasAndras: I'll see if I can think of a quick way to (batch) replace some of the line breaks here and there in the TMX Chopper output files, so as to make them preview better in Copernic Desktop Search.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Update Jun 15, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

@FarkasAndras: I'll see if I can think of a quick way to (batch) replace some of the line breaks here and there in the TMX Chopper output files, so as to make them preview better in Copernic Desktop Search.

My previous post was meant to say that I updated the programme today to break up TUs more. Try it out and see if you get the results you need.

BTW I also updated the formatting code stripper while I was at it. The old version missed some codes.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks András! Jun 15, 2012

I'll try it out ASAP and report back here.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TMXs now display perfectly in my Copernic Desktop Search preview! Jun 15, 2012

Wordbook.nl

Thanks a lot András! It displays perfectly in my Copernic Desktop Search preview.

PS: memoQ seems exports TMXs as UTF-16. I assume I should resave them all as
UTF-8 in UltraEdit, right? (That's what I just did with this test run.) Or does the TMX_chopper_1.2.exe handle UTF-16?

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM cleaning/shrinking (in MBs).

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »