What is "version management" in the translation industry and how is it useful?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 13:47
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2023

Hello,

While reading some material on TMS tools, I've stumbled upon the phrases "version control" and "version management".

I don't understand clearly what these things would refer to in the translation industry, so I wonder if someone could please give an example and explain briefly how they can be useful in translation processes.

For context, here are some quotes:

"From project management tools that enable efficient collaboration among transl
... See more
Hello,

While reading some material on TMS tools, I've stumbled upon the phrases "version control" and "version management".

I don't understand clearly what these things would refer to in the translation industry, so I wonder if someone could please give an example and explain briefly how they can be useful in translation processes.

For context, here are some quotes:

"From project management tools that enable efficient collaboration among translators, editors, and clients to version control that ensures accurate and up-to-date translations, Phrase simplifies the complexities of managing translation projects."
(https://blog.andovar.com/phrase-empowering-business-translations-with-leading-localization-technology)

"Version Management: Maintain an agile localization process and avoid translation delays for added texts or new product features. Integrate your project branches with Crowdin and allow translators to access all new texts immediately.
Branches: When several people work on product development, branches help manage different content versions. If you have a continuous project, you can add project branches to Crowdin and allow translators to translate the texts in parallel with development to avoid deployment delays."
https://support.crowdin.com/versions-management/

Thank you.

[Edited at 2023-08-02 19:09 GMT]
Collapse

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:47
Member (2020)
English to Italian
My guess Aug 2, 2023

I guess this applies to situations where a certain text is periodically updated. If your organisation publishes a new version of a certain set of documents every year, it can be time-consuming to manage this process manually, feeding the new versions into a CAT tool as if they were new documents, applying the TM matches etc., especially when you do this every year (or even semi-annually, quarterly, monthly etc.) on a significant amount of documents. I guess these processes can be easily automate... See more
I guess this applies to situations where a certain text is periodically updated. If your organisation publishes a new version of a certain set of documents every year, it can be time-consuming to manage this process manually, feeding the new versions into a CAT tool as if they were new documents, applying the TM matches etc., especially when you do this every year (or even semi-annually, quarterly, monthly etc.) on a significant amount of documents. I guess these processes can be easily automated, saving time and money.Collapse

Zea_Mays
neilmac

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BS Aug 3, 2023

It's just marketing BS for "keeping your software up to date". There's nothing else you need to know.

esperantisto
neilmac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is "version management" in the translation industry and how is it useful?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »