Immigration document translation - best practices. (Russian to English)
Thread poster: sparta1978
sparta1978
sparta1978
Local time: 09:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2023

I am approaching a translation of personal documents for a colleague. Namely a passport, a birth certificate and similar documents. Translation is from Russian to English.

As I look over the workload a few questions came up which I would like input on.

1) in large documents, like the passport, many pages are blank. In translation document are blank pages omitted, or included? Right now there is a translation of only pages with stamps or writing in them, and a separate P
... See more
I am approaching a translation of personal documents for a colleague. Namely a passport, a birth certificate and similar documents. Translation is from Russian to English.

As I look over the workload a few questions came up which I would like input on.

1) in large documents, like the passport, many pages are blank. In translation document are blank pages omitted, or included? Right now there is a translation of only pages with stamps or writing in them, and a separate PDF with all pages scanned, including the blank ones.

2) Ш. (Шоссе), Ул. (Улица), are they translated - highway, street, or left with transliteration Sh., Ul.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:29
German to Swedish
+ ...
My 2 cents Mar 10, 2023

sparta1978 wrote:

1) in large documents, like the passport, many pages are blank. In translation document are blank pages omitted, or included?

In sworn translation I'd silently omit completely blank pages, but if there's any kind of text (even if it's only a page number) it should be translated as a full page.

2) Ш. (Шоссе), Ул. (Улица), are they translated - highway, street, or left with transliteration Sh., Ul.

Transliteration. You wouldn't translate a French or German address.

Elena Doroshenko

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
What I do Mar 10, 2023

[(x) blank pages]

Michael Newton

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
document translation Mar 11, 2023

Indicate as follows:

"Shosse" (as in Volokolamshoye Shosse") and "Ulitsa".

sparta1978
sparta1978
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gratitude Mar 11, 2023

useful comments from everyone.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Zoe Rompou
Zoe Rompou  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:29
Member (2018)
English to Greek
+ ...
Translating addresses Mar 14, 2023

Hi! I would suggest translating Highway Volokolamskoye shosse and Lenina str. because if you not, people may think it's about a district or region or something else's name.

sparta1978 wrote:

1) in large documents, like the passport, many pages are blank. In translation document are blank pages omitted, or included? Right now there is a translation of only pages with stamps or writing in them, and a separate PDF with all pages scanned, including the blank ones.

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 16:29
English to Russian
+ ...
When translating documents, definitely transliterate Mar 14, 2023

I think you should also transliterate address-forming elements when sending something by mail. Some of them are not readily translatable into English and people handling your package will have trouble understanding your translations of proyezd or pereulok. There are long lists of approved abbreviated forms like the one available here: https://www.alta.ru/fias/socrname/, so it may be appropriate to transliterate those ("ul. Mira," "pr-t Slavy," etc.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Immigration document translation - best practices. (Russian to English)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »