Which is the more efficient way of learning, spoken or written?
Thread poster: William Yang
William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 02:03
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 23, 2022

Since I tried new methods of learning by listening, I have found the power of spoken compounding with ominipresent socail media brocasting different subjects, sorry I'm old now and missed parts of the development of Internet.
Human started speaking and followed by written in addition to speaking. If this trend develops, could it be possible that we will use only spoken, just as we started the history.

sonyasofa
sonyasofa
Russian Federation
Both of the forms are essential Apr 15, 2023

I agree with this point of view that human being started to speak firstly long before the inventation of paper and other stationery. Without ability of good speaking you can't say that you're an Intermediate student even. But if you don't know how to write a descriptive essay about nature, for instance, you're also can't be called a quite good Engkidh or any other language student. We should develop all of the skills. So I do as one-year translation student!

Miguel González Álvarez
Miguel González Álvarez
Spain
Local time: 20:03
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both Apr 19, 2023

I agree with what you said here. I think language is foremost spoken as a living reality, but then writing is a really necessary part today as well as a really important step in human evolution.

The Council of Europe (which is not part of the EU, it's something different) maintains the CEFR, which has some really interesting theories on all this. Of course it emphasizes that you need to develop writing and speaking as well as reading and listening, at the same time. And it proposes
... See more
I agree with what you said here. I think language is foremost spoken as a living reality, but then writing is a really necessary part today as well as a really important step in human evolution.

The Council of Europe (which is not part of the EU, it's something different) maintains the CEFR, which has some really interesting theories on all this. Of course it emphasizes that you need to develop writing and speaking as well as reading and listening, at the same time. And it proposes that language learning should be action oriented, because when you use the language to fulfill a need you're mobilizing many resources.

I believe this is the full document, it is worth to take a look, even if you just give it a cursory read. Very interesting perspectives. https://rm.coe.int/common-european-framework-of-reference-for-languages-learning-teaching/16809ea0d4
Collapse

Karen Boen
Karen Boen
Australia
Local time: 02:03
Both Apr 20, 2023

I grew up with broken Mandarin at home because my dad would mix Mandarin and Indonesian in a sentence. Sometimes even english! Then I had to learn the written mandarin characters (han zi and pin yin) at school.

I think already hearing and speaking a bit of Mandarin on a daily basis really helped me in terms of context! Then learning the han zi characters blew my mind because of how you can literally join drawings together and use parts of it in other characters, and you can sort of
... See more
I grew up with broken Mandarin at home because my dad would mix Mandarin and Indonesian in a sentence. Sometimes even english! Then I had to learn the written mandarin characters (han zi and pin yin) at school.

I think already hearing and speaking a bit of Mandarin on a daily basis really helped me in terms of context! Then learning the han zi characters blew my mind because of how you can literally join drawings together and use parts of it in other characters, and you can sort of understand what the word relates to/what it means (sorry this is a bad explanation I only learned the writings a long time ago and have stopped).

So yes, both written and verbal hold equal weight when learning a language in my opinion
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Which is the more efficient way of learning, spoken or written? Apr 22, 2023

In my experience the most efficient way of learning a language is to do it by falling in love with a native speaker of the language you want to learn, and spending a lot of time with them.

The second most efficient way is to put yourself in a position where you HAVE to learn the language or die, for example by going to live in the country where that language is spoken and where you will have to do important everyday things such as getting a job, buying food, getting healthcare, maki
... See more
In my experience the most efficient way of learning a language is to do it by falling in love with a native speaker of the language you want to learn, and spending a lot of time with them.

The second most efficient way is to put yourself in a position where you HAVE to learn the language or die, for example by going to live in the country where that language is spoken and where you will have to do important everyday things such as getting a job, buying food, getting healthcare, making friends, etc.

The third most efficient way is to expose yourself to the language you want to learn by listening to the radio in that language, watching TV in that language, reading books and newspapers in that language, etc.

The LEAST efficient way is to go on a holiday to the country where that language is spoken and sit on a beach with people from your own country.

[Edited at 2023-04-22 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Daryo

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:03
English to Turkish
Proof in the pudding Apr 22, 2023

I was fascinated by the story of that homosexual German cannibal who posted an ad online to kill and eat a willing victim back in the early 00s. He claimed that after eating his partner over the course of a month his English improved because he thought he acquired his partner's linguistic skills by eating him... Sick bastard. He must regret the lac... See more
I was fascinated by the story of that homosexual German cannibal who posted an ad online to kill and eat a willing victim back in the early 00s. He claimed that after eating his partner over the course of a month his English improved because he thought he acquired his partner's linguistic skills by eating him... Sick bastard. He must regret the lack of social media back then...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/dec/04/germany.lukeharding

[Edited at 2023-04-22 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-22 19:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-04-22 19:21 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which is the more efficient way of learning, spoken or written?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »