How to upload my large file to an external Web site ?
Thread poster: Francis MARC
Francis MARC
Francis MARC
Lithuania
Local time: 01:22
English to French
+ ...
Jun 14, 2004

I have a PP file to send externally, too large to be attached to an e-mail. The receiver does'nt have an ftp site (to upload my file to its incoming directory).
I've been told that it's possible to upload a file to an external Web site address, but I don't know how to do it.
Is a special software needed?
What is the procedure?
Thanks in advance

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
you need web space Jun 14, 2004

Francis MARC wrote:
I've been told that it's possible to upload a file to an external Web site address, but I don't know how to do it.
Is a special software needed?
What is the procedure?
Thanks in advance

Hi Francis,

AFAIK, you need to have some webspace. You cannot just upload you file anywhere.
Maybe you could use your ProZ webspace... on your profile page (edit mode), on the left side at the bottom there is a link that says "edit your site".
You could upload the file there and give the address to your client to download (they should just right-click on the link you send and "save target as").
In this case you don't need any special program.

The other possibility, if you have a website, is to upload it there (probably with an ftp program).

HTH,
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-06-14 10:47]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:22
German to Spanish
Own FTP server Jun 14, 2004

I have a Email account by GMX where a can upload my files (till 1 GB)from there, I can share it with my clients.

Toledo

Francis MARC
Francis MARC
Lithuania
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I solved it! Jun 14, 2004

Fortunately my external contact had a specific/dedicated field in it's Web site design to receive external files.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
Polish to English
+ ...
ZIP? Jun 14, 2004

I presume zipping the file will not help...

You can also try zipping the file and splitting it into several parts. Winzip is capable of doing this.

The recipient would have to receive all the parts and put them together after downloading. If the recipient's mailbox is limited as well, you would have to coordinate this - he would be downloading the incoming attachments as you would be sending them.

This is a Q&D way and does not require signing up to a comme
... See more
I presume zipping the file will not help...

You can also try zipping the file and splitting it into several parts. Winzip is capable of doing this.

The recipient would have to receive all the parts and put them together after downloading. If the recipient's mailbox is limited as well, you would have to coordinate this - he would be downloading the incoming attachments as you would be sending them.

This is a Q&D way and does not require signing up to a commercial web storage site.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
if you have windows or microsoft messenger Jun 17, 2004

you can send file directly when you are both online.

There is the feature "send files or pictures" there.
I did it myself with files upto 50 mb.

You choose to send the file during conversation with your friend and he/she accepts your file. BDS system!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to upload my large file to an external Web site ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »