sandra duquenne
sandra duquenne  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:52
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
Sep 13, 2023

Is it possible to process XTM files in MemoQ or other CAT tools? Do you know how to do it? Is it easy?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sandra Sep 13, 2023

sandra duquenne wrote:
Is it possible to process XTM files in MemoQ or other CAT tools?

I haven't seen any option in XTM to export any files when I've used it recently. What formats are the files that you can export from your client's installation of XTM?

Added: I just had another XTM job. This is the only menu that allows one to download any files, and it's only the target file, not a translatable file or a bilingual file. It's possible, I guess, that some clients' XTM installations do allow for translatable file download, but I don't recall seeing that recently.

Capture-1

[Edited at 2023-09-13 15:18 GMT]

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try it Sep 13, 2023

I think the best way to know it, is by just trying it.
XTM files are usually xml files used to show maps.
Being xml files, it's possible that the text which is shown on the maps, is easily extracted.
As far as I know, it is possible to view xtm files in a browser.
So I would advise to give it a try, and after doing the translation, export it and view it in a browser to see the result.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peter Sep 13, 2023

Peter Motte wrote:
XTM files are usually xml files used to show maps. ...

I have never seen XTM used for "maps" of any kind. Are we talking about the same XTM here?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:52
English to Russian
Export XLIFF Sep 13, 2023

1. Close the XTM editor window and select the 'My Inbox' tab.
2. Click the icon to the left of the project to open the project's menu.
3. Click 'Open File Manager'. The file management screen allows you to download different types of files to work offline.
4. To work in memoQ (or any other CAT tool), select 'Generate XLIFF'.
5. Once you are done with your translation, come back to this screen and select the blue arrow to upload your translation file.

*If you don't have this screen on your side, try to find the 'Manage files' option by clicking the hamburger button in 'Tasks' or by clicking 'Target'.

It's been long time that I last used XTM, and its UI could have changed. If you add a screenshot of the page where you see your file(s) or project(s), I can suggest a more specific way.

[Edited at 2023-09-13 23:02 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Cuesta
sandra duquenne
Georgi Kovachev

Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
As Stepan said Sep 14, 2023

I work that way regularly and did it again recently. In the file manager, you generate the xliff then download it. You will later upload your translation on that same screen. I always choose 'confirm all segments' (so I don't have to confirm them manually afterwards) but still have a look at the target in the regular editor to make sure everything is fine, which mostly it is (if something is off, you can fix it even if the segment appears as confirmed). Mind you, some PMs don't enable that downl... See more
I work that way regularly and did it again recently. In the file manager, you generate the xliff then download it. You will later upload your translation on that same screen. I always choose 'confirm all segments' (so I don't have to confirm them manually afterwards) but still have a look at the target in the regular editor to make sure everything is fine, which mostly it is (if something is off, you can fix it even if the segment appears as confirmed). Mind you, some PMs don't enable that download/upload function when setting up projects in XTM so you'll have to check with your client in each particular case.Collapse

sandra duquenne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XTM > MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »