Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Anything and everything about vendor management, just ask.
Thread poster: RESOURCEFUL L10
RESOURCEFUL L10
RESOURCEFUL L10
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:46
Jun 21, 2021

Hello! I am an experienced Vendor Manager and I would like to interact with the Proz.com community in a different way than just posting job adverts and leaving reviews.

Is there anything you would like to know about vendor management and the supplier-buyer interaction in the language services industry?

Feel free to ask!

Grigori Gazarian

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Jun 22, 2021

How often do you apply your personal preference(s) and/or prejudice(s) in selection of vendors?

If any, kindly do list classifications of such biases, whether in descending or ascending order; how they operate; and, how you -and the company, assuming they're onto/filled into the situation- make peace with such choices?

Thanks

Abba Storgen (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Vendor? Jun 22, 2021

Let’s start by using the correct terminology: I’m not a vendor, I don’t sell goods to my customers, I provide a service (translation, transcreation, editing and proofreading)…

P.L.F. Persio
Peter Shortall
Matthias Brombach
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Marina Taffetani
Philip Lees
Ester Vidal

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:46
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
By all means! Jun 22, 2021

Hello Carmen,
why don't you write an article or a case study about the topic?
Chatting about it doesn't make much sense.
Regards,
Ivana

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe a silly question,....... Jun 22, 2021

...... but what is 'vendor management' in the context of translation?

Josephine Cassar

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
The answer is very easy: Jun 22, 2021

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

...... but what is 'vendor management' in the context of translation?

To place the translation job to a "vendor" who offers the "best rate".

Ester Vidal

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
You are a vendor, Teresa Jun 22, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Let’s start by using the correct terminology: I’m not a vendor, I don’t sell goods to my customers, I provide a service (translation, transcreation, editing and proofreading)…

Teresa, this is just simple business terminology. From an accounting perspective, every entity that sells goods or services to a business is a vendor. That can be the supplier of prefabricated parts, the Internet provider, lawyers, tax consultants, subcontractors, caterers, every person or business that invoices something is a vendor. Even Sir Elton John would be a vendor to a business if he sold them a song for a new commercial, so the term does not diminish the art you put into you work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendor

P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
RESOURCEFUL L10
Jorge Payan
philgoddard
Elena Feriani

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Translation-savvy Jun 22, 2021

How translation-savvy should a vendor manager be?

P.L.F. Persio

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
why... Jun 22, 2021

the only time that "vendor management" contacts me they ask me to reduce my rates? Every.Single.Time.

Matthias Brombach
Robert Rietvelt
Marina Taffetani
Ester Vidal
P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by poster
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anything and everything about vendor management, just ask.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »