Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:33
English
+ ...
Thunderbird Apr 18, 2011

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Believe it or not, I use Netscape 7.2 as e-mail client. As my e-mail service is IMAP, I can use it with Thunderbird to compare. IMO it will still take many years before T-bird becomes as functional, reliable, and user-friendly as good ol' Netscape 7.2 still is.

Okay, when I request Netscape to 'Save All' the attachmentsto a certain folder, it will advise me "index.xxx already exists: Overwrite?". Then the trouble starts. I'll have to save the duplicate files to some other folder, and manually check the them against their dupes, to ascertain whether the careless sender:
a) sent me twice (or more times) the same file by mistake; or
b) sent me different files with the same name, expecting me to guess and rebuild their directory structure, i.e. guess which index.xxx corresponds to which group of files.

AFAIK one can only attach individual files to an e-mail, not entire folders. Upon zipping, however, they may send me a whole file structure, as neatly organized as it was in their computer.

Ah, I see. Yes, Thunderbird’s lack of functionality in this regard really bothers me too. Sometimes I just wonder why it behaves the way it does. Being an open-source project, I cannot understand why it lacks certain basic functionality that old-style text-based open-source email programs have been having since forever.

Asking if you want to overwrite files is one such thing. Some way to tell you what kind of file the attachment is without having you to save it first is another. (This neatly sidesteps the need to check the apparently-duplicate file if the email program clearly tells me that it is the data fork of a Mac file.) We don’t always progress forward. It’s sad.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a zipfile for my docs

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »