Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:25
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2011

Good evening,

Probably discussed already, but I cannot find any direct answers on Proz at this time.

What do you do when there are vague clauses in the contracts the agency send you to sign? I am particularly concerned about the "non-competition" clauses such as:

"I understand that I may not contact agency X's clients, directly or indirectly, at any time during our business relationship and for a period of 3 years after terminating the relationship.”
... See more
Good evening,

Probably discussed already, but I cannot find any direct answers on Proz at this time.

What do you do when there are vague clauses in the contracts the agency send you to sign? I am particularly concerned about the "non-competition" clauses such as:

"I understand that I may not contact agency X's clients, directly or indirectly, at any time during our business relationship and for a period of 3 years after terminating the relationship.”

"I shall not attempt to direct any client away from agency X nor shall I solicit orders for translations from any of agency X's clients either for me or for any other person, firm, partnership, association or corporation.”

As I advertise my services and approach various agencies, work with various translation agencies and private clients, as well as I am being approached by companies and private clients – how can I be sure that some of them are the clients of other agency I work with (I might never even do any translation for them through this agency).
And even if they were – I might approach them (or work indirectly through other agency) without any intention of "stealing them" not knowing that they are the clients of different agency I work with.

In my opinion these statemens are too general and vague and can put me into trouble in the future.

Do you usually sign contracts with such statements or re-negotiate them?
If signed, anyone had any legal problems?

Regards,
Ewa
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:25
German to English
+ ...
No problem Oct 24, 2011

There is nothing in thses clauses to stop you working for the same client through another agency. Nor is there anything to ytop you working for the client directly if the client contacts you. The clauses look pretty fair to me.
Approaching them yourself without knowing would also be safe - u8nless the agency gave you a list of the clients that are protected. In contract clauses like this there is no strict liability - you have to know that you are acting in breach of contract. If they wan
... See more
There is nothing in thses clauses to stop you working for the same client through another agency. Nor is there anything to ytop you working for the client directly if the client contacts you. The clauses look pretty fair to me.
Approaching them yourself without knowing would also be safe - u8nless the agency gave you a list of the clients that are protected. In contract clauses like this there is no strict liability - you have to know that you are acting in breach of contract. If they wanted to impose strict liability, they would have to say something like "knowingly or unknowlingly" or "irrespective of fault" etc.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Treat each customer with absolute privacy Oct 24, 2011

When a new customer approaches you, he/she deserves an absolute privacy, and therefore you cannot start discussing this new business relationship with your other customers.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Impossible to do Oct 24, 2011

Ewa Olszowa wrote:
As I advertise my services and approach various agencies, work with various translation agencies and private clients, as well as I am being approached by companies and private clients – how can I be sure that some of them are the clients of other agency I work with (I might never even do any translation for them through this agency). ... And even if they were – I might approach them (or work indirectly through other agency) without any intention of "stealing them" not knowing that they are the clients of different agency I work with.

Try inserting "knowingly" or "deliberately" to the clause wording to make it more reasonable.

Because otherwise the clause becomes very difficult to implement (even if the client sends you a complete list of all its past, present and future clients). The administrative burden of ensuring compliance is simply too great for a lone freelance translator.

The point of these clauses is to show that you realise that the clients' clients have a business value to him, and that you agree not to undermine or undercut him or to steal clients from him that you came to know about through your business with him. I understand the wish to formalise this, but, apart from a simple promise, this is mostly not possible to ensure.

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
3 years is wayyyy too long Oct 24, 2011

I would not accept a quarantine of 3 years. I could live with six months, preferably less. Otherwise I don't find the clauses objectionable.

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:25
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 27, 2011

Thank you everyone for your input.

Regards,
Ewa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vague clauses in contracts with translation agencies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »