Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:19
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2011

I would like to have your opinion please regarding the below case:

I received a job request from somebody/individual to do a translation assignment (an individual - no agency) claiming he is from sweden.He accepted my rate and decided to pay an advanced fee of 30% of the total amount (1200 US dollars) , the rest when the translation will be finalised.

I asked to send the PO and assignment ; Neverthless, the guy insisted on sending the advance payment first via traveller
... See more
I would like to have your opinion please regarding the below case:

I received a job request from somebody/individual to do a translation assignment (an individual - no agency) claiming he is from sweden.He accepted my rate and decided to pay an advanced fee of 30% of the total amount (1200 US dollars) , the rest when the translation will be finalised.

I asked to send the PO and assignment ; Neverthless, the guy insisted on sending the advance payment first via travellers cheque.Translation will be sent by next week , he said !!

This afternoon, he contacted me via e-mail saying that his client sent by mistake a 3000 US dollars travellers cheque to my address here in Quebec. He is asking me to cash the cheque keep the 30% to start the translation ( which of course I physically do not have till now) and send back via western union the balance.

I am suspecting this is a scam.What do you think?

Cheers

[Edited at 2011-03-30 23:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-30 23:49 GMT]
Collapse

christeld (X)
christeld (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Scam Mar 30, 2011

Based on the information you provided it sounds like you've fallen victim of a scammer. I would advise you not to cash the travelers cheque, take it to your nearest police station along with a print out of all communication (preferably including full message headers for the e-mails).

You'll find a variety of similar threads here.

HTH.

Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Jean-Pierre Artigau (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Scam, of course Mar 31, 2011

This is exactly what you should not do:
Cash the cheque, then pay back the difference very soon ($ 1,800) because you are so honest, then be told much later by your bank that the original cheque was without funds, and that accordingly 3,000 $ were subtracted from you account; then it will be impossible for you to get your $ 1,800 back.

And be assured that you will never receive a translation assignment.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It seems you are not the only one! Mar 31, 2011

Please read post http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/195569-scam_alert.html

Is it similar?

Regards

Clarisa

Fouad El karnichi
Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Mar 31, 2011

Thank you Cristeld and Clarisa.

Now , am quite certain about it...strange heh !

I do not understand why those pity and shallow prxxxks are targetting our forums...?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SCAMMMMM!!!!! Mar 31, 2011

Delete and forget.

Andrea Wurth
Andrea Wurth
Germany
Local time: 15:19
Member (2008)
French to German
Good Morning Mar 31, 2011

I received the same translation project and this twice.

The first time in january and the second time this week according to a bidding via proz.
Each time I was given a sample text and I was asked to indicate my personal data and banking details, which I never indicated.
In return I asekd for more information about the project and I insisted of indicating the right address since I wondered why it always was posted as a german one (which after investigations did not exist
... See more
I received the same translation project and this twice.

The first time in january and the second time this week according to a bidding via proz.
Each time I was given a sample text and I was asked to indicate my personal data and banking details, which I never indicated.
In return I asekd for more information about the project and I insisted of indicating the right address since I wondered why it always was posted as a german one (which after investigations did not exist) and when answering it was in Canada (in january) respectively in Sweden (the bidding of this week).
Furthermore I indicated that I would not accept payment via Traveller cheques but only via Paypal.
Since then I did not get any answer...

Now I am really glad not having "dived" deeper into this affair which and I wish that such scammers would be banned from proz.
Collapse

giu_seppa
giu_seppa
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for these comments Mar 31, 2011

I am in touch with the same person. He applied exactly the same method as Fouad explained. By chance I found all your advices and I am sure now it must be a scammer. Thank you to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange request

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »