Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 07:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2021

Hello all,
I've just started a subtitle QA project and the work involves checking newly-created SDH captions of old films. The OTT platform provides the original scripts, usually in PDF form, and these have to be typed out and segmented into subtitles.
To optimise the workflow, it would be very useful to be able to open the PDF, transcribe one page, then jump to the next page of the PDF with a keyboard hotkey, transcribe it, and so on, without having to switch between the PDF and the
... See more
Hello all,
I've just started a subtitle QA project and the work involves checking newly-created SDH captions of old films. The OTT platform provides the original scripts, usually in PDF form, and these have to be typed out and segmented into subtitles.
To optimise the workflow, it would be very useful to be able to open the PDF, transcribe one page, then jump to the next page of the PDF with a keyboard hotkey, transcribe it, and so on, without having to switch between the PDF and the text document.
So I wanted to know how do you usually transcribe PDFs and whether there is an online app similar to video transcription apps.
Collapse

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:45
French to English
+ ...
Online solutions Jun 9, 2021

Forgive me if I have misunderstood your situation, but you can convert a PDF into a modifiable Word document online for free (here is one good tool: https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/pdf-to-word.html); you could then do the segmenting in that Word document.

Jorge Payan
neilmac

Pilar Dueñas
Pilar Dueñas  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 07:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great app! Jun 9, 2021

Thank you, Victoria. I've uploaded a script and the transcription is actually fairly accurate considering that some scripts are from the '30s and '40s.
It's not only about segmenting, there is a lot of non-dialogue information that needs to be deleted, but this is very useful. Thank you!

[Edited at 2021-06-09 20:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a PDF transcription app

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »