Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 14:55
Greek to English
Randomness Dec 22, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Today I posted a question on Kudoz.
I got the notification of the question, but I didn't get the first translation suggestion, even though I am using a different email address.
This leads me to conclude that it has nothing to do with my server, but with Proz itself.

I understand your frustration, but that conclusion doesn't necessarily follow.

For the last couple of years I've had problems with gmail blocking some of the mails I send. This relates to both business correspondence and mails to friends I've been corresponding with for years, in some cases decades. It's specifically a problem with gmail, not hotmail, yahoo, or the other big providers.

In some cases my mails were sent to spam; in others I got a message that my mail had been blocked for vague reasons; in others they just disappeared into a black hole. I found out how to whitelist mail senders on gmail, so I could inform my clients/friends when necessary.

But it wasn't all my messages, just some of them.

So there is no consistency in this. It seems to be random whether a mail service blocks an incoming mail or not. Whitelisting usually solves the problem, but not always.

By the way, I have my own web server, which includes a mail server, with its own IP address. So there is no reason why my mails should be blocked unless it's part of a wider and too-inclusive form of screening.

Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:55
German to English
+ ...
It follows! Dec 26, 2022

The site unfortunately wants traffic, nothing else. Quality doesn't count much here. My hopes were higher too,

Barbara Carrara

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
3 months Apr 2, 2023

More than 3 months after reporting a similar issue, I yesterday finally received an apologetic reply from the site suggesting I "verify my registered accounts". I verified both. No change. Replies still do not reach me.

They always seem to assume the weakness is at our end, while they are "pushing for a new level in quality of service". Pretty much gone to the dogz.

Maybe Henry's just not interested any longer. Understandable, I suppose.

Barbara Carrara

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:55
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cilian, Apr 2, 2023

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

More than 3 months after reporting a similar issue, I yesterday finally received an apologetic reply from the site suggesting I "verify my registered accounts". I verified both. No change. Replies still do not reach me.

They always seem to assume the weakness is at our end, while they are "pushing for a new level in quality of service". Pretty much gone to the dogz.

Maybe Henry's just not interested any longer. Understandable, I suppose.

That is very strange. There was actually a period not too long ago during which several members were complaining, including me. However, a few days later, things got back to normal.
I also thought for a moment that Proz didn't care with losing members, but I guess that was never the case. I believe, there is no interest in getting members to quit the site.
After all, paying members or not, if it weren't us, language professionals, this place wouldn't exist, right?
I am sure the staff will do something for you.

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
@expressisverbis Apr 5, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:

That is very strange. There was actually a period not too long ago during which several members were complaining, including me. However, a few days later, things got back to normal.

I am sure the staff will do something for you.

Thanks for your reply. The staff have been in touch. My email address (@gmx.de) seems to have been the problem. I've changed it.

Would you mind replying to this post so I can see if I receive notification of your posting. When you have a moment. Thank you.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope you can receive this reply... Apr 5, 2023

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The staff have been in touch. My email address (@gmx.de) seems to have been the problem. I've changed it.

Would you mind replying to this post so I can see if I receive notification of your posting. When you have a moment. Thank you.

I am glad the staff solved, and spotted it! Fingers crossed!

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 5, 2023

I had to check manually to see if you had replied - no notification received. I've informed site staff.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Apr 5, 2023

I didn't get your reply either. On the other hand, I am being notified of my own posts here...!

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contacting your email provider Apr 6, 2023

Good morning Cilian and Forum,

some time ago, I had this very same Problem. I use a [email protected] address. Site staff told me the Messages kept bouncing back and that I should contact my email Provider. I did that and they said in order to solve the Problem, they Need the reasonn for this bounce-back and I asked Proz then to send me one error Report, which they did and the Problem got solved. Maybe it is the same for gmx.de? Have yo
... See more
Good morning Cilian and Forum,

some time ago, I had this very same Problem. I use a [email protected] address. Site staff told me the Messages kept bouncing back and that I should contact my email Provider. I did that and they said in order to solve the Problem, they Need the reasonn for this bounce-back and I asked Proz then to send me one error Report, which they did and the Problem got solved. Maybe it is the same for gmx.de? Have you tried contacting their Support? I know they don't answer but on another Occasion, I contacted them and my Problem got solved almost instantly.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Notifications off!? Apr 6, 2023

Thanks for the last two replies - I got notifications of both.

Apparently my forum tracking notifications were turned off, however that happened.

Now it just remains to be seen if I also get notifications of comments on my contributions in Kudoz.

Ciao for now,
C

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stopped receiving any notification from the site

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »