Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Why oppose regulation of translation and interpreting professions?
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessarily Enrique Aug 3, 2005

two2tango wrote:

So, in this way, translator from Texas would be given a monopoly, leaving out translators from outside Texas.

I find this dangerous.

Enrique

Nowhere on the document does it state that other testing and certification is null and void.

If you read Section 531.456, there is also the stipulation that the advisory committee will advise the commission on reciprocity agreements with other states with respect to their laws regarding the profession.

It also does not state that a person is OBLIGATED to exclusively pick from people with these qualifications. It is saying "establish and recommend". This means that a person or client is not obligated to pick exclusively from this group. They can pick whomever they choose but this offers some type of standard when choosing.

In every just about every profession, there is some regulation.

Why should this profession be any different?

[Edited at 2005-08-04 09:59]

Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
French to English
+ ...
Suggestions for Help Re Certiffication and Guidelines Aug 3, 2005

Yolanda:

I suggest

1) you get in touch with the Administrative Office of the Trial Court of Massachusetts...The lady in charge is Ms. Gentes..she can give you a lot of information about a State Court System for certifying interpreters who work for them....They only consider those interpreters who work for them as "certified". They have a process for certifying them. For some languages there is no exam of course..But, there is a whole process..

2) All the
... See more
Yolanda:

I suggest

1) you get in touch with the Administrative Office of the Trial Court of Massachusetts...The lady in charge is Ms. Gentes..she can give you a lot of information about a State Court System for certifying interpreters who work for them....They only consider those interpreters who work for them as "certified". They have a process for certifying them. For some languages there is no exam of course..But, there is a whole process..

2) All the big hospitals in Mass have Medical Interpreting Programs. There are some very professional people running those programs. Professional interpreters/linguists, I mean. The hospital themselves have guidelines, rules, tests etc. for the interpreters they hire. Most have to take a test, if one is available. The system works very well. Start with Mass General...

3) Boston College and others [UMass] have a Certificate in Medical Interpreting and Legal Interpreting. When you apply for a job, some places like to see that you have these certificates for those languages.

4) I don't think the medical and legal interpreting should be state regulated in all cases at all. But I think the right to receive the services with a de minimis definition of professional interpreter should be included.

I think people on this list are confusing your efforts to talk about the right to have an interpreters with regulations regarding who gets to interpret.

A definition of a professional interpreter for purposes of enacting that right - a Federal right by the way - is not that hard to come up with..

We'll continue talking about this. I will write my suggestions for changes to the bill..

Keep up the good work..

Jane
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
Jane Lamb-Ru (X)
French to English
+ ...
Specificities Aug 3, 2005

Let's not confuse:

Conference Interpreting (which is simultaneous)private/government sectors
Consecutive Interpreting private/government sector
Legal Interpreting (in courts, jails and depositions)government and law firms
Medical Interpreting (in hospitals, insurance companies,etc)private/government
Liaison interpreting (walking around interpreting w/groups)same as others re venue
Whisper interpreting (for one person)same as others re venue

... See more
Let's not confuse:

Conference Interpreting (which is simultaneous)private/government sectors
Consecutive Interpreting private/government sector
Legal Interpreting (in courts, jails and depositions)government and law firms
Medical Interpreting (in hospitals, insurance companies,etc)private/government
Liaison interpreting (walking around interpreting w/groups)same as others re venue
Whisper interpreting (for one person)same as others re venue

Also, let's not confuse the Right to an Interpreter with
Institutional Rules and Regulations

And finally, let's not confuse Geography....the US, Europe etc.

Thanx
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:08
German to English
Why oppose regulation? Aug 4, 2005

My response to Yolanda's specific question regarding certification for medical translators/interpreters in the state of Texas is that an attempt to regulate seems reasonable. I notice they will be requiring 60 hours of training. Why not? Surely, no one would object to having teachers trained and certified before entering a classroom, so why is it a terrible thing to require training and certification for medical translators/interpreters before they start working in hospitals? I have seen horrend... See more
My response to Yolanda's specific question regarding certification for medical translators/interpreters in the state of Texas is that an attempt to regulate seems reasonable. I notice they will be requiring 60 hours of training. Why not? Surely, no one would object to having teachers trained and certified before entering a classroom, so why is it a terrible thing to require training and certification for medical translators/interpreters before they start working in hospitals? I have seen horrendous translations provided by state-certified translators here in Mexico – the intended audience (English speakers) would be better off learning Spanish than trying to understand the English. Requiring training and testing prior to certification might improve things.

I believe translation certification can be a useful general measure of a translator's competence. I also know there are plenty of uncertified translators doing excellent work, and I know that certified translators are not qualified for every job that comes along. Of course it would be foolish to rely only on certification and not make sure the certified translator is also competent for a particular job. So, in any case, I agree with Mats the best thing for a client to do is test potential translators for competence for a particular job.

Mats Wiman wrote:

To bar those without a certificate from
having a chance to develop into new areas would be
counterproductive "if we want to improve translation quality
in the world."

All certification solutions tend IMHO to produce the opposite.

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
[email protected]

So you think a hospital in Texas is likely to be staffed and qualified to test the proficiency of a medical translator? I don't think so. Give people a chance to develop into medical translation/interpretation in a hospital? Let them learn by doing? How does this improve translation quality, Mats? Is requiring medical translators to get some training and pass a test "barring" them from having a chance to develop? They do have a chance to develop: they can get some training and pass a test.

[Edited at 2005-08-04 18:30]

[Edited at 2005-08-04 19:35]

[Edited at 2005-08-04 23:44]

[Edited at 2005-08-04 23:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why oppose regulation of translation and interpreting professions?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »