Vetting of forum posts
Thread poster: TonyTK
TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
May 30, 2021

Can't find anything in the site rules, so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone know if there are different vetting times for posts by paying and non-paying members? My posts tend to appear on the forums two to four days after I upload them. Not that my posts are particularly readable or important, but if they drop off the bottom of the list before anyone has the chance to see them or get hidden after post 10 on what has since become a 100-post topic, then it's probably not worth uploading them in... See more
Can't find anything in the site rules, so I thought I'd ask here. Does anyone know if there are different vetting times for posts by paying and non-paying members? My posts tend to appear on the forums two to four days after I upload them. Not that my posts are particularly readable or important, but if they drop off the bottom of the list before anyone has the chance to see them or get hidden after post 10 on what has since become a 100-post topic, then it's probably not worth uploading them in the first place.Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:55
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Forums are on free access to ProZ members and posts are immediately put on line May 31, 2021

All ProZ forums are on free access to paying and non-paying members. The most recent post or the most recent answer to any former post (even ancient post sometimes...) comes at the top of the 2 pages list before being archived and sorted out by post categories on the main forums archive.

But one thing's for certain: every topic raised by any member is immediately put on line, without any delay nor vetting process beforehand.

Of course, as a general rule of ProZ website
... See more
All ProZ forums are on free access to paying and non-paying members. The most recent post or the most recent answer to any former post (even ancient post sometimes...) comes at the top of the 2 pages list before being archived and sorted out by post categories on the main forums archive.

But one thing's for certain: every topic raised by any member is immediately put on line, without any delay nor vetting process beforehand.

Of course, as a general rule of ProZ website, each topic (or each contribution to a topic) shall be posted under the sole responsability of the sender and under control afterwards of a forum moderator.

[Modifié le 2021-05-31 18:22 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply, ... May 31, 2021

Laurent.

The reason I ask is that my last two posts in the Covid-19 Forum have only been approved after 2 and 4 days, respectively. During this period, the posts are highlighted on my screen with the accompanying message "Your post has not yet been approved" (or similar).

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 03:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Non-member comments need to wait for "approval" Jun 1, 2021

The site may be accessible to everyone, but as the message you got suggests, replies by non-Proz members have to wait to get "approved" by a forum moderator (look in the upper-left-hand corner after you post something and you'll see a message saying "Your message has been stored in the database. Your message will be reviewed by a moderator before it is made visible" and then, over your grayed-out post, you'll see "Your post has not yet been approved by a moderator"). Some moderators are faster t... See more
The site may be accessible to everyone, but as the message you got suggests, replies by non-Proz members have to wait to get "approved" by a forum moderator (look in the upper-left-hand corner after you post something and you'll see a message saying "Your message has been stored in the database. Your message will be reviewed by a moderator before it is made visible" and then, over your grayed-out post, you'll see "Your post has not yet been approved by a moderator"). Some moderators are faster than others, but they just don't always have time to check posts and approve them in a timely manner, so that's why the delay. I assume this is one of the ways Proz tries to encourage people to become paying members, who benefit by having that posts show up immediately without needing approval. This has been my experience from both sides, as a paying member and now as a non-paying outsider. The time lag has dramatically increased over the past year (presumably COVID has played a role in this), and it does indeed make posts by us non-members irrelevant by the time they show up. I don't especially like it, but I understand the rationale from a business point of view so members actually do get extra benefits for their money.

[Edited at 2021-06-01 05:55 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Posts from non-members/unverified users are vetted Jun 1, 2021

Posts from non-members/unverified users are indeed vetted before they are published.

FAQ: https://www.proz.com/faq/3064#3064

Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately. Postings from all others are checked before being made visible. Most postings are approved within 12 hours.

Laurent Di Raimondo
P.L.F. Persio

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Catherine and Thomas - Jun 1, 2021

- that makes sense. I assumed it was business-driven, which is fair enough.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-06-01 12:08 GMT]

writeaway

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:55
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Being verified is free or costs $ 5 Jun 2, 2021

@ TonyTK and Catherine Howard
Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately.

You can see how to have your identity verified here.
https://www.proz.com/faq/2410#2410

Of course, this does not give you all the privileges of membership, but you will see the little black tick after your name, which many users have, and you can
... See more
@ TonyTK and Catherine Howard
Forum postings from members and users with verified identities appear immediately.

You can see how to have your identity verified here.
https://www.proz.com/faq/2410#2410

Of course, this does not give you all the privileges of membership, but you will see the little black tick after your name, which many users have, and you can contribute to forum discussions while they are still relevant.

Many moderators are volunteers, with work and lives outside Proz.com, so if there are a lot of posts to vet, they may not get round to it straight away, even though they try to find time.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Michele Fauble
P.L.F. Persio

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jun 4, 2021

Christine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vetting of forum posts

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »