Beware of qandaresearch.com beautifully crafted scam
Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
German to English
Give them an "A" for effort Sep 23, 2015

Very few scammers put forth the amount of effort these people did, going through the trouble of registering and setting up a web site. Doubtless dozen of victims will blindly send their credit card numbers, ensuring a continuing stream of ill-gotten gain.

"If God didn't want them to be sheared, he would not have made them sheep"
Calvera in The Magnificent Seven

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Re Apex Translations Sep 23, 2015

Ksenia West wrote:

...About a month ago, there was a scam impersonating Apex Translations when freelancers were contacted by a person named Emily Phillips with the following offer:

Sincerely,

Emily Phillips
Apex Translations - Project Manager"

For the record in this thread, Emily Phillips at Apex Translations is a perfectly legitimate translation agency and project manager. This scam was an impersonation of a legitimate agency.

[Edited at 2015-09-23 15:07 GMT]

Tatiana Fajfar
Tatiana Fajfar  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quandaresearch & Apex scams are related Sep 23, 2015

I also received their mail offer. There were some mistakes in the information provided that drew my attention. When checking the respective websites, they are taking names, position descriptions and photos from both these companies.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:49
English to Czech
+ ...
Just another copy paste loser Sep 23, 2015

Ksenia West wrote:

Hi guys!

This one looks surprisingly familiar to me, and I think I know why. About a month ago, there was a scam impersonating Apex Translations when freelancers were contacted by a person named Emily Phillips with the following offer:

Exactly, this type of scam is nothing new or "elaborated".
Congrats to Mr Joao Roque "Hammer of the Scammers" Dias, excellent investigation, as always! (imagine here a couple of the thumb up emoticons from Skype (couldn't it be added to Proz?))

Isabel Peralta
Isabel Peralta  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not via Proz... Sep 23, 2015

Yolanda Broad wrote:

...please provide the message header info to ProZ.com Support, so they can track down the scammer and block him/her. Here is the link for submitting a support request: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&sp_sub_mode=ticket_submit . Select "Report abuse" from the dropdown menu.

... but I have had a few non-logged visits in the contact details area of my ProZ profile, previous to the arrival of this mail from somebody called Amanda Harrison, giving me a 6 hours long deadline to sign and return a very strange agreement document where I should accept they are my "translation agents" (!!), and requesting to pay with my credit card a fee "to be returned, this is just to check your identity".

I would laugh my head off, but it is not really funny... I wasted some time today going through the documents they sent. It did smell dead rat from the start, but I had to find the rat to believe it I should have checked this post first...

[Editado a las 2015-09-23 19:36 GMT]

warren pino
warren pino
United States
This is absolutely a scam Sep 23, 2015

Hi All,

I am President and Owner of Q & A Research, Inc., a national marketing research firm. We have received numerous calls and emails regarding employment opportunities with our company THAT DO NOT EXIST. Upon further investigation someone has created a website qandaresearch.com and attempted to pass themselves off as being my company. The audacity is shocking, as they have stolen our logo and some of our web content, and fabricated a scheme to notify people that we have made th
... See more
Hi All,

I am President and Owner of Q & A Research, Inc., a national marketing research firm. We have received numerous calls and emails regarding employment opportunities with our company THAT DO NOT EXIST. Upon further investigation someone has created a website qandaresearch.com and attempted to pass themselves off as being my company. The audacity is shocking, as they have stolen our logo and some of our web content, and fabricated a scheme to notify people that we have made them a job offer, then it asks them to complete information online, including some sort of background check in the amount of $23, as I understand it.

Please do not entertain their emails or offers. I am doing everything I can to shut them down.

I am retaining as much information as I can about their operation but have been told that there is little we can do to find and charge the person or persons involved. I feel so violated.

If you need to reach me, my email is [email protected]. 415.883.1188 x104

Best,

Warren Pino
Collapse

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received a letter two Sep 23, 2015

I´ve received a letter from the same company. The links they provided in the registration form don´t work, but I was concerned because:

a) I have no recollection of having applied to them.
b) the rate was unusually high
c) they seemed to want to rush me into making a decisión minutes after I´d got the email:
"This offer w¡ll expire if not finalized by Wednesday, 23rd September at 12AM EST" and the position given to the next qulaified applicant (If I´ve been
... See more
I´ve received a letter from the same company. The links they provided in the registration form don´t work, but I was concerned because:

a) I have no recollection of having applied to them.
b) the rate was unusually high
c) they seemed to want to rush me into making a decisión minutes after I´d got the email:
"This offer w¡ll expire if not finalized by Wednesday, 23rd September at 12AM EST" and the position given to the next qulaified applicant (If I´ve been chosen out of hundreds of translators surely they can wait a day or two).
d) the requirement for a 20$ deposit.

I was suspicious they were using high rates as the bate to make lots of translators deposit their 20$ and after that they would disappear.
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Ok Sep 24, 2015

Philippe Etienne wrote:

there is a comma (or percent-2C) appended to the website address that shouldn't be there. The website is still on air.

Ok, didn't see it. Thanks.

João Roque Dias
João Roque Dias
Portugal
Local time: 23:49
English to Portuguese
SCAMMERS DOWN Sep 24, 2015

The domain www.qandaresearch.com is now disabled:

Queried whois.1and1.com with "qandaresearch.com"...

No match for domain "qandaresearch.com".

[Edited at 2015-09-24 21:46 GMT]

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 07:49
Japanese to English
"$81,000 USD" per year, working at home: immediate red flag! Sep 25, 2015

These work at home scams are common.

"$81,000 USD" per year, working at home, paid every week...
that's all you need to read to know it's a scam!

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
HiPayPanel.com leading to the same name Dec 29, 2015

I just checked out details a current job posting that leads via their domain name to the same name Julian Hatman and notified staff.
http://www.proz.com/job/1101884

The domain name to contact via email is careers@HiPayPanel.com:
http://whois.domaintools.com/hipaypanel.com
... See more
I just checked out details a current job posting that leads via their domain name to the same name Julian Hatman and notified staff.
http://www.proz.com/job/1101884

The domain name to contact via email is careers@HiPayPanel.com:
http://whois.domaintools.com/hipaypanel.com

The name Julian Hatman appears on Translation Scammers according to a twitter post, but appears to have been removed on the translationscammers site.
https://twitter.com/tsdirectory/status/646751161031245824
Link from twitter post:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/#n109

It is unusual for a scammer to register a domain name with full name rather than private. Maybe the legitimate name Julian Hatman is being used by an impersonator, although the domain name hipaypanel.com doesn't promise much good.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Research Dec 29, 2015

As a general principle, if anyone calls me, seems to be respectable and speaks good English, greets me by name (which they could have obtained anywhere), and says they are carrying out research, I don't confirm my name back to them and end the call immediately.

By confirming who you are to some unknown person and then allowing them to ask you for more information, you are actually feeding them data that they can then put along with other information about you that they may have har
... See more
As a general principle, if anyone calls me, seems to be respectable and speaks good English, greets me by name (which they could have obtained anywhere), and says they are carrying out research, I don't confirm my name back to them and end the call immediately.

By confirming who you are to some unknown person and then allowing them to ask you for more information, you are actually feeding them data that they can then put along with other information about you that they may have harvested somewhere else.

In the most benign situation, this may suddenly generate an avalanche of unwanted calls or emails from people wanting to sell you insurance etc.

In the most malign situation it may lead to identity theft, money stolen from your bank account, etc.

If you have the slightest doubt, stay away !!! The above caveats apply to online offers as well as telephone contacts. The more professional they seem, the less you should have to do with them.

[Edited at 2015-12-29 15:42 GMT]
Collapse

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Jan 4, 2016

Thanks to everyone for your very useful contributions and specially to Alvaro for starting this thread.
I nearly fell for it. My doubts and your research saved me. I owe you a beer or whatever you prefer.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of qandaresearch.com beautifully crafted scam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »