Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: What is your experience of participating in the ProZ community?
Thread poster: Nikitakou
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:02
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Done! Aug 15, 2010

If we all agree, you could donate the prize to a charitable purpose.
Good luck!

Nikitakou
Nikitakou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Aug 15, 2010

Firstly, thank you all for taking part and the amount of feedback and insightful info I've received! ProZ is without doubt the friendliest and most cooperative community I have come across. I will make sure to take every one of your suggestions into account ASAP. (I've been away from a computer all day, so there are a lot of posts and emails to catch up on!).

As requested by a many of you, I will publish all of my findings right here once all the data is in and analysed (which shoul
... See more
Firstly, thank you all for taking part and the amount of feedback and insightful info I've received! ProZ is without doubt the friendliest and most cooperative community I have come across. I will make sure to take every one of your suggestions into account ASAP. (I've been away from a computer all day, so there are a lot of posts and emails to catch up on!).

As requested by a many of you, I will publish all of my findings right here once all the data is in and analysed (which should happen by the end of the month).

In the meantime, you might be interested in the map below that I've extracted from my survey management homepage: it portrays the locations of those who took the survey so far. While it doesn't seem particularly precise (one of the dots implies someone completed my survey from a boat 100km off the Northeastern coast of US; another one from the peaks of Himalayas), it gives a good indication of how remarkably dispersed members of ProZ are across the entire planet:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy296/ms09nk/ProZSurvey.jpg

[Edited at 2010-08-15 23:57 GMT]
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Done! Aug 16, 2010

Fun survey--hope our responses help.

I, too, was wondering at the limitation of questions to the fora. My "experience of participating in the ProZ community" has at least as much to do with KudoZ as with the fora. If the questions about my level of participation (helping, asking for help) included the KudoZ section, my answers would have been different.

Good luck!

Jane

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Veronica Aug 16, 2010

Veronica Lupascu wrote:
There is written the word "MODERATOR" with green letters under the name of a moderator in his forum posts. Aren't they the proZ.com moderators?

Quite right -- I missed that. However, even if a moderator is not the moderator from a certain forum, when he posts in that forum he is indicated as a moderator. This does not mean that he knows more about that particular forum than other people -- he might be a moderator of some other forum.

Romain Galati
Romain Galati  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Done Aug 16, 2010

It's done. I'm new on ProZ so I will only judge on the current state of the website.

Greetings from France,

Romain

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Well, with WIFI and laptops, you never know... Aug 16, 2010

Nikitakou wrote:

While it doesn't seem particularly precise (one of the dots implies someone completed my survey from a boat 100km off the Northeastern coast of US; another one from the peaks of Himalayas), it gives a good indication of how remarkably dispersed members of ProZ are across the entire planet:

[Edited at 2010-08-15 23:57 GMT]

Maria Mastruzzo
Maria Mastruzzo  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Completed Aug 16, 2010

I have completed the survey and wish you all the best.

Maria

Nikitakou
Nikitakou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
More on the Survey Aug 16, 2010

A few of you have drawn attention to the KudoZ section - thank you for pointing it out to me and I agree with your points - unfortunately I only became aware of this section's purpose after posting the survey and the only thing I can realistically do now is take KudoZ into consideration when interpreting the results.

Right now, so as not to skew the results halfway through, please regard the questions with respect to the ProZ forums only.

Samuel: Thanks for the h
... See more
A few of you have drawn attention to the KudoZ section - thank you for pointing it out to me and I agree with your points - unfortunately I only became aware of this section's purpose after posting the survey and the only thing I can realistically do now is take KudoZ into consideration when interpreting the results.

Right now, so as not to skew the results halfway through, please regard the questions with respect to the ProZ forums only.

Samuel: Thanks for the heads up about sections 14-16 and the forum's situation with the moderators - I was also made aware of this by Maria (the moderator) prior to posting the survey, so the matter will also be accounted for when interpreting the results and poses no major issue. Past moderators should answer the questions with regards to the current situation (and they have correctly done so).

Kind regards,

Nikita
Collapse

Nikitakou
Nikitakou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Quick Update Aug 18, 2010

Hey everyone,

Just a quick update that I'll be closing the survey on 21st August (this Saturday), so if you wish to take the survey and haven't yet done so, you have two more days to participate.

Thus far I've had a healthy 51 responses from ProZ members, but naturally it would be great to have some more participants before the survey deadline.

Kind regards,

Nikita

(P.S. I hope this post becomes visible sometim
... See more
Hey everyone,

Just a quick update that I'll be closing the survey on 21st August (this Saturday), so if you wish to take the survey and haven't yet done so, you have two more days to participate.

Thus far I've had a healthy 51 responses from ProZ members, but naturally it would be great to have some more participants before the survey deadline.

Kind regards,

Nikita

(P.S. I hope this post becomes visible sometime before Saturday, as it took a day for my previous post to become publicly viewable)
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Done! Aug 19, 2010

It's good you said you intend to close the survey and gave the date - I haven't visited the home page for a few days, now I saw your thread and immediately knew I need to hurry up if I want to help you - good management on your part.
And I'm also of the opinion that the prize is not necessary - we don't help people here for any prizes, we just help.

... See more
It's good you said you intend to close the survey and gave the date - I haven't visited the home page for a few days, now I saw your thread and immediately knew I need to hurry up if I want to help you - good management on your part.
And I'm also of the opinion that the prize is not necessary - we don't help people here for any prizes, we just help.

BTW, I also used to be a mod - not for the forums, but for Kudoz. Still, ...
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where's my dot? Aug 19, 2010

Nikitakou wrote:

In the meantime, you might be interested in the map below that I've extracted from my survey management homepage: it portrays the locations of those who took the survey so far.

Awww...my dot didn't show up. I'm from Puerto Rico, so a dot in the Caribbean would totally obliterate the Island, anyway.

Thanks for the kind words about ProZ.com! It's good to hear.

Jane

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:02
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Mine either :( Aug 19, 2010

JaneTranslates wrote:
Awww...my dot didn't show up.
Jane

Mine didn't show up either (Uruguay). Why do you think that could be?

Nikitakou
Nikitakou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Your Dots Aug 19, 2010

JaneTranslates wrote:

Awww...my dot didn't show up. I'm from Puerto Rico, so a dot in the Caribbean would totally obliterate the Island, anyway.

Here is an updated map:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy296/ms09nk/ProZ_Dispersion.jpg

That one and only dot over the Caribbean must be yours.

Laureana: As I mentioned earlier, for some reason the dots are not very accurately positioned, in the case of South America they are displaced a couple thousand miles to the North. So the southermost dots (ones over southern Brazil) are in fact the Uruguay/La Plata - your dot .

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:02
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Nice! Aug 19, 2010

Nikitakou wrote:
Laureana: As I mentioned earlier, for some reason the dots are not very accurately positioned, in the case of South America they are displaced a couple thousand miles to the North. So the southermost dots (ones over southern Brazil) are in fact the Uruguay/La Plata - your dot .

It's quite cold here in Uruguay right now, it might be a wonderful idea to move to Brazil!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Best of luck with your dissertation!

Nikitakou
Nikitakou
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Survey Aug 22, 2010

Dear all,

Thank you for all the responses so far (63 of you!)

Just a quick note that I'll be closing the survey tomorrow, so if you haven't yet given your opinions - this is your last chance!

You can access it here:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/349305/ks-ProZ

As mentioned previously, I'll share all of my findings within the nex
... See more
Dear all,

Thank you for all the responses so far (63 of you!)

Just a quick note that I'll be closing the survey tomorrow, so if you haven't yet given your opinions - this is your last chance!

You can access it here:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/349305/ks-ProZ

As mentioned previously, I'll share all of my findings within the next week.

Many thanks,

Nikita
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your experience of participating in the ProZ community?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »