Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How are your capacity? 10000 words/day?
Thread poster: nortranslate (X)
Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
I think we can not generalize... Apr 24, 2009

It's very interesting. Last time an agency asked me to transale about 8400 words in 1,5 day. After checking the text I was positive surprised, the text was relatively easy and full of repetitions, so I did the translation and 1 x proof-reading almost within 1 day - full day.
Usually my daily capacit lies between 2500-3500 words/day.

So I think the capacity depends on the text, transltion subject, language combination, if we are multilingual and our condition.

I
... See more
It's very interesting. Last time an agency asked me to transale about 8400 words in 1,5 day. After checking the text I was positive surprised, the text was relatively easy and full of repetitions, so I did the translation and 1 x proof-reading almost within 1 day - full day.
Usually my daily capacit lies between 2500-3500 words/day.

So I think the capacity depends on the text, transltion subject, language combination, if we are multilingual and our condition.

I think we can not generalize...

All the best,
Ann
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:07
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hehehehe Apr 24, 2009

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Or more probably 3 months rehabilitation in an asylum.

I loved this answer

I think that kind of projects must be rejected. Next time, clients will propose it some days before the deadline.

Transtextuel
Transtextuel
France
Local time: 01:07
English to French
+ ...
From my blog Apr 26, 2009

Hello,

A short article about words / day on my FR blog : http://transtextuel.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/cacahuetes-cadences-meandres/

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Reasonable number of words May 25, 2009

On average, I translate some 39,000 words a month (with an average 27,000 new, "no match" words). And I can live upon that.

Working as a freelancer, my records so far were:
- A month with 100,000 words (of which 80,000 "no match"); and I worked very hard. Needed holidays immediately. Didn't want to end in an asylum!
- 10,000 words in a single day - but a very easy and pleasant project, full of repetitions (both CAT-tool and non-CAT-tool repetitions), and my client (anoth
... See more
On average, I translate some 39,000 words a month (with an average 27,000 new, "no match" words). And I can live upon that.

Working as a freelancer, my records so far were:
- A month with 100,000 words (of which 80,000 "no match"); and I worked very hard. Needed holidays immediately. Didn't want to end in an asylum!
- 10,000 words in a single day - but a very easy and pleasant project, full of repetitions (both CAT-tool and non-CAT-tool repetitions), and my client (another translator) on Skype all the time available to ask him about missing terminology.
Collapse

Ana Irena Hudi
Ana Irena Hudi
Local time: 01:07
English to Croatian
+ ...
as for a daily capacity ... May 25, 2009

Alex Lago wrote:

I translate into various language pairs, but in my two strongest (EN>ES, ES>EN), on a general text I can do about 500 words per hour (that includes translating and proofreading), so to do 10,000 words I would have to work 20 hours. As I usually translate for about 6-8 hours a day I can do between 3,000 and 4,000 words per day.
This is how I do as well. But my guess is that, with all the checking and careful translation, it shouldn't and couldn't be more than 4 000 words/ day...

[Edited at 2009-05-25 13:32 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
You said it! May 25, 2009

Ana Irena Hudi wrote:
This is how I do as well. But my guess is that, with all the checking and careful translation, it shouldn't and couldn't be more than 4 000 words/ day...

That's how I estimate deadlines. My average is 3,000 words/day. If the client says 12,000 words, I estimate 4 days.

This leaves me some room in the meantime to take any minor, but deadly urgent, job from a good client I want to keep happy.

When it's all about going full blast, my record so far was 9,065 words in one day. however checking was left for the next day. I'm almost sure I can't keep this speed over consecutive days.

Before anyone asks, yes, I use WordFast, but my typical job, in average, has

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How are your capacity? 10000 words/day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »