Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:02
Spanish to English
Ok, thanks Apr 2, 2009

Parrot wrote:

No notifications. I DO have a view of the vetted contributions now.

I hope Jared is following this, as there is obviously some kind of problem. I wanted to make sure that you got notification of both the entry I accepted without any changes and the one I modified. I was concerned you might not receive the latter, but neither is bad, and that might explain why some people are not coming back to leave feedback on the entries they have made.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not to worry Apr 2, 2009

Nikki Graham wrote:

Parrot wrote:

No notifications. I DO have a view of the vetted contributions now.

I hope Jared is following this, as there is obviously some kind of problem. I wanted to make sure that you got notification of both the entry I accepted without any changes and the one I modified. I was concerned you might not receive the latter, but neither is bad, and that might explain why some people are not coming back to leave feedback on the entries they have made.

I've taken out a support ticket on the item.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:02
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Checking Apr 2, 2009

Thanks Nikki and Parrot, I will check this out and see what's happening.

Best regards,

Jared

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nikki, Jared... Apr 3, 2009

I got the notification for The Chicago Manual of Style today.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Apr 3, 2009

Detection of duplicate entries by ISBN. (I just found out one of my entries had been entered - the Dietl/Lorenz).

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Superb resource: auto-notify would make it even better! May 2, 2009

Hi D&R Team,

Fabulous resource -- there are so many good -- and not-so-good -- dictionaries out there that something like this really helps sort the wheat from the chaff (one can't really go on Amazon feedback...).

One thing, though: it would be neat if one could register some language pairs and be notified when new works appear (or of course, old works -- you know what I mean) are added that match these pairs.

Otherwise I don't really see how one can check
... See more
Hi D&R Team,

Fabulous resource -- there are so many good -- and not-so-good -- dictionaries out there that something like this really helps sort the wheat from the chaff (one can't really go on Amazon feedback...).

One thing, though: it would be neat if one could register some language pairs and be notified when new works appear (or of course, old works -- you know what I mean) are added that match these pairs.

Otherwise I don't really see how one can check the listings effectively to see if there are any interesting new items.

Or have I missed something?

Cheers,

Ed

[Edited at 2009-05-02 20:47 GMT]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Friendly remarks from a late-comer May 5, 2009

Great initiative!!

What I immediately would like to have is:

1. A column with either a B (for books) or CD (for CDs/DVDs)
2. A Column AL (Author's Language) using the 3 digit ISO language code (ENG,DEU,SPA,FRA)
3. A column CL (Central Language). Example: Ernst Technical dictionaries would carry a DEU
for its DEU-ENG, DEU-FRA and DEU-SPA versions.
Norstedts (not yet entered?) would carry a SWE.

all columns being able to be cho
... See more
Great initiative!!

What I immediately would like to have is:

1. A column with either a B (for books) or CD (for CDs/DVDs)
2. A Column AL (Author's Language) using the 3 digit ISO language code (ENG,DEU,SPA,FRA)
3. A column CL (Central Language). Example: Ernst Technical dictionaries would carry a DEU
for its DEU-ENG, DEU-FRA and DEU-SPA versions.
Norstedts (not yet entered?) would carry a SWE.

all columns being able to be chosen for sorting order (like in IE, Outlook, Thusnerbird etc.

Best

Mats

[Edited at 2009-05-05 16:55 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Public Notes button and Search Problem and Layout May 8, 2009

What is the Public Notes button for? I clicked on it out of interest, and it did nothing.

There is also a search problem. When you click on "D", for example, it takes you to the list of resources starting with D. All well and good. Then when you click on "Next", it takes you to the second page of the list of resources (starting with C). Exactly the same thing happens if, for example, I search for building/construction resources in the advanced search. The first page (o
... See more
What is the Public Notes button for? I clicked on it out of interest, and it did nothing.

There is also a search problem. When you click on "D", for example, it takes you to the list of resources starting with D. All well and good. Then when you click on "Next", it takes you to the second page of the list of resources (starting with C). Exactly the same thing happens if, for example, I search for building/construction resources in the advanced search. The first page (of apparently two in total) is fine, but when I click on next I get the second page of the general resources list again.

Layout:

I feel that a lot of space is wasted on the search pages. Why not put "Discuss this feature" somewhere else and expand the columns with the search information? That might make it possible to include some of Mats' ideas (although I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, Mats, which could, of course, just be me being ignorant). If we use the code Mats is talking about (in other words ENG instead of English, DEU instead of German, etc.), we can shorten the length of some of the entries with multiple languages, which at the moment, IMHO, look unsightly and take up far too much space on the search pages (take a look at page 5 of the general search for an example of what I mean).

Thank you,

Nikki
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 03:02
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
One two and three May 8, 2009

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions, Edward, Mats and Nikki.

Nikki, the public note option is available to the D & R board team (check the manual). You're correct that it is not doing what it is supposed to do at the moment, which is allow team members to leave a note above the record which may provide further relevant information for a record, which may not necessarily have a place within the record itself (links to related records, etc). I've asked a developer to fix
... See more
Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions, Edward, Mats and Nikki.

Nikki, the public note option is available to the D & R board team (check the manual). You're correct that it is not doing what it is supposed to do at the moment, which is allow team members to leave a note above the record which may provide further relevant information for a record, which may not necessarily have a place within the record itself (links to related records, etc). I've asked a developer to fix this.

Thanks for catching the paging problem with the search results, I will also ask developers to have a look there.

On the layout, this is used throughout most of the site. The "Discuss" link is in the left navigation column, below the other options for the board. The records column may be expanded somewhat, but I am not sure and will need to check that first. Shortening certain items in the search list (ENG instead of English, etc. as suggested) should help too-- I see some cases, as you mention, of language pairs occupying a lot of space and leaving blank space in the other sections of the list for those records.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
Russian to English
+ ...
search function problem Nov 7, 2009

I did an "advanced search" for Russian-English > Psychology. The results were dictionaries in every imaginable language and subject, none of which (in the first two pages) were on either Russian-English or Psychology. There were Arabic, Bulgarian, lots of Spanish, and French dictionaries, of a general nature or a specific topic (none on psychology).

This does not appear to be of any use.

Susan

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Worked for me Nov 7, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

I did an "advanced search" for Russian-English > Psychology. The results were dictionaries in every imaginable language and subject, none of which (in the first two pages) were on either Russian-English or Psychology. There were Arabic, Bulgarian, lots of Spanish, and French dictionaries, of a general nature or a specific topic (none on psychology).

Susan

I just tried the same search, first for only Russian-English dictionaries (two results) and then adding Psychology as the field, with "No resources found" as the result.

Maybe you should submit a support request?

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Think I know what has happened Nov 7, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

Susan

When you finished setting the language pair and the specific field, you probably then hit the basic search button which takes you back to the first page of all the dictionaries in the D&R Board. If you had clicked on the search button at the top you would have got the results Cindy mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Nikki

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Two resources so far for Russian to English language pair Nov 7, 2009

Hello Susan,

I conducted an advanced search for Russian to English language pair in the 'Psychology' field and, as Cindy and Nikki state, no results were found since there are two works of reference for this pair ("Collins Russian dictionary" and "A Supplementary Russian-English Dictionary") but none of these are in the 'Psychology' field.

Also, remember that it is the "Search" button" (and not the 'Advanced search' link) that will activate the search, even in advanced
... See more
Hello Susan,

I conducted an advanced search for Russian to English language pair in the 'Psychology' field and, as Cindy and Nikki state, no results were found since there are two works of reference for this pair ("Collins Russian dictionary" and "A Supplementary Russian-English Dictionary") but none of these are in the 'Psychology' field.

Also, remember that it is the "Search" button" (and not the 'Advanced search' link) that will activate the search, even in advanced mode.

You are all invited to add a new resource to the Dictionary and reference board for Russian to English language pair in the Psychology field, or any other resource, here.

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:02
Russian to English
+ ...
@Cindy, Nikki, Lucia Nov 12, 2009

Thanks! I didn't see your replies until now, by chance (I forgot to tag the forum for tracking). I will try your suggestions.

Susan

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Need last resources posted section in Admin Oct 27, 2010

Hi Jared et al,

It would be great if we could have a section on the Admin page showing the last ten or so resources posted and who posted them please. I have just approved an entry, but need to view it to see if it's OK and to add a photo, but I don't know how else to access it other than trawling through the long list of resources again or typing in the name.

Thanks.

I think there were a number of good suggestions in this thread which haven't been implemen
... See more
Hi Jared et al,

It would be great if we could have a section on the Admin page showing the last ten or so resources posted and who posted them please. I have just approved an entry, but need to view it to see if it's OK and to add a photo, but I don't know how else to access it other than trawling through the long list of resources again or typing in the name.

Thanks.

I think there were a number of good suggestions in this thread which haven't been implemented yet. Any idea when next time can be spent on improving the D&R Board?

Nikki

[Edited at 2010-10-27 18:05 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing the ProZ.com dictionary and reference board

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »