Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 24, 2018

Hello

As I understand it, GDPR disallows ProZ.com from telling us the IP addresses (and similarly gathered information) of visitors to our profile pages, unless the visitors have actually consented to that.

For this reason, I suggest that we be given the option to enable a feature on our profile pages that will present visitors with a popup (similar to the "this site uses cookies, do you agree" types of popups that appear at the bottom edge of the screen) asking them fo
... See more
Hello

As I understand it, GDPR disallows ProZ.com from telling us the IP addresses (and similarly gathered information) of visitors to our profile pages, unless the visitors have actually consented to that.

For this reason, I suggest that we be given the option to enable a feature on our profile pages that will present visitors with a popup (similar to the "this site uses cookies, do you agree" types of popups that appear at the bottom edge of the screen) asking them for permission to be tracked.

I think people are so used to clicking "I accept" to these pesky, useless cookie pop-ups that most visitors will click "I accept" to GDPR popups as well.

The popup should be so unobtrusive that the visitor could still use the web page if he ignores the popup. The wording needn't be complex, and it wouldn't require a checkbox or a series of checkboxes. The popup should be set up to comply with GDPR but so that most users would be likely to consent without further thought.

This will allow us who want to see visitors' IP addresses to still see them. Members who do not want to bother visitors with the popup, should be able to disable it (or not enable it, if it is disabled by default).

Samuel
Collapse

Jessica Noyes

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:51
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do you think that will help... May 24, 2018

...against hackers?

I have one specific visitor to my profile that has showed up 64 times this month. This is not usual, I am sure. I would really like to find ways to contact him or her, and ask why so many visits and not a single contact.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
That would help, IMHO May 24, 2018

Hello Samuel,

I like your proposal and hope it can be implemented under GDPR.

Paulinho, 64 times? Are you sure is no crawler? Either that or a stalker

Giuliana

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why? May 24, 2018

How does it help to know who visits your profile? If they want to give you work they'll get in touch, that's the whole point surely?

Stealth permission via a GDPR popup defeats the objects of GDPR!

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Stealth permission? May 24, 2018

How can you call it stealth if you see it?

The biggest problem in the Net has always been anonymity, that someone you don't know where from comes and does something, not the opposite.

The "right to be forgotten" doesn't imply that I can do what I want irrespective of what the other wants. Why would I want to be contacted by someone, who wants to be forgotten?! GDPR goes two ways.

Paulinho Fonseca
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
64 + 20 (using another IP) May 24, 2018

@Giuliana Buscaglione,

they have been using a second IP address for more 20 visits. I understand that some rules are created to protect and for house keeping, but hackers will never click a button to accept cookies or leave a track.

XD

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
crawler, no hacker... May 24, 2018

crawlers will also be used "institutionally" in order to find out if websites adhere to GDPR, go figure and search engines use them, legit and bound to specific rules.

Hacking is another department

Giuliana

Lian Pang
Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I can't see visitor's IP anymore May 24, 2018

I went to check my visitors' log. Now instead of visitor's IP, I can only see the "viewer ID" .

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It helped May 24, 2018

Chris S wrote:

How does it help to know who visits your profile? If they want to give you work they'll get in touch, that's the whole point surely?

Hi Chris,

It helped extremely many times:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/325574-is_this_for_real_no_ips_are_shown_any_more_but_codes.html#2729939

Bests,
Katalin

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sometimes they are linked May 24, 2018

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

crawlers will also be used "institutionally" in order to find out if websites adhere to GDPR, go figure and search engines use them, legit and bound to specific rules.

Hacking is another department

Giuliana

Hi Giuliana,

Crawlers may be the first sign that something is not right... See the thread link in my previous post.

Bests,
Katalin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies May 24, 2018

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:
Do you think that will help against hackers?

No.

ProZ.com keeps track of all IP addresses anyway, because they are allowed to do so for the purpose of running the site, so no anti-hacking functionality would be affected by the presence of absence of such a pop-up either.

I understand that some users might think that they can ward against scammers by checking IP addresses, but I don't think that that is a very reliable usage. Few scammers use the same IP addresses over and over, and VPN technology is very affordable these days.

My suggestion has nothing to do with preventing hackers and scammers. Besides, any visitor with ill intend isn't going to click "I agree" anyway.

Chris S wrote:

Some people like to know where most of their visitors come from. It can e.g. help to determine which forms of marketing are worth spending money on.

I don't really care about the objects of the GDPR. The GDPR is stupid, stupid, stupid. However, one must comply with it. I'm not calling specifically for "stealth" permission, but I know a bit about web user behaviour. (-:

[Edited at 2018-05-24 11:27 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Odd May 24, 2018

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Chris S wrote:

Hi Chris,
https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_profile_help/325574-is_this_for_real_no_ips_are_shown_any_more_but_codes.html#2729939

Why is it that scammers always seem to target the most security-conscious members of any community, whereas the majority who don't give a toss don't ever have any problems?

Katalin Szilárd
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"Majority" May 24, 2018

Chris S wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:
Chris S wrote:

Hi Chris,

Why is it that scammers always seem to target the most security-conscious members of any community, whereas the majority who don't give a toss don't ever have any problems?

Chris, please read members' posts on here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/946

I don't think it's a question whether somebody is security-conscious or not.
You wrote: "majority". Hmmm... Check out how many people alerted others...

Paulinho Fonseca
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
'Some people like to know where most of their visitors come from.' May 24, 2018

@Samuel, what you said above is basically what I look at every single day. I like to know where my visitors come from or are, even if that does not prevent some with hacking purposes.

Best.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Paulinho Fonseca wrote:
Do you think that will help against hackers?

No.

ProZ.com keeps track of all IP addresses anyway, because they are allowed to do so for the purpose of running the site, so no anti-hacking functionality would be affected by the presence of absence of such a pop-up either.

I understand that some users might think that they can ward against scammers by checking IP addresses, but I don't think that that is a very reliable usage. Few scammers use the same IP addresses over and over, and VPN technology is very affordable these days.

My suggestion has nothing to do with preventing hackers and scammers. Besides, any visitor with ill intend isn't going to click "I agree" anyway.

Chris S wrote:

Some people like to know where most of their visitors come from. It can e.g. help to determine which forms of marketing are worth spending money on.

I don't really care about the objects of the GDPR. The GDPR is stupid, stupid, stupid. However, one must comply with it. I'm not calling specifically for "stealth" permission, but I know a bit about web user behaviour. (-:

[Edited at 2018-05-24 11:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add option to present GDPR popup to profile visitors

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »