Why are no in-person conferences being held?
Thread poster: Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2017

As far as I can see from the conferences page, no in-person conferences at all - regional or international - have been held this year. In 2016, there was an international one and three regional ones. Back in 2015, there were no fewer than nine regional conferences as well as the international one. Mind you, looking through the list is a real headache nowadays as there are so many "virtual conferences" mixed in with the "real" ones.

Is that it for in-person events? Have they been rep
... See more
As far as I can see from the conferences page, no in-person conferences at all - regional or international - have been held this year. In 2016, there was an international one and three regional ones. Back in 2015, there were no fewer than nine regional conferences as well as the international one. Mind you, looking through the list is a real headache nowadays as there are so many "virtual conferences" mixed in with the "real" ones.

Is that it for in-person events? Have they been replaced by these virtual ones?
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Voluntaries are needed! Dec 17, 2017

As far as I know, most of the conferences are organized by voluntary Proz.com members. Perhaps there were no voluntaries in 2017. It's a lot of job organizing them, but if you offer as voluntary to organize one, I'm pretty sure that Proz.com will support with everything that might be needed for a successful event.

Regards,

Clarisa

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope someone will do something Dec 18, 2017

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
As far as I know, most of the conferences are organized by voluntary Proz.com members. Perhaps there were no voluntaries in 2017. It's a lot of job organizing them, but if you offer as voluntary to organize one, I'm pretty sure that Proz.com will support with everything that might be needed for a successful event.

I'm sure it is a lot of work, Clarisa, and certainly not a job for me, but I hope the site is doing everything possible to incentivise (what a horrid verb that is) potential organisers. I see the in-person aspect of the site as being very important because freelancers in our line of business lead such isolated lives, professionally speaking.

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:35
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
There are other opportunities... Dec 20, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I see the in-person aspect of the site as being very important because freelancers in our line of business lead such isolated lives, professionally speaking.

I totally agree with you Sheila, that is why back in 2016 I took part in one regional and one international ProZ conferences. This year I have waited in vain for an international ProZ conference, so I decided to join BP conference next year in Austria. There are also other conferences organized by national translators' associations and international bodies, such as SlatorCon.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Well...... Dec 20, 2017

Naturally I can't answer officially. But afaik (please correct me if I'm wrong), the annual in-person conferences were funded by Proz. People did pay to attend and there were also volunteers and volunteer guest speakers. I noticed that attendance was really low for the last conference or two. Perhaps Proz decided to cut their losses. Imo not enough people attended for them to break even.
Proz is now so incredibly global that it must be hard to know where to hold such conferences. Perhaps
... See more
Naturally I can't answer officially. But afaik (please correct me if I'm wrong), the annual in-person conferences were funded by Proz. People did pay to attend and there were also volunteers and volunteer guest speakers. I noticed that attendance was really low for the last conference or two. Perhaps Proz decided to cut their losses. Imo not enough people attended for them to break even.
Proz is now so incredibly global that it must be hard to know where to hold such conferences. Perhaps everything is becoming virtual so a maximum number of people from around the world can participate.
I never went to an in-person conference but I did attend a couple of powwows and even hosted one once. They were pleasant and fun and one got to meet some of the real people behind the 'names'. That was way back when (around 2003/2004). I have noticed that Powwow attendance is also relatively low and there are far fewer Powwows being held. Imo, there is also much less of a community feel to Proz now. Times, they are a-changin?

[Edited at 2017-12-20 15:57 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worrying trends Dec 20, 2017

Oksana Weiss wrote:
back in 2016 I took part in one regional and one international ProZ conferences. This year I have waited in vain for an international ProZ conference, so I decided to join BP conference next year in Austria. There are also other conferences organized by national translators' associations and international bodies, such as SlatorCon.

It's a shame if we have to go elsewhere for something we used to find right here. The BP one is interesting in its content, so I'll think about going there too - thanks for the reminder. "SlatorCon"? However could they give it such a terrible name ! But it doesn't look as though it's for freelance translators anyway. The few directory entries are all big-name companies and the jobs section contains salaried jobs apart from one call for a freelance. That one is labelled "work from home", an expression I personally am particularly allergic to .

writeaway wrote:
Proz is now so incredibly global that it must be hard to know where to hold such conferences. Perhaps everything is becoming virtual so a maximum number of people from around the world can participate.

Well, it ought really to make it easier, surely? I personally always combine work with pleasure, taking some time off for a holiday locally with my husband, so I'd certainly consider attending a conference a long way from home. I find the virtual conferences an unsatisfying experience. I always intend to sit in on at least some of the sessions but almost always get distracted. Being at my desk makes the whole thing impossible. Anyway, there's an awful lot that can be got out of an in-person conference that you're never going to get from a virtual one.

Imo, there is also much less of a community feel to Proz now. Times, they are a-changin?

Sadly, I think there may be something in that .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are no in-person conferences being held?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »