Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: Would you be willing to work on a project that contributes to development of AI translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:26
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I voted yes Mar 4

Only from the inside you can steer things in the right direction. AI has happened and it's not going away.

patransword
Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Over my dead body Mar 4

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Only from the inside you can steer things in the right direction. AI has happened and it's not going away.

How do you think we could steer AI in the right direction? (Apart from directing it off a cliff.)

Liena Vijupe
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Alex Lichanow
Christine Andersen
Tanja Oresnik
Baran Keki
Elaine Ruby

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Actually... Mar 4

I misread the question...I thought it said to contribute to the development of AI translation in general, participating to research, not through a project. Silly me!

Christopher Schröder wrote:
How do you think we could steer AI in the right direction? (Apart from directing it off a cliff.)

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 16:26
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Off a cliff Mar 4

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Off a cliff is the only right direction for AI translation, and that's exactly where the less competent, qualified and conscientious individuals mentioned in a different reply are currently steering it. Oh, and it's also steering itself in that direction, seeing how its LLMs are being trained on the hilariously bad data it steals from the wide open internet and word-salad pages like "translated" Amazon product pages. Maybe we can still sit it out at this point.

[Edited at 2024-03-04 12:34 GMT]

Liena Vijupe
Christopher Schröder
Elaine Ruby
P.L.F. Persio

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Digging, cutting, shooting... Mar 4

Even though I almost snapped at our colleague Lefteris Kritikakis when he was patronizing me (us) on the state and understanding of our market and its financials, there is one thing I would agree on without a doubt.

If you are translating texts meant to be published as public domain, which nowadays means digitized and open for the entire galaxy by default, be it scientific magazines, fashion, tourism, technical manual
... See more
Even though I almost snapped at our colleague Lefteris Kritikakis when he was patronizing me (us) on the state and understanding of our market and its financials, there is one thing I would agree on without a doubt.

If you are translating texts meant to be published as public domain, which nowadays means digitized and open for the entire galaxy by default, be it scientific magazines, fashion, tourism, technical manuals, whatever, then you are contributing on a daily basis and the better you are, the more "dangerous" your contribution is. AI is not called "artificial" for nothing - it feeds exclusively on the real one.

It's a trap no matter how you slice it.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio
Daryo

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Mar 4

Alex Lichanow wrote:

Off a cliff is the only right direction for AI translation, and that's exactly where the less competent, qualified and conscientious individuals mentioned in a different reply are currently steering it. Oh, and it's also steering itself in that direction, seeing how its LLMs are being trained on the hilariously bad data it steals from the wide open internet and word-salad pages like "translated" Amazon product pages. Maybe we can still sit it out at this point.

[Edited at 2024-03-04 12:34 GMT]

I agree and this is where we could steer it in the right direction with our input. But I know it's Utopia... I'm not that stupid...

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Another idiom for everyone to enjoy Mar 4

AI has happened and it's not going away.

Correct. Trying to fight it is very much pissing in the wind.

Baran Keki
expressisverbis
neilmac
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No. Mar 4

"Would you be willing to work on a project that contributes to development of AI translation?"

No.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Pissing Mar 4

Charlie Bavington wrote:

AI has happened and it's not going away.

Correct. Trying to fight it is very much pissing in the wind.

Pissing in the wind is OK so long as you have your back to the wind.

Liena Vijupe
Alex Lichanow
patransword
Philip Lees
P.L.F. Persio

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 17:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Developing AI to make it qualitatively better and work more people out of their jobs? Mar 4

I don't believe it's possible. Work is needed to help people understand the limitations of it and sober up a bit from the illusion of an all-powerful super-creative, almost-conscious superhero who can do any job for us. Or will be able to do so sustainably in the near future while consuming nothing but clean energy. I don't do any projects that help improve AI, one reason (among many) being that it won't learn anything from my translations: I have TM results that are optimised for certain repeti... See more
I don't believe it's possible. Work is needed to help people understand the limitations of it and sober up a bit from the illusion of an all-powerful super-creative, almost-conscious superhero who can do any job for us. Or will be able to do so sustainably in the near future while consuming nothing but clean energy. I don't do any projects that help improve AI, one reason (among many) being that it won't learn anything from my translations: I have TM results that are optimised for certain repetitive (while by no means easy) tasks so I can now process such tasks with great speed without needing AI assistance, and whenever I tackle a project that needs no-nonsense translation effort, whatever the ways I may choose to tackle it, AI won't learn anything from my decisions to be able to apply them "creatively" to other contexts. So, developing the use of AI in translation is about delineating its domains. You have a bulls**t text and near-zero requirements for quality? Feed it to AI (rather than to a human working to a comparable quality standard). You want an advanced text translated well to create understanding between people of different linguistic backgrounds? Don't cut corners, AI won't help you. Find someone who knows how to do it. Somehow, I've never produced translations like the ones I see coming from machines. Never, not even as a beginnerCollapse

P.L.F. Persio

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
True Mar 4

Tom in London wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

...pissing in the wind.

Pissing in the wind is OK so long as you have your back to the wind.

Indeed
It is one of those expressions that doesn't make much sense (like "cheap at half the price", although perhaps not quite as bad as that one). And pissing INTO the wind is worse than merely futile, although I've heard that variant.

Nonetheless, the point is, I think, that the AI genie is out of the bottle and we ain't never gonna stuff it back in.

Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Referencing a post which has been removed as per site rules
Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Going out on a limb Mar 4

In five years most translations will be done by AI.

writeaway
IrinaN
Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
But Mar 4

Michele Fauble wrote:
In five years most translations will be done by AI.

None of mine will.

writeaway
Alex Lichanow
neilmac
IrinaN
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you be willing to work on a project that contributes to development of AI translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »