OmegaT: Need added (extra) segments in the target... Is it possible at all?
Thread poster: pepr
pepr
pepr
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:08
May 6, 2013

Summary: The goal is to improve the old HTML doc translation -- synchronization with the updated original. No CAT tool was used earlier. The target includes extra segments (paragraphs, sentences, notes) that are not in the original source. Can OmegaT (plus possibly the other related tools like Okapi) help with that situation? Being very new here and to OmegaT, feel free to point be to better forums or sources of the information.

... See more
Summary: The goal is to improve the old HTML doc translation -- synchronization with the updated original. No CAT tool was used earlier. The target includes extra segments (paragraphs, sentences, notes) that are not in the original source. Can OmegaT (plus possibly the other related tools like Okapi) help with that situation? Being very new here and to OmegaT, feel free to point be to better forums or sources of the information.

My earlier experience: I have translated the older version of the HTML tutorial (http://www.alan-g.me.uk/tutor/index.htm to http://jaksenaucitprogramovat.py.cz/ to be concrete) as a volunteer task, coordinated with the author. No CAT tool was used at the time, a plain-text editor only.

To compare with another experience... A bit later, I was hired to translate the http://getpython3.com/diveintopython3/ (also the HTML form) using MemoQ (supplied by the agency). This was the one-to-one translation (no extra sentences). The customer wanted a PDF form that was later used as a source for a typesetting program to produce the paper form. I have also postprocessed the MemoQ generated result (manually/tailored scripts) to fix/improve the generated HTML. (You can see the result here http://diveintopython3.py.cz/index.html -- there also is the GitHub repository for the original and for the target that includes the scripts).

The second experience was my first one with the CAT tool (MemoQ) -- learning the basics. I found the CAT tools usefull.

I would like to use OmegaT for the volunteer project, but I was not able to find if it is suitable for solving the specific problem...

Details of the new task: As the summary above says, I have both older version of the source and the target HTML tutorial that slightly differ in structure. They differ in visible content because the target contains the translator notes.

I tried the Okapi's Rainbow tool to create the translation memory. However, as the files differ in structure, I am not sure if it is possible to build the translation memory from the sources/targets at all. Can I explicitly (manually) synchronize the source/target to build the translation memory?

Is OmegaT capable of the translation task when the target must contains some extra text blocks? In other words, can I mark some extra blocks as to be ignored by the tool with respect to the original source? (I would like to start probably with OmegaT 3 beta as I would like to take advantage of the new features, and I have no deadline for the translation.)

My expectation for future is to build the translation memory for the older version, replace the old source by the new source, and update the target to reflect the updated source. Does it sound reasonable?

If this is not the correct forum for the problem, please point me to the right direction.

Have a nice day,
Petr
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
LF Aligner for creating TMX May 6, 2013

pepr wrote:
I tried the Okapi's Rainbow tool to create the translation memory.
Petr

Ahoj Petře,

I tried LF Aligener. It shall ask some manual alignment

Milan

[Upraveno: 2013-05-06 18:00 GMT]

pepr
pepr
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
Is the LF Aligner the best you know? May 9, 2013

Díky Milane,

Milan wrote:

I have tried the LF Aligner, but the differences between the source and the target are bigger than expected. The graphical editor of the LF Aligner seems to be clumsy when working with longer and more different texts. Also, the tool left spaces where the tags were (e.g. in front of punctuation characters).

Do you know any alternative and better tool?

Otherwise, I think about using the hunalign (the core of the LF Aligner) with Python scripts tailored for my sources. (I am a programmer.)

Anyway, thanks again,

Petr

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
PlusTools in MS Word May 11, 2013

pepr wrote:

I tested aprox. ten different free tools for sentence alignment.

For manual fine alignment I use PlusTools:

http://www.condak.net/tools/plustools/cs/00.html (19.6.2010)

http://www.condak.net/tools/align_pdf/cs/00.html (17.12.2009)

http://www.condak.net/tools/align/en/00.html (6.2.2006)

Milan

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
GUI editor May 31, 2013

pepr wrote:

Díky Milane,

Milan wrote:

I have tried the LF Aligner, but the differences between the source and the target are bigger than expected. The graphical editor of the LF Aligner seems to be clumsy when working with longer and more different texts. Also, the tool left spaces where the tags were (e.g. in front of punctuation characters).

Otherwise, I think about using the hunalign (the core of the LF Aligner) with Python scripts tailored for my sources. (I am a programmer.)

Unfortunately you're unlikely to find a better open source tool... it's a poor field. Maybe PlusTools, but I'm not too fond of it. Bitext2tmx has an editing GUI as well, but it's quite poor IMO.

What is it that you don't like about LF Aligner's editor? I tried to make it as convenient to use as possible and I feel like 4.04 came out pretty decent (for a hobby programmer's first effort in something like this). You can freely adjust column widths, fonts and the background, and I've added quite a few keyboard shortcuts for often used features. Definitely have a look at the readme if you haven't yet. IME F6 is often a major time saver, as is Shift-F1. Edit/Realign all below active row can also be very useful if your input files are drastically different, and I don't think you'll find another free aligner with a feature like this.
Moving around in cells with the mouse is pretty crappy because of some bug in the GUI toolkit I used, but I think I managed to cobble together some decent keyboard shortcuts for that as well.
It does slow down if you have 5000+ or 10000+ rows but there are workarounds for that (splitting the file or concentrating on using operations that don't shift entire columns).

If your files have some specific characteristic, writing your own python scripts to preprocess/postprocess them can help a lot of course... but if the files are just generally crap, you'll need an editing GUI to fix them.

[Edited at 2013-05-31 18:11 GMT]

pepr
pepr
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
On LF Aligner editor... Jun 3, 2013

Hi András,

Petr wrote:
The graphical editor of the LF Aligner seems to be clumsy when working with longer and more different texts

FarkasAndras wrote:
Moving around in cells with the mouse is pretty crappy because of some bug in the GUI toolkit I used...

Yes, this was the clumsy that I had in my mind. The reason is that the allignment did not work ideally -- not because of the tool, but because the translation contains larger inserted blocks (the translator notes). And definitely also because my lack of experience with all of that.

I would like to start with a project that requires using more tools together in my specific situation (the way the sources/targets look like). I do expect to have to solve some problems until the things fit together. I even do not know whether the chosen tools alows me to do what I want. No offence.

I am willing to help actively to make things better -- when I find free time to do so. If this is a good place to continue in discussion on LF Aligner, we can continue. Otherwise, suggest a better place or I can use the e-mail mentioned in the readme.

Regards,
Petr

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LF Aligner discussion Jun 4, 2013

To clarify: the mouse navigation bug I mentioned is one where sometimes, you click inside a segment and the mouse cursor is not placed where you click (it usually ends up a couple of words to the right). The bug is not in my code; it's in TableMatrix or Perl/Tk or whatever else. I'll try and look into it but I probably won't be able to fix it.

The best place for detailed discussions o
... See more
To clarify: the mouse navigation bug I mentioned is one where sometimes, you click inside a segment and the mouse cursor is not placed where you click (it usually ends up a couple of words to the right). The bug is not in my code; it's in TableMatrix or Perl/Tk or whatever else. I'll try and look into it but I probably won't be able to fix it.

The best place for detailed discussions of LF Aligner is the forum on sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/p/aligner/discussion/?source=navbar
This is for things that might be of interest to other users. If you don't want somehting to be publicly available or you think it's of no interest to anyone else, you can email me of course.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

OmegaT: Need added (extra) segments in the target... Is it possible at all?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »