Any suggestions for marketing freelance translation?
Thread poster: Stacey Wilcox (X)
Stacey Wilcox (X)
Stacey Wilcox (X)
Local time: 20:20
Spanish to English
Nov 2, 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm new to translating and currently working on a website to advertise my freelance translating services. Does anyone have any further suggestions on marketing and what they found was more successful in attracting work? Any help with this would be much appreciated,
Thanks

Stacey

Quality counts! Nov 2, 2005

Answer to your question is simple and straightforward.
Just do good job and satisfy your clients (in case you are doing the job through agencies, then your goal is your client's clients).
As long as you stay with ProZ and keep applying job posting, eventually you get it (not instantly, not very easily, but you will). Then give the best shot.
Those agencies have plenty of suppy of translators and competition is stiff -- so you must stand out above the crowd. Horn your skill alw
... See more
Answer to your question is simple and straightforward.
Just do good job and satisfy your clients (in case you are doing the job through agencies, then your goal is your client's clients).
As long as you stay with ProZ and keep applying job posting, eventually you get it (not instantly, not very easily, but you will). Then give the best shot.
Those agencies have plenty of suppy of translators and competition is stiff -- so you must stand out above the crowd. Horn your skill always, be knowledgeable.
You may put out expensive web site, and your job does not meet, nobody will give a damn about your website.
In essense, QUALITY COUNTS!

[Edited at 2005-11-02 23:06]
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
You are your own best advertisement! Nov 2, 2005

Your work that is. Just like Humbird said: Quality counts.

Keep delivering superior work, meeting your deadlines and the rest will fall nicely into place. You WILL get busier and busier and even be able to turn down jobs.

I cannot tell you too much about the website as I do not have one myself. Other Prozians knowledgeable in this area will be able to better assist you with that.

Although, I must say: It takes a bit of time, so don't get discouraged. I
... See more
Your work that is. Just like Humbird said: Quality counts.

Keep delivering superior work, meeting your deadlines and the rest will fall nicely into place. You WILL get busier and busier and even be able to turn down jobs.

I cannot tell you too much about the website as I do not have one myself. Other Prozians knowledgeable in this area will be able to better assist you with that.

Although, I must say: It takes a bit of time, so don't get discouraged. It will happen; you'll see.

Good luck!
Lucinda
Collapse

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Article Knowledgebase Nov 2, 2005

There are several articles on this subject in the Article Knowledgebase, which you may find useful.

[Edited at 2005-11-02 23:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any suggestions for marketing freelance translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »