Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:43
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2012

I was wondering how useful it is to have a profile on other sites such as Translator's Cafe, how such sites compare to Proz, and if there are actually a lot of different jobs available, or if the job opportunities are just the same ones that come through Proz. For example, will I increase my chances of finding more work and more clients by joining Translator's Cafe.

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Agencies seem to like that site Dec 13, 2012

I think you will increase your chances of being contacted directly by clients if you join that site. I met lots of my clients after they contacted me through my profile there.

Lara Barnett
Lara Barnett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Comment from Питер Dec 13, 2012

But where they different clients than those on PRoz?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My own personal viewpoint Dec 13, 2012

I'm a registered user of TC and I get notifications of all suitable jobs. I occasionally apply, though I don't believe I've ever had any success, perhaps due in part to not being a paying member. But I'm not prepared to pay as very few of the jobs interest me. Even if rates aren't mentioned in the posting, almost all the jobs originate from India, China etc. and I've stopped bothering replying to those. That decision is based purely on the liklihood of a successful outcome - I've wasted far too ... See more
I'm a registered user of TC and I get notifications of all suitable jobs. I occasionally apply, though I don't believe I've ever had any success, perhaps due in part to not being a paying member. But I'm not prepared to pay as very few of the jobs interest me. Even if rates aren't mentioned in the posting, almost all the jobs originate from India, China etc. and I've stopped bothering replying to those. That decision is based purely on the liklihood of a successful outcome - I've wasted far too much time in the past bidding twice (or even three times) what they're prepared to pay.

It's interesting that Питер says there's a good chance of client contact, but I haven't had enough good vibes from the site to induce me to make the effort.

I think if I were willing to shell out for a second site, I would choose Traduguide as that one gives off lots of good vibes and the jobs are almost always very interesting, though not very abundant. A lot are posted by end clients so living in the VAT-free Canaries would interest the private individuals, who often want something more interesting than certificates translated.
Collapse

OG Pete
OG Pete  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Yeah, different. Dec 13, 2012

Some of them don't even have profiles on ProZ. Maybe it's a way to avoid the BB? Or maybe people like the cafe theme. I sure like the name.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:43
English to Czech
+ ...
OTOH Dec 13, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Even if rates aren't mentioned in the posting, almost all the jobs originate from India, China etc. and I've stopped bothering replying to those.

On the other hand, TC has a policy of disallowing job posts with rates lower than $0.05 per source word. Such posts are reported to the moderators who delete them ASAP.

[Upraveno: 2012-12-13 18:30 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:43
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
BB and others Dec 13, 2012

I have a profile on TC and Gotranslators, but actually only to round out the BlueBoard when researching a new client. I also subscribe to PaymentPractices.com for that same purpose. I believe I may have received at most 1 job ever through TC and Go, but at various times all have had a turn preventing me from falling into the trap of doing work for a non-paying client, so were worth the subscription from that point of view. IMO, proz.com gives the best all round value for the investment.

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
My take... Dec 14, 2012

I do not have an actual profile there, but I do subscribe to the job listings. Most are not of interest to me, but I gained a wonderful client there a couple of years ago and will continue to visit for this reason.

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have profiles on all websites that seem of interest to me... Dec 14, 2012

... and I see at as the sensible thing to do: if you, like me, rely on the internet to generate revenue which is my only source of income, it makes no sense to limit your options. They are all free of charge profiles (although this year I am paying for Proz membership to see if it improves the business I get through my Proz profile). Apart from here, TC, Gotranslators I also have profiles on Aquarius (believe it or not but I do get the odd assignment through that one), Traduguide (three assignme... See more
... and I see at as the sensible thing to do: if you, like me, rely on the internet to generate revenue which is my only source of income, it makes no sense to limit your options. They are all free of charge profiles (although this year I am paying for Proz membership to see if it improves the business I get through my Proz profile). Apart from here, TC, Gotranslators I also have profiles on Aquarius (believe it or not but I do get the odd assignment through that one), Traduguide (three assignments and counting) and Globtra (currently negotiating a third assignment). I also have profiles under a nickname on Elance, Guru and Freelancer, and since recently also on Zintro to see how that works out.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating profiles on Other translation websites

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »