Ketty Federico  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:58
Member (2011)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2012

Hi everyone,
I know that using MemoQ you can also export memories which can be then displayed and processed using Trados.
My question is: is the file extension the same one as the one exported by Trados (.tmx)?
Is a translator basically able to process a translation in MemoQ without the client even noticing the difference in the result delivered?

No worries, I am not planning to do any of this. I just need this info for technical reasons.

Thanks a lot
... See more
Hi everyone,
I know that using MemoQ you can also export memories which can be then displayed and processed using Trados.
My question is: is the file extension the same one as the one exported by Trados (.tmx)?
Is a translator basically able to process a translation in MemoQ without the client even noticing the difference in the result delivered?

No worries, I am not planning to do any of this. I just need this info for technical reasons.

Thanks a lot

Ketty
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
French to Polish
+ ...
Diffferent TMX implementation... required obfuscation level... Jan 26, 2012

Ketty Federico wrote:

Yep but the content is not exactly the same.
The TMX standard is implemented in different ways in both programs.
I.e. the text will be leveraged but the formatting info etc. may be incomplete or lost.
Just few seconds are enough to see quite well which program generated the TMX even if the header was modified, of sourse some experience is required

Of course.
A smart guy will be able to make it in a perfect way but even the standard CAT hopping may be difficult to detect in a lot of cases.
I.e. the files will be formally 100% OK but it's always some subtle traces an experienced CAT hopper will see or feel.
E.g. it takes more than 10 years I use Déjà Vu for Trados and I would feel another tool was used but a standard PM would be unable to do so.

Oh, do it, do it

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ TMs and Trados TMs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »