Thread poster: Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane  Identity Verified
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Jul 22, 2011

Dear All,

I am translator since 2008 from IT background and now i wanted to learn software localization engineering.

I wanted to upgrade myself as a localization engineer and here in Nepal there is no any institution for learning localization engineering. So, can anyone help me how do i start my learning and also could you please let me know what tools are specifically used for localization engineering?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Prade
... See more
Dear All,

I am translator since 2008 from IT background and now i wanted to learn software localization engineering.

I wanted to upgrade myself as a localization engineer and here in Nepal there is no any institution for learning localization engineering. So, can anyone help me how do i start my learning and also could you please let me know what tools are specifically used for localization engineering?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,
Pradeep Neupane
Collapse

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:28
Japanese to English
Online at the Univ. of Washington Jul 22, 2011

Hi Pradeep,

The University of Washington has online courses that focus on localization engineering throughout the year. However the next one is not until January of 2012!!

See here:
http://www.pce.uw.edu/course.aspx?id=7164

Also, you can easily search their Web site for related information with this link:
http://www.pce.uw.edu/search.aspx?q=Localization%20Engineering

I am very interested in this career path myself, so
... See more
Hi Pradeep,

The University of Washington has online courses that focus on localization engineering throughout the year. However the next one is not until January of 2012!!

See here:
http://www.pce.uw.edu/course.aspx?id=7164

Also, you can easily search their Web site for related information with this link:
http://www.pce.uw.edu/search.aspx?q=Localization%20Engineering

I am very interested in this career path myself, so I will be certain to follow this thread and add any more information I find.

Kind regards,
MGrant
Collapse

Serge AWONO
Serge AWONO  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
University of Washington Extension Jul 22, 2011

The University of Washington offers such a course. It's held both online and onsite. In short; it's a very interesting course as well. I got my certification from there.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Serge

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The University of Washington has online courses that focus on localization engineering throughout th Jul 22, 2011

Thank you MGrant for the links and information.

One thing i want to ask you is that can't we learn this by oneself without attending such course.

Problem is i don't have a fund but want to learn through internet surfing. isn't this possible?

Regards,
Pradeep.

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The University of Washington offers such a course. It's held both online and onsite. In short; it's Jul 22, 2011

Thank you Serge for information.

I am not able to take classes here from Nepal because of different issues.

So, can you please help in out by sending some ebooks or name list of softwares that are used during localization engineering.

Thank you in Advance...

Regards,
Pradeep

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 03:28
Japanese to English
Yes! Free training would be nice! Jul 22, 2011

Pradeep Neupane wrote:

One thing i want to ask you is that can't we learn this by oneself without attending such course.

Absolutely!

The U of W information was just the first info. that I knew of...I will, of course, keep looking for sources of FREE learning/training and update this thread if I find anything useful.

Good luck!
MGrant

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:28
English to French
Books.. and internship Jul 23, 2011

There are some good books on this subject matter (I don't know if I'm allowed to provide references here...). I'm not sure it's enough, so the best thing would probably be to look for an internship in a translation agency (preferably in the U.S.). The problem is that they pay peanuts, but it's easier to get a temporary visa for an internship than a work visa. If you have an IT background, such agencies should be interested!
In my case, working as a software engineer in IT companies sellin
... See more
There are some good books on this subject matter (I don't know if I'm allowed to provide references here...). I'm not sure it's enough, so the best thing would probably be to look for an internship in a translation agency (preferably in the U.S.). The problem is that they pay peanuts, but it's easier to get a temporary visa for an internship than a work visa. If you have an IT background, such agencies should be interested!
In my case, working as a software engineer in IT companies selling their products worldwide has been most instructive to understand the whole process. But there may be other approaches too!
Collapse

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Books... and internship Jul 24, 2011

Thanks Bohy for ideas.

Wondering if any could provide books on localization engineering and tools to be used.

Hope American Embassy of Nepal let go and American translation company provide internship but can't think of that American Embassy of Nepal provides visa for internship.

Regards,
Pradeep

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Software localization resource websites Feb 10, 2012

A website from the University of Saarland (1) offers some education on topics related to various translation professional activities, including software localization. It originally caters for teachers and trainers, but it might interest (budding) LSPs as well I guess - even though I am aware that what matters most here is practice (case studies), not much theory.

2 sections provide information on L10N : "Courses" and "Guidelines".... See more
A website from the University of Saarland (1) offers some education on topics related to various translation professional activities, including software localization. It originally caters for teachers and trainers, but it might interest (budding) LSPs as well I guess - even though I am aware that what matters most here is practice (case studies), not much theory.

2 sections provide information on L10N : "Courses" and "Guidelines".

(1) http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/?L=1

Another website - this one entirely dedicated to internationalization and seemingly fairly advanced - could interest you too: http://www.i18nguy.com/

Good luck!

PS: the last one seems to focus mainly on website localization.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization engineering - suggestions needed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »