Reviewing/resizing boxes in Passolo
Thread poster: Joanna Dlugokecka
Joanna Dlugokecka
Joanna Dlugokecka  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
English to Polish
+ ...
Jul 18, 2011

I just downloaded a demo version of Passolo and created a practice project using .resx files but dont know how to actually see the dialogs/buttons etc. to check whether the translated text is displayed correctly/buttons are the right size etc.

Can someone help? Thanks.

Apologies if my question is silly, I am just starting with localization.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:47
English to Turkish
+ ...
Ctrl+R Jul 18, 2011

Ctrl+R is the shortcut for "Show Resource" command.

HTH,
Selcuk

Joanna Dlugokecka
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still cant see.. Jul 18, 2011

But I still cannot see the UI, I can just see the table..

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Check other folders Jul 18, 2011

Strings under Menu and Dialog folders generally include images, but those under String Table do not have visual elements. Look at the Resource Display, the following message "No displays available for this resource type" means that you are translating a difficult project without visual references.

Selcuk

Joanna Dlugokecka
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
next step? Jul 19, 2011

Indeed, there is no display available. So how am I supposed to check everything will be displayed correctly and without any truncations? Thank you.

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
Local time: 16:47
English to German
Please check version, SP and .NET Framework Jul 19, 2011

Hello Joanna25,

which version of SDL Passolo are you using? For SDL Passolo 2009 and older version the .NET Framework 2.0 must be installed on your system. For SDL Passolo 2011 the .NET Framework version 4.0 (Extended Profile) must be installed on your system. It's very imported to check the existence of the Extended Profile as it contains components that are needed to visualize dialogs.

In addition you can check the SDL
... See more
Hello Joanna25,

which version of SDL Passolo are you using? For SDL Passolo 2009 and older version the .NET Framework 2.0 must be installed on your system. For SDL Passolo 2011 the .NET Framework version 4.0 (Extended Profile) must be installed on your system. It's very imported to check the existence of the Extended Profile as it contains components that are needed to visualize dialogs.

In addition you can check the SDL website at http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/products/software-localization/downloads/ or http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/products/software-localization/downloads/upgrades/ and download the latest SP of your SDL Passolo version you are working with.

Hope this helps.

Achim Herrmann
SDL Passolo Business Consultant

[Bearbeitet am 2011-07-19 11:59 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
It is the engineer's work Jul 19, 2011

The engineer will check the layout and mnemonics. Such QA checks are carried on various operating systems (e.g. XP, Vista, 7) and for different screen resolutions.

Joanna Dlugokecka
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Achim Jul 19, 2011

I am just trying out a demo version, is this why it is not working? Thank you.

Xenoglossy
Xenoglossy
English to Spanish
+ ...
... Jul 20, 2011

Resx files are just simple text files, that is why you cannot see boxes/dialogs etc. You need the compiled software pack in order to see or modify boxes.

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
Can you check the content of the RESX files Jul 20, 2011

Hello Joanna,

Have you checked the pre-requisites and that the correct .NET Framework is installed? The demo version is able to correctly display the dialog.

Please open the resx file in the text editor. A resx file may contain String Table resources that will look like:
<data name="ID_SHOWALL" xml:space="preserve">
<value>Show All</value>
</data>
<data name="ID_ERROROPEN" xml:space="preserve">
<valu
... See more
Hello Joanna,

Have you checked the pre-requisites and that the correct .NET Framework is installed? The demo version is able to correctly display the dialog.

Please open the resx file in the text editor. A resx file may contain String Table resources that will look like:
<data name="ID_SHOWALL" xml:space="preserve">
<value>Show All</value>
</data>
<data name="ID_ERROROPEN" xml:space="preserve">
<value>The file could not be loaded:</value>
</data>
<data name="ID_ERROR" xml:space="preserve">
<value>Error</value>
</data>

RESX files may also contain static layout information from dialogs. Using this information the dialog can be visualized, changed and checked. The structure in the file is the same but the content is different.
<data name="btnClose.Location" type="System.Drawing.Point, System.Drawing">
<value>350, 429</value>
</data>
<data name="btnClose.Size" type="System.Drawing.Size, System.Drawing">
<value>75, 23</value>
</data>
<data name="btnClose.TabIndex" type="System.Int32, mscorlib">
<value>3</value>
</data>
<data name="btnClose.Text" xml:space="preserve">
<value>Cl&ose</value>
</data>

For String Table resources there is no visualization.

@Selcuk: In many cases there is no localization engineer and in some cases it doesn't make any sense as the localization engineer usually doesn't speak the target language and is not able i.e. to abbreviate strings if necessary.

Strings that appear in dialogs are usually short and the ability to visualize the dialog will offer additionally context to the translator that helps to improve the translation quality.

@AGV: This is not completely true (see above). Even with RESX files SDL Passolo can visualize and change dialogs. But: Localization managers and engineers must be aware of the limitations when advanced dialog design techniques like inheritance are used. Our recommendation is to localize the binary files: Less files to process and better visualization.

Achim Herrmann
Collapse

Joanna Dlugokecka
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with creating strings list for a large XML file Jul 20, 2011

Dear Achim,

Now I have another problem. I am uploading an XML file (pretty big) and error message comes up saying it cannot be scanned. When I double click it says 'There are no translatable strings in this source'. Why is that?

Thanks,
Joanna

Achim Herrmann
Achim Herrmann
English to German
XML parsing rule Jul 21, 2011

Hello Joanna,

the structure of XML files is usually user defined and you have to create a rule, telling Passolo which elements and attributes must be extracted for translation.

Achim Herrmann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing/resizing boxes in Passolo

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »