Research: Localizing dynamic websites
Thread poster: Ofietje (X)
Ofietje (X)
Ofietje (X)
Apr 13, 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm a student of the ‘Master in Translation studies’ at the HUBrussels. I'm writing my thesis about 'the problems that may arise when localizing dynamic websites' and I was hoping you could help me providing information for my research.

The concept of ‘problems’ can be very broad: from language and culture related problems to the technical limitations of the localization software, the fragmentation of the process for big companies, which elemen
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm a student of the ‘Master in Translation studies’ at the HUBrussels. I'm writing my thesis about 'the problems that may arise when localizing dynamic websites' and I was hoping you could help me providing information for my research.

The concept of ‘problems’ can be very broad: from language and culture related problems to the technical limitations of the localization software, the fragmentation of the process for big companies, which elements should or shouldn't be localized or may pose problems for the translator (colors, images, icons, currency, numeric and date formats, layout and making the difference between main body text and peripheral text), etc.

For my research I am looking for people who want to share their experience on this topic.
- Which problems have you encountered and how did you solve them?
- Which tool do you prefer and why? What are its limitations and is there room for improvement?
- Etc.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dynamic... Apr 14, 2011

Ofietje wrote:
I'm writing my thesis about 'the problems that may arise when localizing dynamic websites' and I was hoping you could help me providing information for my research.

I think the problems with dynamic web sites would be similar to the problems with software in which placeables are used. Authors of dynamic web sites often don't realise how other languages are different, and that one can't just chop long sentences (or even phrases) up into smaller chunks.

Take this simple sentence: "If you pressed the button, the file would be sent to you". If the web site author had programmed this as "If [1] pressed the button, the file would be sent to [1]", and you had to translate it to your language, the translation may be ungrammatical when it appears on the web site, because although "you" and "you" is the same word in English, it may not be the same word in another language. But I'm sure you know this already.

Ofietje (X)
Ofietje (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Research: Localizing dynamic websites Apr 15, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Ofietje wrote:
I'm writing my thesis about 'the problems that may arise when localizing dynamic websites' and I was hoping you could help me providing information for my research.

I think the problems with dynamic web sites would be similar to the problems with software in which placeables are used. Authors of dynamic web sites often don't realise how other languages are different, and that one can't just chop long sentences (or even phrases) up into smaller chunks.

Take this simple sentence: "If you pressed the button, the file would be sent to you". If the web site author had programmed this as "If [1] pressed the button, the file would be sent to [1]", and you had to translate it to your language, the translation may be ungrammatical when it appears on the web site, because although "you" and "you" is the same word in English, it may not be the same word in another language. But I'm sure you know this already.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, I was indeed aware of that problem but the more people that mention this problem, the more I can write about it and the more complete my research will get.

Cooperation Feb 7, 2012

A translator alone could harldy localize a dynamic website unless he or she knows hph or asp.net programing languages. The best way is to assign the project to a team comprised of translators and programmers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Research: Localizing dynamic websites

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »