Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:22
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Translation Jan 27, 2011

Hello,

I have finally sorted and synchronised the two files. I have also used Jabberwock's formula (customized) to compare the two columns, to check if I had missed some strings, which proved useful beacuse I really had.

Now, I have two nice files, identical in string IDs, mostly different in text values of the strings (translated) but also with text identical values (new, untranslated strings).

Some portions of the file:

FORM Searc... See more
Hello,

I have finally sorted and synchronised the two files. I have also used Jabberwock's formula (customized) to compare the two columns, to check if I had missed some strings, which proved useful beacuse I really had.

Now, I have two nice files, identical in string IDs, mostly different in text values of the strings (translated) but also with text identical values (new, untranslated strings).

Some portions of the file:

FORM SearchForm 'Menu Navigator'
Panel Panel1 '', ' '
Label Label1 '', 'Enter search string :'
Button Bt_search '', 'Find'
Button CB_TreeV '', 'Tree view'
Button CB_FastNav '', 'Fast navigate'
Button CB_FastS '', 'Fast search'
Button CB_AutoH '', 'Auto hide'
Panel Panel2 '', ' '
Button Bt_Navigate '', 'Navigate'
Button Bt_Do '', 'Execute'
Panel Panel3 '', ' '
ENDFORM

dlPwdChMsgConnect 'Logging on to server'
dlPwdChMsgChange 'Changing the password'
dlPwdChMsgLogoff 'Logging off from server'

Which of the existing CAT tools would help me most in translation of this kind of file?
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:22
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Okapi Rainbow Jan 28, 2011

It depends on how comfortable you are with complex tools...

Trados has a configurable regex filter, but it is a bit unwieldy. Personally, I would use Okapi Rainbow ( http://okapi.opentag.com/ ) to extr
... See more
It depends on how comfortable you are with complex tools...

Trados has a configurable regex filter, but it is a bit unwieldy. Personally, I would use Okapi Rainbow ( http://okapi.opentag.com/ ) to extract the content with regex filter: http://www.opentag.com/okapi/wiki/index.php?title=Regex_Filter

Note that whatever method you choose you can still take advantage of Excel functions: using a simple comparison you might get only those strings which have the same source and target values (if you only want to extract those) or the opposite - just those which are different (so you can align them and then use for pretranslation). But of course you can do that also with regex - it's just more difficult.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing two files with strings and sorting the target file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »