when ''speaking to buncombe'', what method to interpret, consec or simul.
Thread poster: anamia06
anamia06
anamia06
Local time: 06:37
Romanian to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2013

Hi, my dear proz colleagues!

I would like to ask you if it has ever happened to you to deal with such impossible texts to interpret that you had to do it only consec. even though simultaneously was required (or vice-versa). I mean, I had to interpret for someone who was speaking to buncombe, and even I was supposed to do it consecutively, I found it easier to do it simultaneously with no booth and other equipment. It was a bit awkward but I managed and all ended well. Sometimes, s
... See more
Hi, my dear proz colleagues!

I would like to ask you if it has ever happened to you to deal with such impossible texts to interpret that you had to do it only consec. even though simultaneously was required (or vice-versa). I mean, I had to interpret for someone who was speaking to buncombe, and even I was supposed to do it consecutively, I found it easier to do it simultaneously with no booth and other equipment. It was a bit awkward but I managed and all ended well. Sometimes, speakers deliver such non-sense speeches that I start wondering if the problem is not mine.

Thank you very much!

anamia
Collapse

Samah El Mahdy
Samah El Mahdy
Egypt
Arabic to English
+ ...
It depends Sep 27, 2013

In fact, it depends. on the type of event and audience
Based on my experience, if your some of your audience are bilinguals (i.e. understand both source and target languages), it is better to translate simultaneously since 1) they will know that the speaker is saying nonsense, will say this when your audience ask them about whether they understand and will be curious to know what you do, and as such you can prove your proficiency and 2) if it is translated consecutively, you will have to m
... See more
In fact, it depends. on the type of event and audience
Based on my experience, if your some of your audience are bilinguals (i.e. understand both source and target languages), it is better to translate simultaneously since 1) they will know that the speaker is saying nonsense, will say this when your audience ask them about whether they understand and will be curious to know what you do, and as such you can prove your proficiency and 2) if it is translated consecutively, you will have to make sense of the nonsense by filtering what is worth-translation but you might encounter some provocative bilinguals who would interfere and play the back seat driver" role.
When it is like this I prefer to fully stick to what is being said and record my interpretation by mobile to put myself in the safe side.
However, if it is a workshop or a training course and you are sure that you understand and that the audience are mostly depending on you to understand, you have to translate what makes sens.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
Russian to English
+ ...
You really have to try to interpret in the mode Sep 28, 2013

which is required. For various seminars, parts of trials and conferences it has to be simultaneous. You have to try, somehow, even though it may be really hard when someone else mumbling or saying total nonsense, outside of any even slightly acceptable grammatical system.

Certain types of speech, like the types used during various examinations, depositions, and many other events, require strictly consecutive type of interpreting. You have to really try to stick to the type requir
... See more
which is required. For various seminars, parts of trials and conferences it has to be simultaneous. You have to try, somehow, even though it may be really hard when someone else mumbling or saying total nonsense, outside of any even slightly acceptable grammatical system.

Certain types of speech, like the types used during various examinations, depositions, and many other events, require strictly consecutive type of interpreting. You have to really try to stick to the type required. If the speech is totally unbearable, you have to ask for a break and tell someone and they will instruct the speaker how to speak when everything they say is being interpreted. Many speakers don't pay any attention to the interpretation, and they behave as if they were talking to their aunt: this is the reason why many have to be reminded and instructed how to speak -- slightly slower -- at least at a bearable speed, no more than 200 words per minute, clearly (although with some people, this remark is hopeless -- no effect at all).
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I just had to Google "speaking to Buncombe". Sep 28, 2013

I think you mean "speaking bunkum"

anamia06
anamia06
Local time: 06:37
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 1, 2013

Thank you for your replies, dear colleagues,

Lilian and Samah, you are both right, you need to interpret what is required and yes, consecutively is harder when the others speak nonsense.

philgoddard, I agree it's bunkum but also buncombe after Buncombe a county in North Carolina whose Congressional representative gave quite a nonsense speech at some point in time. He struck his audience by saying so many things without saying actually nothing...
See more
Thank you for your replies, dear colleagues,

Lilian and Samah, you are both right, you need to interpret what is required and yes, consecutively is harder when the others speak nonsense.

philgoddard, I agree it's bunkum but also buncombe after Buncombe a county in North Carolina whose Congressional representative gave quite a nonsense speech at some point in time. He struck his audience by saying so many things without saying actually nothing

all the best!
anamia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

when ''speaking to buncombe'', what method to interpret, consec or simul.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »