Ana Crespo
Ana Crespo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 27, 2013

Hello Everyone-

I was just invited for an interpreting job on July 4th. I live in the US, so this is a national holiday for me. Assuming you charge a different rate for a national holiday, what is it? I have been told by a friend that usually people charge twice their traditional hourly rates (so, if you usually charge $25, during a holiday, you would charge $50). Before I commit to anything, I want to make sure I am asking what is fair according to the market.

Than
... See more
Hello Everyone-

I was just invited for an interpreting job on July 4th. I live in the US, so this is a national holiday for me. Assuming you charge a different rate for a national holiday, what is it? I have been told by a friend that usually people charge twice their traditional hourly rates (so, if you usually charge $25, during a holiday, you would charge $50). Before I commit to anything, I want to make sure I am asking what is fair according to the market.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ana

[Edited at 2013-06-27 19:35 GMT]
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Double it! Jun 27, 2013

Most other jobs are paid time and a half for working on national holidays, but anything more professional, doctors, dentists, etc, will charge more than that. I would personally ask for at least double my normal rate.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Never heard about that Jun 28, 2013

Ana Crespo wrote:

Hello Everyone-

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ana

[Edited at 2013-06-27 19:35 GMT]

I have never heard about a holiday rate, sometimes conferences are held on Saturdays and Sundays and nobody I know, including me, has ever applied a higher rate for those days.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, definitely -- one and a half at least, but taking into consideration Jun 28, 2013

that this is the 4th of July, I would double it. Also before 9 am and after 5 pm the rates are slightly higher (one and a half, usually).

Chiara Cherubini
Chiara Cherubini  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
Never done it for interpreting jobs Jun 29, 2013

I agree with Giuseppina, I have never heard of this practice for interpreting (at least here in Europe, I don't know much about the US Market).

Here we usually charge a daily rate which depends on other aspects of the job (topic, daily working hours, interpreting modus etc.) and it does not usually change according to the day of the week.

Different story for translating: if I must work on the weekend (the text is sent to me on Friday and has to be sent back on Mo. morni
... See more
I agree with Giuseppina, I have never heard of this practice for interpreting (at least here in Europe, I don't know much about the US Market).

Here we usually charge a daily rate which depends on other aspects of the job (topic, daily working hours, interpreting modus etc.) and it does not usually change according to the day of the week.

Different story for translating: if I must work on the weekend (the text is sent to me on Friday and has to be sent back on Mo. morning), I apply an upcharge.
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
Russian to English
+ ...
See -- things are different here. Jun 29, 2013

A holiday is a holiday.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

July 4th Fees (Holiday Fees)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »