Chinese student living in US, what certification should I get to do translation/interpretation work?
Thread poster: biaoliu
biaoliu
biaoliu
United States
Local time: 04:06
Member (1970)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 19, 2013

Hi everyone, my question is in the topic, many thanks! A little background:I have a master's degree in global management, looking to do some freelance work. Many thanks!

parlezvous
parlezvous
Local time: 07:06
English to French
+ ...
Requirement Jun 19, 2013

First of all, make sure your visa allows you to work while holding student status. Otherwise, you could end up in a lot of trouble.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. You don't need any certifications -- you may get some if you'd like Jun 20, 2013

You really need a work permit -- I think students are only allowed to work a certain numbers of hours, like 20 hours a week, at the campus, or something like that. You have to check the details, because there are different types of visas.

You would need a certification for court -- to work as an interpreter, but you really have to be a US citizen to work for most courts.

[Edited at 2013-06-20 14:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese student living in US, what certification should I get to do translation/interpretation work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »