Thread poster: Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2012

I am looking for advice on the best way forward with regards training as an interpreter in the UK. I am currently starting my dissertation for my MA in Translation Studies so I am not interested in combined translation and interpreting courses. I am also worried about funding a masters. I have looked into DPSI but since I am planning on moving abroad at some point I am not sure this would be useful.

sonjaswenson (X)
sonjaswenson (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
MACI Mar 15, 2012

It depends what kind of interpreting you are interested in.

Both Bath and London Met have good conference interpreting programs.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
PgDip or DPSI Mar 15, 2012

For conference interpreting universities offer PgDips instead of full MAs for those who want to concentrate on interpreting only. A Masters in CI would include some translation modules as well. Check out the Bath, Leeds and Herriot-Watt university websites.

For community/public service interpreting there are various ways to go about it. Check with your local Council or LEA (local education authority) if they offer Community Interpreting courses (there's level 1,2 and 3). Of course,
... See more
For conference interpreting universities offer PgDips instead of full MAs for those who want to concentrate on interpreting only. A Masters in CI would include some translation modules as well. Check out the Bath, Leeds and Herriot-Watt university websites.

For community/public service interpreting there are various ways to go about it. Check with your local Council or LEA (local education authority) if they offer Community Interpreting courses (there's level 1,2 and 3). Of course, there's also the DPSI.

Good luck!
Collapse

adpb (X)
adpb (X)
France
Local time: 19:46
English to French
Not always Mar 25, 2012

Just to qualify the above posting: not all Masters in CI include a translation component.
London Met has recently opened a new MA in CI to replace the former MA at Westminster. Like its predecessor, it teaches conference interpreting exclusively with no translation module.

Louise Souter (X)
Louise Souter (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 26, 2012

Thank you for your advice. I shall assess my options.

SelenaD
SelenaD
United Kingdom
English to Czech
+ ...
DPSI Apr 6, 2012

I am looking into the DPSI courses available in London. Quite a few of them, huge differences in enrolment fees... I'm having difficulties to pick one. I heard College of North West London was the best option but unfortunately they no longer offer this course. Some feedback on from anyone who has taken the course would be appreciated.

Would you have anything to say good or bad about?...

- Goldsmith College
- Hammersmith and Fulham Adult Education
- Kensingt
... See more
I am looking into the DPSI courses available in London. Quite a few of them, huge differences in enrolment fees... I'm having difficulties to pick one. I heard College of North West London was the best option but unfortunately they no longer offer this course. Some feedback on from anyone who has taken the course would be appreciated.

- Goldsmith College
- Kensington and Chelsea College
- Middlesex University
- South Thames College
- Westminster Adult Education Service

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

KKanok
KKanok
United Kingdom
English to Czech
Same problem May 1, 2013

Hi Selena,

I just came across your message.
I am currently looking into the same, would like to do DPSI in Local Government but am struggling to find a good course.
My language is also Czech, have you managed to find any useful info?

Thank you
Kate

SelenaD wrote:

- Goldsmith College
- Kensington and Chelsea College
- Middlesex University
- South Thames College
- Westminster Adult Education Service

Thanks in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Training as an interpreter in the UK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »