Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Yoga or pilates for neck's contractions?
Thread poster: Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:06
French to English
. Jan 23, 2022

Vanda Nissen wrote:

Jorge, try pilates or yogalates, and you need to find a good instructor. I would suggest staying away from yoga because it can actually make things worse. Youtube videos are OK if you do not have any pain, if you have pain or vulnerable spots in your body, you need to be very careful. I was taking pilates classes for my lower back with my physiotherapist and resumed my yoga classes only after I received a green light from my physio. Walking is a good activity but it is not going to resolve your neck issues.

If yoga makes something worse, you're doing it wrong.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Jan 23, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Then you could also say gymnastics is yoga without spiritual element or yoga is gymnastics with spiritual element. I think yoga is also about endocrine system and energy meridians.

Pilates is more about finding a sweet spot between muscle contraction and relaxation. See for example this reverse shoulder stand: http://bodyiq.co.za/portfolio-items/what-is-pilates In yoga, you have to do it without the device support, which changes the excercise entirely.

Yoga and pilates both have a "mind/body approach" (as per your link), which is completely absent from gymnastics. And you can't get an Olympic medal for yoga or pilates either, because there is no competitive element.

Ivana Kahle

Kay Denney
France
French to English
. Jan 23, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Please don't judge us late-30s males for peer pressuring early-30s males into taking care of their health and fitness. It's an essential mechanism for male motivation.

Besides, we really do require slightly different fitness routines than expecting mothers and senior citizens to stay fit and healthy.

Also, OP seems to have some financial concerns. Pushups are free and running costs only about one pair of decent shoes every 300-500 km.

I'm not judging you for peer-pressuring anyone into taking care of their health.
(Although I'm also not at all convinced that it's necessary, since OP is asking for advice as to how best to take care of his health, the motivation is already there.)

What I'm taking issue with is that your message was disparaging of women and yoga and pilates, which was completely uncalled-for. It's perfectly possible to encourage a guy to take up certain sports without insulting other people and other sports, so please refrain from derogatory comments in the future.

Nobody disputes that pregnant women have different needs to males of the same age. But your message was not only insulting, it was inaccurate, in that yoga and pilates can be beneficial to men and women alike, whatever their age, whatever their physical state.

Concerning yoga, it's even more beneficial to men, in that it has endocrinal effects, it can boost oxytocin and lower cortisol and testosterone, which generally results in the yogi being an all-round nicer person. You might find it helps you too.

expressisverbis
Ulla Kask
Ivana Kahle
Marina Taffetani

Cmilja Milosevic
Cmilja Milosevic  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
What type of personality are you? Jan 23, 2022

What type of personality are you? - That is the question. I personally find yoga perfect, it helps me relax and stretch at the same time. Some people like more aggressive exercises, so to say... There are different tips and tricks for everyone over the internet, you only have to dedicate some time to yourself and see what works the best for you. Have fun!

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not trying to be rude here, Jan 24, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

If yoga makes something worse, you're doing it wrong.

But I trust more my physiotherapist with a relevant degree than a stranger from Proz.com:). You do not know me, my condition and you are not an accredited Australian physiotherapist.

Lingua 5B

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yoga or pilates for neck's contractions?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »